PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1821 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:04 AM

I believe we are officially in decade #2 of planning this project, while users of Crystal have been suffering from heart burn thinking their pool (which they love) would get replaced at any minute.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1822 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:08 AM

Last night on the news was an article about how much the city of Halifax is going to have to cut back on necessities. I said to my husband, oh well, at least have lettuce seedlings.

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#1823 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:01 AM

Last night on the news was an article about how much the city of Halifax is going to have to cut back on necessities. I said to my husband, oh well, at least have lettuce seedlings.

It is crazy. Every other City is being forced to cut back on expenditures given the drop in revenue yet Victoria keeps finding ways of spending more money. Yesterday council voted to take $500K from "contingency funds" to to drive more 'resiliency' projects to their friends and supporters, $30K to fund seedling delivery to people who don't have gardens and have staff get projects 'shovel ready' that they just finished deferring last month because they don't have money.

Must be nice to not understand economics. 

• Nparker likes this

#1824 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

My understanding is there is a huge federal pipeline of cash coming, and it will be directed towards shovel-ready projects. Municipalities all across the country are trying to fast-track various initiatives in order for their funding applications to qualify.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1825 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:01 PM

My understanding is there is a huge federal pipeline of cash coming, and it will be directed towards shovel-ready projects. Municipalities all across the country are trying to fast-track various initiatives in order for their funding applications to qualify.

You mean like during the last recession when billions were set aside for infrastructure projects that never materialized.

Not that I expect the Feds to care about money or make good decisions but construction is one industry that hasn't been as severely impacted over the past few months as many others.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1826 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:17 AM

With no new cases of COVID-19 on Vancouver Island in a month, and with businesses and amenities reopening, so too are municipalities beginning to reopen recreation centres.

The District of Oak Bay’s municipal hall remains closed, likely for June, says the Mayor Kevin Murdoch. However, on Monday Oak Bay released a series of dates for the reopening of daycare and recreation centres since they closed in mid-March.

It starts with the June 15 opening of the Paddington Station Day Care in the Neighbourhood Learning Centre, which is part of the new Oak Bay High building.

https://www.vicnews....tres-in-stages/

#1827 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:35 PM

All quiet on this front, it looks like.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1828 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

All quiet on this front, it looks like.

Good. There is no justifiable reason for undertaking this expenditure for at least 5 years. 

#1829 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Well....if they hadn't screwed everything up we would be close to the first swim.  

timeline.JPG

#1830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:13 PM

Can you believe the whole thing was derailed by Helps refusing to hold a referendum? There’s a good chance the funding would have come in bad the electorate been given the right to express its support for the project. But taxpayers never got the chance. And the province just pushed the plan off its desk.

Know it all.

#1831 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:57 PM

While the failure to launch this project is Lisa Helps' fault, the city, the province and the federal government all have significantly more pressing financial responsibilities now, so this is really a blessing in disguise. Taxpayer funded, "Cadillac" public projects like these, have no place when we are so far in debt. The CoV better get used to patching up the existing Crystal Pool for the foreseeable future, because unless private money comes on board, we cannot afford to build anything like what was envisioned.

#1832 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:00 PM

what’s great about that timeline is it does not even address where we are now. unable to even figure out where to put it even if we had the money.

all the original plans never envisioned it anywhere else but nearby where it is now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 July 2020 - 03:01 PM.

#1833 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:20 PM

In choosing to look at alternative options the City lost $6 million from the Gas Tax Fund, $1 million from the Canadian Tire Jump Start Grant, and the first two years of a 10-year federal-provincial grant that was ready to cover up to 72 per cent of the $69.4 million project.

Costs have been estimated to rise by up to $500,000 per month.

At the same time, however, the present and ailing facility is costing upwards of $100,000 per month in maintenance costs.

https://www.vicnews....-pool-facility/

That $500,000 a month extra in cost comes from the staff report and is in a number of news articles....so that's an extra $12M

Then it was uncovered that the design was estimated at $90M and not $69.4M....that's an extra $20.6M

A watchdog group is citing previously unreleased consultants’ reports to suggest the Crystal Pool replacement could cost closer to $90 million — significantly more than the $69.4 million Victoria has budgeted.

https://www.timescol...lion-1.23426792

They then blew $2.3M on the original design and consultations and who know how much since as they bounced around potential neighbourhoods.

$69.4M+ $12M + $20.6M + $2.3M (+ $?M) = $104M  

Did we expect anything less from our CoV Council.  It was bound to be another Johnson Street Bridge fiasco but this time they failed without lifting a finger.

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1834 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

....that's an extra $20.6M

I almost hate to mention it, but I'm pretty sure some insightful forumer here once suggested building a smaller neighbourhood-sized facility somewhere in the CoV. Such a facility would have cost somewhere in the ballpark of ~$25 million.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1835 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

I almost hate to mention it, but I'm pretty sure some insightful forumer here once suggested building a smaller neighbourhood-sized facility somewhere in the CoV. Such a facility would have cost somewhere in the ballpark of ~$25 million.

I don't think that anyone believes that the same pool proposed two years ago is now $20M more expensive to build. It was a number fabricated to try and establish a sense of urgency in order to get the pool funded and past a referendum. Since that plan feel through they will make up a new number based on what the need is at the time.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1836 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:18 AM

I don't think that anyone believes that the same pool proposed two years ago is now $20M more expensive to build. It was a number fabricated to try and establish a sense of urgency in order to get the pool funded and past a referendum. Since that plan feel through they will make up a new number based on what the need is at the time.

It was "The Grumpy Taxpayers" that exposed the estimate increase.....  

surveyors Advicas Group Consultants and Ross Templeton Associates have said the current design could add $8.8 million to $11.1 million to the $35.1-million estimate.

Advicas estimated the design would cost $43.9 million to build, and Ross Templeton said it would cost $46.2 million.

Mayor and council talk about a $70-million pool budget. The administration talks about as much as $80 million. The Grumpys figure it’s probably closer to $90 million

Edited by On the Level, 13 July 2020 - 05:21 AM.

#1837 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:15 AM

^I realize that is the number the City gave and the Grumpiest accurately reported on it, just saying the number was made up by the City to try and get support for a referendum.

Does anyone think it costs 30% more then it did two years ago to build a house?

#1838 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:38 AM

Staff are currentlfocusing on increasing opportunities for the community at the City’s outdoor recreation facilities, such as playgrounds, sports fields and Royal Athletic Park 

Under the new plan, the Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre is expected to reopen in January 2021. Staff are using time during the pool closure to complete planned repairs to the air handling system. This work was originally to take place in 2021. However, preliminary testing identified the need to do repairs sooner, so the work will take place this fall and is anticipated to be completed by the end of the year. 

https://www.victoria...recreation.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2020 - 07:39 AM.

#1839 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

If we replaced the Crystal 13 years ago when this thread was started it would still be due for a major refit so I guess it's a wash either way.

#1840 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:42 AM

If we replaced the Crystal 13 years ago when this thread was started it would still be due for a major refit so I guess it's a wash either way.

That’s my approach to house cleaning!
  • Rob Randall and On the Level like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users