PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1781 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

tomorrow is the big day!

there might be some more information here not sure.

https://pub-victoria...English&Item=11

I suspect that a developer will propose a multi-use facility that the City will pay for and operate.  

#1782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:27 AM

I suspect that a developer will propose a multi-use facility that the City will pay for and operate.  

i don't understand.  what's in it for the developer?  i mean more so than just say the developer/builder the city is going to hire to build the crystal?

in the case of our arena "what's in it for the developer?" was that the city paid for it and the developer can run it for profit as he sees fit for 25 or 30 years or whatever the agreements are.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2020 - 07:29 AM.

#1783 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:55 AM

i don't understand.  what's in it for the developer?  i mean more so than just say the developer/builder the city is going to hire to build the crystal?

in the case of our arena "what's in it for the developer?" was that the city paid for it and the developer can run it for profit as he sees fit for 25 or 30 years or whatever the agreements are.

Probably something similar to the firehall. A developer owns or has optioned land and offers to sell a portion of it to the City as part of a larger development which gets bonus density and exemptions from amenity contributions. 

I think the City's biggest concern is that they know they won't get a referendum passed with their current proposal so they are trying to structure something that eliminates the need for a referendum or sweetens the deal a lot.

Edited by spanky123, 06 February 2020 - 07:56 AM.

#1784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:59 AM

oh i see.  you had phrased it as a "multi use facility" rather than development.  ya i could see that.  but i also don't think this current council is into that kind of arrangement.  they like to work all aspects of the project.

quite frankly i think today's city hall discussion on the thing will be must-watch tv.  i've set my tivo to capture the stream.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#1785 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

The project update was removed from the COTW agenda this morning.

There was an in camera meeting prior. Once the COTW meeting broadcast is available, you can hear the Mayor's explanation at the start.

I infer the school site is off the table.

#1786 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:37 AM

The CoV's management of this project is completely laughable and it's years away from even breaking ground.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1787 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

The City has issued a release that basically says that since the discussion about the pool now involved land acquisition future meetings will be held in camera. Like the firehall, in my opinion the next we will hear about the pool is after the Mayor has signed an agreement to build one.

• Nparker likes this

#1788 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:32 AM

Update: Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre Replacement Project

Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020
For Immediate Release

VICTORIA, BC — In this morning’s Closed Council Meeting, Victoria City Council directed staff to explore new opportunities to locate the Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre replacement facility, consistent with prior direction that the new building will be located in the North Park or Hillside Quadra neighbourhoods. 

These new opportunities emerged after Council gave direction on January 9 to bring forward a report detailing the six sites that have been previously assessed. That report is available here.

As such, Council has deferred consideration of this matter until the new opportunities are investigated. Because this involves potential land acquisitions, the City is not able to provide more information publicly until staff complete their work. Staff will be reporting back to Council in a timely manner.

Council is committed to replacing the facility and ensuring that the community has access to a new health and wellness facility that responds to the diverse needs of the public.

There is an active maintenance program in place for the current Crystal Pool to mitigate risks to ongoing operations while the replacement project moves forward.

Once a preferred site has been identified, staff will develop an updated scope, timeline and budget to complete the next phase of work.

—30—

#1789 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

Careful what you wish for NPNA. You might get to keep your greenspace while the pool moves to Quadra Village.
  • Nparker likes this

#1790 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

Council has deferred consideration of this matter until the new opportunities are investigated

And how many times have we been fed this line?

#1791 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:01 PM

And how many times have we been fed this line?

• when the arena idea came up
  • when the central high idea came up

#1792 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Careful what you wish for NPNA. You might get to keep your greenspace while the pool moves to Quadra Village.

No problem...they still get a Community Centre, Community Kitchen and Community City Hall for the new "NPNA Inclusivity Centre Of Enlightenment". Membership is free and comes with a tie-dye t-shirt and sandals.
  • Nparker, Bernard and Victoria Watcher like this

#1793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:35 PM

And a monthly award from the Mayor.

#1794 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:55 PM

I think everyone will be happy as long as some surface parking remains at Central Park. Doesn't matter whether you like to think of yourself as an environmentalist, an urbanist, a progressive, a conservative, a communist, or etc. In all cases the main objective should be to preserve and protect Victoria's surface parking.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1795 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:59 PM

...In all cases the main objective should be to preserve and protect Victoria's surface parking.

Exactly, lest some greedy developer gets their hands on it and destroys perfectly good older, single family homes in the process.

Edited by Nparker, 06 February 2020 - 01:59 PM.

#1796 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:47 PM

no city facility is expected to cost-recover.

...where i come from, we were prepared for recreational facilities to lose money, that is normal, but a  stand-alone, purpose built parking lot would be expected to at least recover costs...

so if the parking was part of the facilty, no cost recovery, but built on another site, where use from other than the recreation facility was expected...that is a different matter...

...of course, i need to remember that this is the CoV...

#1797 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

the current crystal pool parking lot has no cost recovery it's free.

#1798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

We have asked that the project be built in one of the large city-owned parking lots that blight this area, recently referred by some profiteers as the “Stadium District.” The thousands of us who live here refer to it as the place we raise our kids, participate in community life and where we proudly, but often barely, afford to live.

We have asked that the project include much-needed affordable child-care spaces, a community kitchen and a full-size indoor gymnasium. Those pleas have been echoed through many letters to mayor and council over the years.

A single-purpose aquatic centre does not provide the variety of out-of-water and non-sport recreation and community needs required of Victoria’s single recreation centre, situated adjacent to the commercial core and in growing neighbourhoods that do not have community centres. These centres provide 80 per cent of all child-care spaces in Victoria.

https://www.timescol...pool-1.24069632

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 February 2020 - 06:11 PM.

#1799 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

"profiteers"

Oi vey.  :whyme:

#1800 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

...if i remember correctly, parking structures require 80% occupancy/use in order to break even...they can't be empty, except, overnight, or they just bleed money...

...as it should be, as part of the recreational facility... the context of cost recovery was raised in response to a suggestion of a second layer of parking at the RAP...which is a whole different animal...

Attached Images

• parking.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users