Whale watching boat overturns off the coast of Tofino

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 rjag

rjag
  • 4,531 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:45 AM

Gotcha. So I think this wasn't a case of funding cutbacks, then, just people assuming that because private vessels were on scene first that the coast guard had failed Tofino.

Standard rule of Mariners, any and all vessels in the vicinity must respond to vessels in distress. I've been in boats 20-30 miles away and responded. more often than not its private or commercial vessels that are first on scene
  • todd likes this

#22 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:47 AM

I looked at CNN website this morning and its the Top Story in World news

http://www.cnn.com/2...inks/index.html

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:48 AM

Or maybe even a rogue wave, 15%* more dangerous.

*usual

Ha ha, The last time I encounterd a rouge wave was when my grandmothers cosmetic cream jar exploded.

#24 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:52 AM

Rogue wave could have swamped the stern and filled the vessel up quick

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:05 AM

I think Rouge Wave has announced a limited North American tour this coming spring, in support of Tinto Rocks.

• Nparker and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,348 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

Standard rule of Mariners, any and all vessels in the vicinity must respond to vessels in distress. I've been in boats 20-30 miles away and responded. more often than not its private or commercial vessels that are first on scene

Yup, that's how it's done. I was surprised at the lashback against the Coast Guard, is all. People were assuming all sorts of things.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 rjag

rjag
  • 4,531 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:19 AM

Yup, that's how it's done. I was surprised at the lashback against the Coast Guard, is all. People were assuming all sorts of things.

Other sites, folks have made idiotic comments that Harpers closure of Kits is somehow a factor....goes to show you, there are some real idiots that don't let facts get in the way of their foolish comments

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

Maritime safety is at the highest level it's ever been.  People are just ignorant.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:41 AM

Maritime safety is at the highest level it's ever been.  People are just ignorant.

A helicopter with infrared cameras and a billion candle power* spotlight was on scene in how many minutes?

It's Canada. Things get remote pretty quick once you leave your condo on Coal Harbour...

• rjag likes this

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,678 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

One report says two life-boats were afloat, empty, nearby.

Probably safe to assume whatever happened, happened pretty quick.  Someone got the mayday out, thankfully.

With 27 passengers, I wonder how many crew members were aboard.  Of course, if one or more of them go into the water right away, they become little help to others in terms of getting life-jackets passed out etc.

CFAX is now reporting that the 5 dead are British nationals.  No word on the one still missing.

Articles I've read state 24 passengers and 3 crew.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:45 AM

CKNW says the dead range from 18 to 76 years old.

#32 MsBunky

MsBunky
  • 1 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

What I don't understand is why there are no life jackets on the top level (assuming the setup is the same as other similar styled boats for whale watching). And why aren't people wearing them at all times? 

I don't know if that would have saved anyone or not, but it does make you wonder if the regulations should be changed so that they are mandatory during the trip. 

My heart is just aching for the loved ones of those who have died. I hope the ones saved are all able to recover from this, physically and mentally. And I do hope they are able to find the last body. What a tragedy. 

~ Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in ~

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

I wish I had video from our vacation last year showing the Leviathan as it rocked side to side in the choppy sea. Our large Zodiac was fairly stable, but when every boat stopped to watch some whales (which never showed), many people in the Leviathan were on the top deck, making it even more top-heavy. I was feeling a little queasy in the rough water but those passengers must have been driven dizzy.

The video now emerging shows fairly calm seas but that might not mean they didn't hit a rough patch. I still feel they must have hit a rock.

I know they are under the same rules as BC Ferries as far as life jackets but you must admit this is a different type of boating experience. A BC Ferry can't smack a rock or wave and immediately dump all its passengers into the ocean.

Edited by Rob Randall, 26 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.

• tedward likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm surprised we have yet to hear what exactly happened, from some of the survivors.

#35 todd

todd
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

I looked at CNN website this morning and its the Top Story in World news

http://www.cnn.com/2...inks/index.html

Was breaking news on CNN last night on TV just before I went to bed.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:50 PM

Video interview from one rescuer says that the tourists describe a rogue wave, that tumbled the boat over.

http://www.theprovin...9413/story.html

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

I agree, you can't have the Coast Guard stationed in every bay on the coast.

That's why it's unwritten that the locals are the first responders in almost every case.

I do however think the lifejacket regulations need to be reviewed.

There is absolutely no point in not wearing them expecting passengers on a small vessel to be scrambling to figure out how to get into a lifejacket as the boat rolls over. 

Lifejacket have evolved to the point where they are easy to wear, and a personal floatation device (PDF) is the way to go, but are not approved by Transport Canada to my knowledge.

https://www.tc.gc.ca...mation-1324.htm

By the way I see that that the Leviathan II is liquor licensed according to their website.

Was liquor available on this voyage?

https://www.jamies.c...65-cruiser.html

#38 todd

todd
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:28 PM

Inflatable PFDs are now approved on commercial vessels for persons over 16 and is recommended that they inflate automatically.

You should take off your life jacket if you enter an interior space if the vessel filled with water you would be pinned to the ceiling, this is why airplanes have long had inflatable life jackets and that is why they tell people not to inflate them until you exit the airplane.

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

But a local man who used to operate a boat for Jamie's Whaling Station, the company that owns the MV Leviathan II, told CBC News that the Plover Reef area off Vargas Island, where the accident occurred, is tricky to navigate. 

"You have the ocean currents running by the coast here, and the tides running out," said Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation member Joe Martin.

"Also the tide from the inlet is running out, and it all kind of meets up in that place and it makes it really rough."

"Occasionally a weird set of waves can come ... you always gotta be careful not to get broadside to them, to keep your bow into the waves as much as possible."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...cause-1.3288627

Rogue waves  https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Rogue_wave

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

CTV on Facebook is getting hammered for their headline or for even bringing up their last incident. In the comments.

I know how they feel.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.