PROPOSED
Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre
Use: commercial
Address: 2275 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 2
The City of Victoria is exploring the option of replacing the aging Crystal Pool Fitness Centre with a modern ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre on Citified.ca
Photo

Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre project

• Please log in to reply
1947 replies to this topic

#1921 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 01:02 PM

The current pool needs a little help but is fine. There is no reason to do anything other than fix the issues with the current facility. 

The City is currently seeking bids to design-build an upgrade to the pool's bolier system: https://victoria.bon...rtunities/65567. The old boilers were one of the major issues with the current facility, as I recall.

It would be strange to go to all the expense of upgrading the boiler system, and then tear down the pool for a replacement a few years later. Perhaps the City fears a borrowing referendum won't succeed, and is hedging its bets in case it has to keep the old pool running after all.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 28 April 2023 - 01:02 PM.

#1922 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 01:20 PM

^ Saanich just upgraded Commonwealth Place's pool heating system. Very cost effective approach with a clear and fairly short term ROI.

You are right, I can't see them spending the money and then tearing it down.

Edited by spanky123, 28 April 2023 - 01:20 PM.

#1923 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 02:05 PM

I hope common sense prevails. I go to Crystal Pool often and yes it needs new change rooms but the pools themselves are fine as they are. Resurface them, put in a new boiler and chemical plant and rebuild the entrance area. It will be cheaper and no one will be upset about it. 

• Mike K. likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1924 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 03:59 AM

The spending includes:

• $3.1 million for city-wide and area-based planning, housing, development approvals, climate action, urban design, heritage, social planning and equity, and tenant assistance.

• $22.1 million for multi-modal corridor improvements to support road safety, walking, cycling, transit, liveability and accessibility.

• $2.1 million to renew aging park infrastructure like washrooms, fencing, irrigation, furniture, signage, pathways, lighting and drinking fountains.

$1.8 million to restart the Crystal Pool replacement project.

• Nearly $1 million to be invested in a downtown revitalization program.

• $46.2 million to rehabilitate Victoria’s underground infrastructure.

• $11.7 million for road restoration and rehabilitation.

https://www.timescol...ncrease-6964435

#1925 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 04:03 AM

Crystal Pool keep-up a costly affair

By Brennan Clarke
Victoria News
Jan 12 2007

City councillors not anxious to throw good money after bad

Never underestimate this council.

#1926 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 06:55 AM

This year, Victoria council decided to revive the Crystal Pool replacement project and allocated $1.78 million to fund consulting services for project management and feasibility studies.

The 52-year-old facility, which is responsible for 40 per cent of the city’s greenhouse gas emissions, is at the point where replacement is a wiser option than repair, according to city staff reports. Maintenance of the facility costs the city about $2 million a year.

The city has talked about replacing the Crystal Pool for years; the last plan in February 2020 featured a return to an ­earlier design for a 50-metre pool and fitness centre.

Over the past four years, the city has spent about $2 million on pre-construction planning and design, with little to show for it.

A referendum on the project is expected to be held in 2024 and will include a binding question on the public’s willingness to borrow to build a new recreation centre, and a non-binding question about the centre’s location and amenities.

The referendum on the Crystal Pool is i­nevitable, as the city is required to seek public guidance for capital projects that break the $50-million threshold. Some estimates have ­suggested a new facility could cost $100 million.

https://www.timescol...-nov-20-7818878

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2023 - 06:55 AM.

#1927 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:03 AM

I'm OK with replacing the CP on the condition of no increase to my property taxes.

#1928 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:06 AM

$3.78 million and as far as I know, it hasn't even been decided where it'll be located.

#1929 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:22 AM

Where do you get $3.78 million? If it’s really that much, then my gosh.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1930 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:39 AM

This year, Victoria council decided to revive the Crystal Pool replacement project and allocated $1.78 million to fund consulting services for project management and feasibility studies.

The 52-year-old facility, which is responsible for 40 per cent of the city’s greenhouse gas emissions, is at the point where replacement is a wiser option than repair, according to city staff reports. Maintenance of the facility costs the city about $2 million a year.

The city has talked about replacing the Crystal Pool for years; the last plan in February 2020 featured a return to an ­earlier design for a 50-metre pool and fitness centre.

Over the past four years, the city has spent about $2 million on pre-construction planning and design, with little to show for it.

#1931 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:40 AM

Got it. Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1932 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:50 AM

October 2021:

"Council can only do so much at once and we can only raise taxes so much," said Lisa Helps, Mayor of Victoria, on Wednesday.

The mayor says with a number of big projects underway, it comes down to making hard choices around priorities – and a new Central Library has been deemed the top priority, over the pool.

"The current library has been in its temporary space for almost 40 years and an opportunity has come up," said Helps. "There are lots of developers in the downtown (core) who are saying, 'Hey, I can build you a library as part of my new development.'"

The city will now spend $200,000 on a feasibility study to determine whether to redevelop or move the Central Branch of the Greater Victoria Public Library.

"I think we need the pool," said one library user on Wednesday. "The library seems perfectly fine to me and I love the location."

https://vancouverisl...-2023-1.5632762

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 November 2023 - 07:50 AM.

#1933 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:04 AM

So who did eventually build us a library?

:rtfm:

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1934 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:05 AM

No pool, no library.

I doubt we’ll see either by 2030.

Know it all.

#1935 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:17 AM

Unless someone gifts these items to us, the CoV can't afford either and certainly not both.

#1936 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 08:37 AM

We could have a free pool if we did it right.

• Matt R. likes this

#1937 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 09:23 AM

No pool, no library.

I doubt we’ll see either by 2030.

One thing is for certain, nothing you will be told about the need for or cost of the pool will be true. As we have seen recently, the City will simply spin whatever tale they think they need to in order to get funding approved,
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1938 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 November 2023 - 06:00 PM

Wasn’t there a developer that offered to provide a library space in their project, but the City wasn’t interested?

Know it all.

#1939 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 05:49 AM

Too bad she does not elaborate here.

https://www.timescol...google_vignette

Alto said there’s enthusiasm around the council table for tackling things like Crystal Pool, Royal Athletic Park and Ship Point, but they will have to be realistic given the financial reality.

“Ship Point for example may start in this term, but it’s so big that I can’t imagine it could be completed in this term,” she said, adding that competing for time and resources are massive infrastructure projects to improve retaining walls, water and sewer systems, and roads.

They’re also tackling community safety with a panel of community leaders that will report back with options in the fall that are also likely to challenge the budget.

“There are so many things I’d like to do, and it’s hard to pick,” Alto said. “I think you’ll see introduction of some new things, but always in consideration of our ability to pay.”

#1940 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 28 December 2023 - 07:57 AM

The Crystal Pool Replacement Project will likely be the most expensive undertaking ever pursued by the City of Victoria with an estimated cost of $70 million.

Given the cost of the project, the city must receive its electors approval through a referendum or some alternative approval process.

That's only ten deer hunts. Nothing..... 

• aastra and Ismo07 like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users