PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#781 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

But don't they want a firehall sort of where the existing one is?  They already have one on Bay St.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#782 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Probably.  

Crystal Pool is closer to 848 Johnson Street and Our Place, no?

Edited by jonny, 08 March 2018 - 02:18 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#783 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

with only a few days left to give your feedback online about the new crystal pool replacement project

http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

let the city know what your thoughts are (if they will listen to them)

#784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:51 PM

...let the city know what your thoughts are (As if they will listen to them)

There, fixed that for you.  ;)

• A Girl is No one likes this

#785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

The survey is purely on what the new facility should include, not whether the muni should even pursue the $70 million project
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#786 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:28 PM

with only a few days left to give your feedback online about the new crystal pool replacement project

let the city know what your thoughts are (if they will listen to them)

Interesting........

timeline.JPG

August...

Victoria is co-ordinating with the YMCA-YWCA, as the city plans a replacement for the Crystal Pool, to reduce duplication of services, Mayor Lisa Helps said.

Edited by On the Level, 29 March 2018 - 11:30 PM.

#787 crystalpoolforall

crystalpoolforall
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

How are you all getting the word out about the current Crystal Pool survey closing on saturday March 31st?  i'm concerned when i canvas friends and neighbours that they have no idea it's ongoing, just as few people who don't use the pool currently had little idea of the first survey in summer of 2016 which assessed the needs of the community.  Based on the proposed concept design that resulted from that initial survey, i feel pretty confident in saying that it heavily skewed to existing users of the pool, and in particular, the organized swim clubs of the pool.  There's only 2 more days left for people to express concerns over the narrow offerings proposed for the new crystal pool.  how can we make sure the most people possible fill out this survey and make clear that this facility can cater to elite athletes and club swimmers, but only if it has first prioritized the needs of the broader Victoria community of children/families, youth, seniors, etc etc.

Suggestions on what you've all done so far to get a better ore fullsome discussion going on the pool design?  what you've found to be working/not working?  I'm quite surprised i have to say at how little chatter there is regular discourse about this significant project and investment.  i'm not understanding why there doesn't appear to more scrutiny over the features chosen and omitted - in particular the community services that would make sense to co-locate - childcare and housing, a dedicated space for youth and seniors.  and from the recreation side, it's kind of shocking that there's no indoor gymnasiums or fields for basketball, volleyball, badmington, pickleball, table tennis, soccer given the money maker they are and the fact that they are booked solid throughout the region and so lots of latent demand. same goes for indoor tennis and arts centres like the one at cedar hill.  

I've started a twitter feed @crystalpoolforall to try and highlight some of the elements of the concept design in which i have concern or feel we're missing opportunities for greater community social impact.  It's also intended to be a site to keep the average citizen/non-current user of the Crystal Pool apprised of major milestones in the project and when there are opportunities to provide feedback.  I'm not a big social media person and new to twitter so it's a bit slow in the uptake with followers.  Haven't really had a lot of impact re driving people to the survey. 

A blog is in the works to outline some basic info so people have one place to go and read some objective analysis/critique of the project.  the blog is at www.crystalpoolforall.com but is under development so not being launched loudly at this point.  hoping to get some time this weekend to populate the various pages set up.  Accepting of others' op-eds to go on this site provided they're fact-based and productive. Also would be happy to hear any suggestions for motivating people in the community to "pool" their voices and ask City Council to revisit the proposed concept design before we progress too far with a project that doesn't tick off enough of the boxes for critical community services and wide-ranging recreation for All Ages and Abilities.

#788 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Three years to build a pool?!?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:13 AM

Wow, what a first post, indeed.

Welcome to VV, crystalpool.
  • Matt R. and crystalpoolforall like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#790 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

Confirm funding sources this summer eh?
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#791 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:13 AM

This entire "tear down" rather than "refurbish" seems very much a late 50's and 60's mindset.

The 50's and 60's are when most Canadian (and American) cities lost substantial portions of their architectural heritage, functional (and often beautiful) buildings torn down only to be replaced by buildings that, in general terms, either didn't last, or didn't age well at all.

I'm not sure that after two "Crystals" in Victoria, one of which we've saved (although #1 isn't really even more than a shell of its former self), and #2 which is only 47 years old and about to be torn down ... bodes well at all for what is starting to look like a #3 Crystal?

At least we got 59 years out of the main Fire Hall, which although not long, is still over a decade more than the 1st "new" Crystal Pool.

It would seem we need to hold the powers that be to task, and insist that they construct public buildings that have a lifespan of at least 100-150 years, rather than spend millions of dollars on public buildings that have apparent lifespans of less than 50 years.

#792 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

The private market can expend that kind of money, but tax payers are not better served spending twice the cost for a building so that it can last twice as long. All buildings require maintenance, and the older a building gets the more maintenance it requires. The private market recoups a profit from its buildings and can afford the maintenance. Public buildings not only require public money to be built, they generate no revenue while requiring tax payers to operate them, and still require regular, costly upkeep.

Know it all.

#793 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Ottawa pledges $4.1B for B.C. infrastructure, including transit

Commitment will also fund green infrastructure, recreation facilities, rural and northern projects

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ansit-1.4602563

Trevana said the agreement will also see $1.1 billion put toward green infrastructure projects and $157 million will be spent on playgrounds and recreation centres across B.C.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 April 2018 - 10:38 AM.

#794 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

...$157 million will be spent on playgrounds and recreation centres across B.C

And 1/3 of this has been targeted for the Crystal Pool replacement project?  :confused:

#795 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

I guess we are also hoping for provincial money.

#796 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

I guess we are also hoping for provincial money.

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

#797 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:32 AM

And 1/3 of this has been targeted for the Crystal Pool replacement project? :confused:

Over 10 years! The City is now talking referendum again but after the election and presumably after we have spent millions on plannng and design.

#798 crystalpoolforall

crystalpoolforall
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Where did you hear City is now talking referendum again and after the election?

#799 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

Where did you hear City is now talking referendum again and after the election?

On the Crystal pool website.

Edited by spanky123, 03 April 2018 - 11:45 AM.

• spanky123 likes this

#800 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

Did You Know?
  • Council voted unanimously to replace the nearly 50 year old complex with a new facility, approving a budget of $69.4 million.
  • Today, one in five residents cannot access the Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre. The new facility will welcome all ages and abilities through a design that removes barriers to participation.

That disingenuous, a stretch, and ridiculous.  Bordering on complete bullsh*t.

At the very most, 15-20% of people, that are not institutionalized,  report some type of disability.  And that includes:

Hearing Disability
Visual Disability
Cognitive Disability
Ambulatory Disability
Self-care Disability
Independent Living Disability

So to say that currently 20% of the population cannot access the Crystal is a load.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 April 2018 - 12:10 PM.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users