PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#921 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

Where is all the spectator seating for the next world class swimming event? 

Right. Olympic and World swimming events were the justification for 10 lanes right? No spectators at those events?

• Bingo likes this

#922 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

There isn't a design in the world that would get me to support $60 million+ in additional debt at this time.

The City would only need approval to borrow, say, $10 million, to trigger the federal and provincial funds, and cover the rest of the estimated costs. The program the City's pursuing would have the feds cover 40% of the project and the province 33%. How would you feel about that?

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 18 June 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#923 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

$10 million is coming from the local taxpayer as part of the City's contingency fund, $6 million from the federal gas tax. If the City's referendum asked for another $10 million from the CoV taxpayer, that would leave $44 million for provincial and federal funding.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#924 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

The City would only need approval to borrow, say, $10 million, to trigger the federal and provincial funds, and cover the rest of the estimated costs. The program the City's pursuing would have the feds cover 40% of the project and the province 33%. How would you feel about that?

I would still vote no. The JSB fiasco is still far too fresh in my mind. Ask me again in 10 years; maybe then I will feel different.

Edited by Nparker, 18 June 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#925 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

$10 million is coming from the local taxpayer as part of the City's contingency fund, $6 million from the federal gas tax. If the City's referendum asked for another $10 million from the CoV taxpayer, that would leave $44 million for provincial and federal funding.

That is why I was asking about the consolidation of the park reserve funds. That might free up another $4M if the fund could be used.

The gas tax money ($6M) is only available if we can finalize the remaining $50M+ by Feb of 2019 or get an extension. 

Edited by spanky123, 18 June 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#926 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

I do think the City should really consider whether this is the best location for a new centre

#927 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:36 PM

I do think the City should really consider whether this is the best location for a new centre

I think that the plan all along was to use central park and build low income housing, they were just giving us the news in stages to try and get buy in. I don't think that there are too many other spaces in the core that would provide that large a footprint.

Edited by spanky123, 18 June 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#928 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

I think that the plan all along was to use central park and build low income housing, they were just giving us the news in stages to try and get buy in. I don't think that there are too many other spaces in the core that would provide that large a footprint.

Wouldn't be more convenient on Douglas?  Douglas and Blanshard, maybe the old Canadian Tire lot, maybe where that burned out abandoned travelers inn is?

#929 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

...I don't think that there are too many other spaces in the core that would provide that large a footprint.

The RAP parking lot would be large enough for a recreational facility with housing built above and underground parking below.

map.JPG

All of the existing Crystal Pool area could then be turned into green space.

#930 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:45 PM

All of the existing Crystal Pool area could then be turned into green space.

I'd rather they sold it to fund the new pool

#931 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

I think that the plan all along was to use central park and build low income housing, they were just giving us the news in stages to try and get buy in.

I don't think that there are too many other spaces in the core that would provide that large a footprint.

The sports field at Blanshard and Hillside is large enough. see my previous post #906

#932 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

The sports field at Blanshard and Hillside is large enough.

Does the City or the school district own that property?

#933 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

Not the City, so probably the school district. Map of City-owned properties at https://bit.ly/2JXDyDA

Last week Council voted to postpone discussion of putting housing atop a surface parking lot beside the pool, after neighbours around Central Park complained about the potential loss of green space. As Ben Isitt pointed out, the City owns several properties that are currently home to surface lots, and housing could be built on top of those, without losing park land.

• Kungsberg likes this

#934 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

...As Ben Isitt pointed out, the City owns several properties that are currently home to surface lots, and housing could be built on top of those, without losing park land.

As loathe as I am to agree with Ben Isitt, the RAP site (see my map above) makes considerably more sense for housing than losing green space at Central Park. That being said, the mayor's motivation to add a social housing component to the Crystal Pool proposal was more than likely a way to manipulate the feds/province, the CoV voters or both to get support for her legacy project..

#935 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

Another issue with the rendering other than lack of seating (which I suppose could be behind the glass walls?) is the sheer lack of pool deck space. There needs to be a lot more of that for swim meets, and for people in general. Looks way too tight. Visit Commonwealth and see that even with the spacious deck space, it's pretty full, especially during meets.

• Nparker likes this

#936 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

AFAIK, there's no seating in the new Crystal because they expect meets to be held at Saanich Commonwealth. The main reason for the 50m length is to satisfy the training demands of swim clubs and triathletes.

Anybody going to the open houses today? I'd love a report.

#937 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 07:35 AM

AFAIK, there's no seating in the new Crystal because they expect meets to be held at Saanich Commonwealth. The main reason for the 50m length is to satisfy the training demands of swim clubs and triathletes.

Anybody going to the open houses today? I'd love a report.

You don't need 10 lanes for training.

#938 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Sorry, we need the parking at RAP to be expanded not removed completely.

• sdwright.vic and pennymurphy2000 like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#939 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

Sorry, we need the parking at RAP to be expanded not removed completely.

Parking for RAP could be expanded underground with housing above.

• tedward likes this

#940 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 934 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

The new design is online at http://www.victoria....nt-project.html

Main pool is still 50m (8 lanes) but with a movable floor and two movable bulkheads. Now there are two hot tubs instead of one, and an "enlarged leisure pool with 25m lanes and a lazy river". The building is no longer the rectangular box in the early designs, but one that "opens up to the park on three sides to enhance the experience of swimming in the park." The building seems to be much larger than the one in earlier drawings with the $69M budget. Is the budget about to change now, too? 

Attached Images

• newpoolconfig.jpeg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users