PROPOSED
Crystal Pool Fitness Centre
Use: civic
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool Fitness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool

• Please log in to reply
701 replies to this topic

#701 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 713 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

Can you imagine the many nice things we'd have with amalgamation?

Rather than bickering about who pays for what ... we'd actually have pretty close to world-class "everything", all in the best weather in the country.

What's becoming terribly apparent though, is that the CRD isn't just "13 little municipalities" ... it's actually comprised of a full spectrum of far-left to far-right voters, who - in the grand scheme of things - probably couldn't agree on how to cook an egg let alone amalgamate and try to do things like bridges, pools, arts centres, etc as ONE rather than as a bunch of tired little kingdoms who can only wonder who's paying for what - and more commonplace "what's in it for me"?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, spanky123 and 1 other like this

#702 On the Level

On the Level
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

rather than as a bunch of tired little kingdoms who can only wonder who's paying for what - and more commonplace "what's in it for me"?

I believe the fear (what appears to be confirmed in the comments above) is an attitude of "what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine".  As I have mentioned before, I would be OK with 2 or 3 amalgamated cities, but one would simply drain funds into the core.  From policing costs to whatever, the underlying motive is to retain commercial revenue for downtown residents while extracting new funds from others that are not downtown.  

Anyways,back to the pool.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users