PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#661 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

That's gotta be one heck of a tall tower or major project to get back their $60 million public amenity investment. How do you even make money on a project that is costing you $60 million before you even break ground? In a 120-unit condo tower, that'd be half a million per unit just on the amenity cost alone.

Well I am sure that if a 3rd party was building the pool it would be $20M max. Even that $60M figure from the City has a $30M plus contingency so that Helps can claim it was built under budget.

#662 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Well I am sure that if a 3rd party was building the pool it would be $20M max. Even that $60M figure from the City has a $30M plus contingency so that Helps can claim it was built under budget.

Impossible. Heck we have an example of this in the CRD with the Langford Aquatic Centre. Westhills paid $30 million+ to built that facility, and that is a much smaller facility than what is being proposed for Victoria.

Even some of the more basic new rec centre/pools in the province started at around $35-40 million. UBC's new pool was $40 million, Grandview Heights in Surrey was $55 million.

#663 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

But could our pool have a lower cost as part of a 20-floor tower?  The exterior walls of our new pool building are required to hold up the rest of the building.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#664 aastra

aastra
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

They have illustrations of the concept in the lobby. Did we all know that? The hot tub is shown moved from the south side to the north side. But otherwise the big pool remains nearest to Quadra and runs east/west like it does now, and the family pool goes in the same place at the end of the big pool.

#665 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

We got no money but we have some drawings.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#666 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Where is the potato chip vending machine going to be located?

#667 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

Impossible. Heck we have an example of this in the CRD with the Langford Aquatic Centre. Westhills paid $30 million+ to built that facility, and that is a much smaller facility than what is being proposed for Victoria.

Even some of the more basic new rec centre/pools in the province started at around $35-40 million. UBC's new pool was $40 million, Grandview Heights in Surrey was $55 million.

We are talking different costs. In the Crystal Pool example the land is free and the developer would only be incurring their own costs of construction. 

West Hills built the pool themselves and I don't think that they ever disclosed what it cost them. 

Edited by spanky123, 03 January 2018 - 05:57 PM.

#668 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

We are talking different costs. In the Crystal Pool example the land is free and the developer would only be incurring their own costs of construction. 

West Hills built the pool themselves and I don't think that they ever disclosed what it cost them. 

Sorry, what are the differences? You said that if a third party developer was to built the Crystal Pool project that it would only cost $20 million. As I mentioned, an example of that has happened in Langford with their aquatic centre. Crystal Pool land is free in the same way that the Langford Aquatic Centre land was already owned by Westhills.

Not including the land, the Langford Aquatic Centre cost Westhills $30 million (the figure was widely reported in the media). Again, that was for a much smaller facility than what the CoV wants, so I'm not sure how it is possible that a third party could develop Crytal Pool for $20 million max as you suggest.

#669 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

So perhaps with Westhills, it included a roof, and parking and landscaping.  Here it requires a ceiling but not a roof, but the ceiling could be charged to the floor of the units above.

I think you can see how at least some money is saved, no?

The largest recreational facility in Langford will include two waterslides, a 25-metre lane pool, a wave pool, a hot tub and a 6,500-square-foot fitness and workout room. The fitness centre is named for John Goudy, a philanthropist and Langford resident.

The new facility, part of City Centre Park at 1319 Westhills Dr., was built as a partnership among YMCA/YWCA, the City of Langford and Westhills Land Corp. It cost $30 million.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 January 2018 - 06:21 PM.

#670 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

Where is the potato chip vending machine going to be located?

This will be an all-access health facility; it will be an opioid vending machine.

#671 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

So perhaps with Westhills, it included a roof, and parking and landscaping.  Here it requires a ceiling but not a roof, but the ceiling could be charged to the floor of the units above.

I believe that the only time the cost was raised was when the West Hills folks were negotiation the fees with the YMCA and Langford (ie we are building you a $30M building so this is what we want in return). 

I am not disputing that it costs money to build things, my point was that Crystal Pool wouldn't cost a developer $60M out of pocket as stated. 

#672 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

That Westhills building also includes the new Victoria Conservatory of Music, a new Library along with other YMCA services like rooms for yoga/daycare a teen centre etc.  A real bargain.  

The Y downtown is probably moving to another downtown location.....so it's probably in everyone's interest that the CoV doesn't get involved to screw it up.

http://www.timescolo...move-1.22198447

#673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Poll results are in!

51% voted to support a new poll, 49% were against.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#674 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:54 PM

Poll results are in! 51% voted to support a new poll...

So what will this poll be asking?  ;)

#675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

Stupid autocorrect :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#676 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Poll results are in!

51% voted to support a new poll, 49% were against.

I second that.

#677 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

It's a poor tradesman that blames his tools.

• Nparker likes this

#678 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,740 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

So what will this poll be asking?  ;)

Auto-correct or Freudian slip?  :P

• Mike K. likes this

#679 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

My question, other than why the city won't cost share/land swap with the YMCA, is:

Why are we getting something so mediocre when Kelowna got this for $46 million ($55 million in today's dollars with 2% inflation) at the end of the last building boom? 

#680 aastra

aastra
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

Don't quote me but I believe the concept images in the lobby show 10 lanes in the big pool (as versus only 8 in Kelowna's new pool or in the existing Crystal Pool).

Edit... images here...

Edited by aastra, 04 January 2018 - 11:17 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users