PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#681 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Don't quote me but I believe the concept images in the lobby show 10 lanes in the big pool (as versus only 8 in Kelowna's new pool or in the existing Crystal Pool).

Edit... images here...

Yeah, but one's a bike lane so the rest are narrower. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 04 January 2018 - 11:25 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#682 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

From this website: "Project features include a 50m, eight-lane competitive pool with two bulkheads and 1m and 3m diving boards; a wave pool with up to 1.2m waves; a wave river with integral vortex pool; a waverider surfing facility; a children’s water park; a universally accessible family whirlpool for 20; an adult whirlpool for 12; four water slides; a steam room; a fitness centre; an aerobics studio; a childcare facility; a multiuse meeting room; and associated changing, administrative, and service facilities."

Here are the conception drawings for Crystal Pool.

Ten lanes or eight lanes, overall it's not even close. In my mind, why is a new one even being designed when a better one has already been constructed at a lower cost? Buy the design from Kelowna or their architect, lines up your site conditions and "neighborhood aesthetic claddings", and get some shovels in the ground.

One more tidbit, the new facility appears to be around 65,000 square feet, whereas the Kelowna one is 96,000. Once more, an example of Victoria paying more for less.

Edited by TallGuy, 04 January 2018 - 11:38 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, but one's a bike lane so the rest are narrower. 

You jest but...

aqua-bike.jpg

• Rob Randall, rmpeers and Star Dust like this

#684 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

nd get some shovels in the ground.

Not so fast though.  They have to tell us how they are going to pay for it, and if it is by borrowing money, we need to vote on that.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#685 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

I agree. My point is that it's a waste of money to design it from scratch. But that's what all municipalities do all of the time.

Edited by TallGuy, 04 January 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#686 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

I agree. My point is that it's a waste of money to design it from scratch. But that's what all municipalities do all of the time.

If all they did was use other people's proven designs then why would we need to employ a team of designers and architects?

#687 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

Not so fast though.  They have to tell us how they are going to pay for it, and if it is by borrowing money, we need to vote on that.

And why we need a 50m competition pool when Saanich already has one and there are only a handful of events each year that require a 50m pool

I think that if the pool question had given more options then yes we need a new pool or not we would have received different responses.

#688 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

If all they did was use other people's proven designs then why would we need to employ a team of designers and architects?

Victoria is an easy mark for designers of bridges, treatment plants and swimming pools who are just getting their feet wet.

#689 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

And why we need a 50m competition pool when Saanich already has one and there are only a handful of events each year that require a 50m pool

I think that if the pool question had given more options then yes we need a new pool or not we would have received different responses.

This has been discussed many times. Victoria is unlikely to get any major international swim meets in the future because the current international standard is 10 lanes, not the 8 that is at Commonwealth. So a 10 lane pool is needed to attract major events, something the City has identified as a major priority. Tourism Victoria and Sporthost Victoria have recently partnered to increase sport tourism in Victoria.

#690 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

This has been discussed many times. Victoria is unlikely to get any major international swim meets in the future because the current international standard is 10 lanes, not the 8 that is at Commonwealth. So a 10 lane pool is needed to attract major events, something the City has identified as a major priority. Tourism Victoria and Sporthost Victoria have recently partnered to increase sport tourism in Victoria.

It would be cheaper to add two lanes to Commonwealth Pool.

#691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

It would be cheaper to add two lanes to Commonwealth Pool.

Especially for CoV taxpayers.

#692 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

It has been discussed many times and isn't true. Only Olympic and World Championship events require 10 lanes and we would never see either of those in Victoria anyways.

https://www.fina.org...ities_rules.pdf

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#693 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:42 PM

the Kelowna pool is exactly why i didn't vote yes for crystal pool in the recent poll.. the images from the the Kelowna pool are very inviting, it looks like a pool people will want to go to and will drive from other parts of town to go to, it has draw, it has things that other pools don't have and that is BIG, the current sketchings for the Victoria pool look down right boring, honestly it doesn't look like a family pool you'd bring your kids to for an afternoon of fun, there's nothing exciting that will want me to drive across town to go to THAT pool vrs another pool (like commonwealth.. i will drive from downtown area, a 5 minute walk from crystal pool to go to commonwealth because of the additions that it has to make the experience more fun for me/my kid) heck i'd rather go to esquimalt pool then crystal

#694 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

It has been discussed many times and isn't true. Only Olympic and World Championship events require 10 lanes and we would never see either of those in Victoria anyways.

https://www.fina.org...ities_rules.pdf

Just FYI, the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships (which Victoria held in 2006) is considered a World Championship-level event. Victoria also hosted another World Championship-level event, the Commonwealth Games.

To say we would never see a World Championship-level swimming event in Victoria is false; we've already seen two of them.

Anyways, to the original point, I think this poll shows what a lot of folks in Victoria already think outside of this forum; that a new pool is most certainly needed. And if we're building a new pool, why not build it so that it can host anything? Langford is going to be regretting building a 5-lane pool in only a few short years when it's at capacity, considering the population growth of that community.

#695 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:42 PM

Just FYI, the Pan Pacific Swimming Championships (which Victoria held in 2006) is considered a World Championship-level event. Victoria also hosted another World Championship-level event, the Commonwealth Games.

To say we would never see a World Championship-level swimming event in Victoria is false; we've already seen two of them.

Anyways, to the original point, I think this poll shows what a lot of folks in Victoria already think outside of this forum; that a new pool is most certainly needed. And if we're building a new pool, why not build it so that it can host anything? Langford is going to be regretting building a 5-lane pool in only a few short years when it's at capacity, considering the population growth of that community.

So over the course of 23 years we might potentially miss out on two events. I can live with that. 

• Nparker and Cassidy like this

#696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

... I think this poll shows what a lot of folks in Victoria already think outside of this forum; that a new pool is most certainly needed. And if we're building a new pool, why not build it so that it can host anything?...

If the new and improved Crystal Pool is going to be such a great regional asset then perhaps the rest of the CRD should help fund its construction.

Edited by Nparker, 04 January 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#697 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

If the new and improved Crystal Pool is going to be such a great regional asset then perhaps the rest of the CRD should help fund its construction.

Heh, heh. Helps is still trying to get the CRD to pay for the money losing conference centre and MacPherson.

Besides it is not a regional facility. How many people in Saanich or Langford are going to bypass their own pools to drive into Victoria?

Edited by spanky123, 04 January 2018 - 02:58 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#698 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

Ya, but we live on planet earth where our 13 municipalities have so much ego that it plugs their ears when the words "regional planning" come out of someone's mouth. You and I both know that would never happen. Wasn't that the plan for SOFMC?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and spanky123 like this

#699 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

Heh, heh. Helps is still trying to get the CRD to pay for the money losing conference centre and MacPherson.

Besides it is not a regional facility. How many people in Saanich or Langford are going to bypass their own pools to drive into Victoria?

it depends on what the pool has to offer that the local closer pool doesn't... like specific programs (for example if you want to do water polo you have to go to commonwealth pool, they were the only rec center that offered archery classes for kids-in the summer people drove from langford to do the summer archery program) or something fun esquimalt pool has a great lazy river whirlpool.. the pool needs to have something to draw people in.. i know people regularly drive up to commonwealth for classes or to play on the wibit when it's out or the wave pool is a huge draw..

#700 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

Why would the rest of the CRD pay for Victoria's pool, yet Victoria not pay for their pools?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users