PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1301 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:56 AM

I'd like to say the CoV will learn from Richmond's mistakes, but...

It was delivered late, but within the $79 million budget. Let's see COV do that.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:02 AM

are swimming pools even a good idea during a climate crisis?

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#1303 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:03 AM

It was delivered late, but within the $79 million budget. Let's see COV do that.

Touché

#1304 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:34 AM

Don't know why the Mayor waited 2 months to present this to council, but the Feds have rejected the Mayor's latest request for Crystal Pool funding.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=36068

By my count Mayor Helps has had 100% of her requests denied, most of which have been due to following the wrong process.

Edited by spanky123, 11 April 2019 - 07:35 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1305 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Because she always does it her way.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1306 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

Selina Robinson said she won’t entertain the project without a referendum. Now the feds said (again) they won’t entertain funding without provincial backing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1307 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

Even if Her Worseship finally consents to a public referendum on this project and gets overwhelming support, based on the JSB fiasco, what guarantees are there that this won't go well over budget too?

#1308 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

If I was a City staffer I would be chuffed. You spend years developing relationships with your counterparts at other levels of Government and you work quietly and behind the scenes securing the funding and programs that fit the model. All of that then gets tossed out the window by a Mayor who thinks that she knows best and wants to try and raise her profile. 

• Cassidy likes this

#1309 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

Even if Her Worseship finally consents to a public referendum on this project and gets overwhelming support, based on the JSB fiasco, what guarantees are there that this won't go well over budget too?

The City tested the idea and a referendum wouldn't pass. That is the sole reason why it wasn't attempted and the project ultimately shelved. 

The one thing I don't understand though is that the Mayor told us 2-3 years ago that if we didn't support the referendum then we would have to shut down Crystal Pool because it would be too costly to maintain. Here we are with no new pool and no short term plan to replace it yet it seems to be operating fine and within budget.

• Daveyboy likes this

#1310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:11 AM

Reminds me of Fortin’s concerns courtesy of his engineers that the JSB would come crashing down within years if it wasn’t replaced. Recall that one of the first acts of the replacement project was the immediate removal of the rail span.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1311 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

If I was a City staffer I would be chuffed. You spend years developing relationships with your counterparts at other levels of Government and you work quietly and behind the scenes securing the funding and programs that fit the model. All of that then gets tossed out the window by a Mayor who thinks that she knows best and wants to try and raise her profile. 

I don't get why that would be pleasing to staff?

#1312 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:45 AM

I was being sarcastic hence the British word (the British can be very sarcastic!).

#1313 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

I just take it as a given that it would go way over budget. If it does go ahead, it could be a boondoggle that casts a shadow over the reign of Mayor Isitt post 2022.

#1314 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

I was being sarcastic hence the British word (the British can be very sarcastic!).

I see - I thought it was perhaps a malapropism of chafed.

• Matt R. likes this

#1315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:51 AM

...Mayor Isitt post 2022.

I just died a little inside.

#1316 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

"Chuffed" is one of those fun words that is an antonym to itself. See more on wiki: https://en.wikipedia...ki/Auto-antonym

• Mike K., Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1317 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:45 PM

It was going to go over budget....we all knew that.  JSB is not yet done.....it's still out of control between legal and no fenders.

A watchdog group is citing previously unreleased consultants’ reports to suggest the Crystal Pool replacement could cost closer to $90 million — significantly more than the $69.4 million Victoria has budgeted.

But city officials maintain that the project is still in development and they are still working within the $69.4-million envelope.

https://www.timescol...lion-1.23426792

Does anyone seriously believe it would come in under $100M?   Does anyone seriously believe that Helps and crew would care?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1318 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

No surprise but the proposal to relocate Crystal Pool to the RG parking lot has died. New plan is to put it where the park is located at Central Middle School. Another $250K wasted.

Was this location ever considered before? And by "park" does this mean the school's playing field?

CMS.JPG

#1319 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

where does that quote come from?  about the death of the rg idea?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2019 - 03:23 PM.

#1320 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

where does that quote come from?  about the death of the rg idea?

https://vibrantvicto...ssion/?p=490622

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)