PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#801 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:17 PM

The City has been in discussions with the upper levels of government to get their feedback on the project, Helps said, and it appears all are looking to make a determination on major funding by March 31.

https://www.vicnews....r-crystal-pool/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#802 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

That disingenuous, a stretch, and ridiculous. Bordering on complete bullsh*t.

At the very most, 15-20% of people, that are not institutionalized, report some type of disability. And that includes:

Hearing Disability

Visual Disability

Cognitive Disability

Ambulatory Disability

Self-care Disability

Independent Living Disability

So to say that currently 20% of the population cannot access the Crystal is a load.

That's pretty rediculous. I'm nearly blind in one eye, I can still drive, play hockey, powerlift, work, etc. But they assume I can't swim?*

*It looks like they are just assuming any person who has any sort of impairment can't go.

#803 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Where did you hear City is now talking referendum again and after the election?

• We are actively seeking support from other levels of government to help fund the new centre. If funding is not secured from external sources, a referendum will be held next year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#804 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

That disingenuous, a stretch, and ridiculous.  Bordering on complete bullsh*t.

At the very most, 15-20% of people, that are not institutionalized,  report some type of disability.  And that includes:

Hearing Disability
Visual Disability
Cognitive Disability
Ambulatory Disability
Self-care Disability
Independent Living Disability

So to say that currently 20% of the population cannot access the Crystal is a load.

And they make no mention of the 80% of the population that never goes to the pool because they don't want to.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and rmpeers like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#805 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:14 PM

And they make no mention of the 80% of the population that never goes to the pool because they don't want to.

or chooses to go to a different pool because of.. the lack of parking, the lack of anything fun/activities at the pool (which the new design doesn't fix)...

though i could see them argue that within that 20% is families who don't go to crystal due to lack of family change room

#806 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:53 AM

though i could see them argue that within that 20% is families who don't go to crystal due to lack of family change room

Choosing not to go is hardly the same as not having access to. 

#807 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:28 AM

It's not much of a choice when you have a crappy pool with lousy facilities vs. a great pool with okay facilities.

• Midnightly likes this

#808 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

It's not much of a choice when you have a crappy pool with lousy facilities vs. a great pool with okay facilities.

Again not the same as saying that "20% of the population cannot access the pool". As VHF states, it is a BS claim made solely for the purpose of misleading people into supporting a pet project.

#809 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

That's pretty rediculous. I'm nearly blind in one eye, I can still drive, play hockey, powerlift, work, etc. But they assume I can't swim?*

*It looks like they are just assuming any person who has any sort of impairment can't go.

It is pretty ridiculous to somehow make this about your situation, or any other partial disability that OBVIOUSLY is not one that makes it difficult to use the facilities. I happen to be totally blind in one eye and this is referring to neither you nor I. There are plenty of visual disabilities that could limit access to the pool. 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#810 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

It is pretty ridiculous to somehow make this about your situation, or any other partial disability that OBVIOUSLY is not one that makes it difficult to use the facilities. I happen to be totally blind in one eye and this is referring to neither you nor I. There are plenty of visual disabilities that could limit access to the pool. 

But do fully 20% of the population have them?  And of the population that might have a challenge accessing the pool, what percentage want to access it?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 April 2018 - 08:18 AM.

#811 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:30 AM

The only way you'd approach 20% is by including hearing disabilities. I can fully vouch for hearing disabilities having little to no affect on accessibility to a pool.

#812 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:02 AM

I can fully vouch for hearing disabilities having little to no affect on accessibility to a pool.

It might be a barrier to leaving the pool though. 

"The pool will be closing in 15 minutes" comes over the loudspeaker, and the deaf people do not leave.   I guess they could flash the lights or something. 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 April 2018 - 09:02 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#813 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Yes, there are some improvements that could be made for stuff like that. I'd be more concerned with an alert should a lifeguard blow a whistle - that one is more important. However, these aren't barriers to using the pool completely, but are accessibility issues that pretty much no local pool deals with.

I'm more concerned with accessibility issues that prevent actual use of a facility. Captions in theatres for example, which is pitifully dealt with.

#814 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:51 AM

So now, to garner public support for the over-priced Crystal Pool project, Lisa Helps is suggesting a "low-cost" housing component be built over underground parking.

...could [the city] use the parkland, at [Crystal Pool], for housing without holding a referendum. “I think the issue the community has is with a parking lot in the park. So if the proposed housing/child care/newcomers space can be very close to the same footprint as the parking lot would be anyway, then I think it would probably be preferable to have housing there than a parking lot,” Helps said...Victoria council voted last year to replace the Crystal Pool complex [at a] cost estimate [of] $69.4 million. Reserve funds will provide $10 million, and $6 million is expected from the federal Gas Tax Fund. The city is hoping the federal and provincial governments will each fund 40 per cent of the project through grants, leaving it to cover 20 per cent...

http://www.timescolo...ayor-1.23322817

Call me a cynic, but it seems like this was probably the idea all along. Suggest something awful like a surface parking lot in the park, then ride in like a white knight with this brilliant "new idea" of social housing. This sort of tactic seems exactly like what we've come to expect from this mayor over the past 4 years. Even with this "social justice add-on:, I still don't see how the CoV can afford the Crystal Pool project without any guarantee of federal or provincial funding.

• A Girl is No one and Cassidy like this

#815 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:41 AM

It does seem a bit disingenuous for Helps to trumpet to the local press that - "instead of surface parking lots, we'll have underground parking lots"!! ... selling it as an "original" idea which Helps feels she should be getting credit for.

What are these "underground parking lots" she speaks of?

Is this women a seer of some sort? ... a prophet?

Underground parking lots, who'd have thought ..... "oh - and we'll build a building above them too"!

She's obviously a genius (I looked for a clown emoji to put after this last sentence, but there isn't one, so please imagine a juggling clown in place of this sentence).

• Nparker, Midnightly, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#816 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:44 AM

So now, to garner public support for the over-priced Crystal Pool project, Lisa Helps is suggesting a "low-cost" housing component be built over underground parking.

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahaha.  just what the CoV needs more low cost housing.  Is Helps plan to move into one of these units after she leaves office?  Looking at her LinkedIn page she doesn't seem to have any high paying jobs outside her job with the CoV

• jonny and Cassidy like this

#817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

...She's obviously a genius (I looked for a clown emoji to put after this last sentence, but there isn't one, so please imagine a juggling clown in place of this sentence).

This seems close enough to represent our Mayor and her disingenuousness:

:banana:

#818 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

So where are the people who want to use Crystal Pool going to park? Presumably the 100 underground spaces will be taken up by residents of the affordable housing complex. The report suggests that the Pool users will instead bike, walk or take public transit to the facility, yet one of the reasons we opted for a new pool instead of a refurbishment was that we needed to support disabled and elderly users.

The part that the TC didn't mention was later in the report. With the addition of affordable housing and a new resident base, it is being recommended that the Crystal Pool/housing facility be upgraded to house a gymnasium, art centre and a new community centre and that the whole complex be designed to use net 0 energy.  Who is going to pay for all that?

This is going down exactly the same path as the bridge. We are spending lots of money with no fixed design and individual groups with vested interests all trying to add in their own pieces.

Edited by spanky123, 02 June 2018 - 10:09 AM.

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#819 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm not against the city building the parking lot....but what is concerning is the haphazard change for the pool.  She seems to be making things up as she goes along, without much of a thought about the ramifications.  Where is her plan?  Has she given much thought about the impact of a decision like this?

This sounds to me like the makings of another blue bridge funding fiasco.

• Midnightly likes this

#820 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

Just imagine Lisa Helps in lieu

Attached Images

• no plan.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)