Photo

Whale watching boat overturns off the coast of Tofino

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

^They had a duty to report the old incident but should have chosen a better headline than "Tofino whale watching company has history of tragedy". 

• Jill likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#42 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:03 PM

One incident 18 years ago isn't much of a history, considering how many trips a whale watching outfit makes in a single season.

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

By far, the most dangerous part of a whale watching trip is the drive to the dock.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:10 PM

But in fairness most every whale watching company has zero deaths ever.

Isn't it notable this has two?

Airlines don't get hammered too bad for fatal crashes. But I do not Google Lufthansa each time I'm comparing flights. I might Google Jamie's, and what's gonna come up first for the next decade?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

By far, the most dangerous part of a whale watching trip is the drive to the dock.

Yes, by far.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Of course a name change is in order if they survive the fallout, the scrutiny, the new insurance rates, the Internet hammering.

#47 todd

todd
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

Not that any assumption should be made based on previous incidents, but there was another incident in 1996 where a small aluminum vessel operated by the company but with only the captain on board crashed at full speed into Flores Island resulting in severe head injuries to the captain.

Bad luck may simply be at play here.

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 14,466 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

But in fairness most every whale watching company has zero deaths ever.

Yeah, but methinks this all comes down to passenger volume, the nature of the waters where the company happens to operate, the type of vessels that they happen to use, the distance from shore or other craft when the accident occurs, and old fashioned good luck.

Two fatalities in South Africa, 36 rescued...

No fatalities after encountering a rogue wave in Massachusetts...

No fatalities when two people went into the water near San Diego...

No fatalities when 32 people went into the water in Morro Bay, CA...

One fatality in Hawaii, 50 rescued from sinking boat...

Edited by aastra, 26 October 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

With fishermen in the family and lots of family friends involved in the industry, tragedy and accidents are a reality. We sometimes forget that despite our sheltered waters around the south Island and in the Georgia Straight, the open ocean is a different beast entirely. Our local whale watching operators have it pretty easy all things considered.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:13 PM

With fishermen in the family and lots of family friends involved in the industry, tragedy and accidents are a reality. We sometimes forget that despite our sheltered waters around the south Island and in the Georgia Straight, the open ocean is a different beast entirely. Our local whale watching operators have it pretty easy all things considered.

That's probably true.  Trickier up where they were.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:18 PM

Yup. There's a reason why the west coast of the Island is as infamous as it is. Our coastline is pretty intense at the best of times.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 todd

todd
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:52 PM

Apparently it was relatively calm off tofino during the incident yesterday. It can get pretty interesting off Victoria when it's 90k+.

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

Standard rule of Mariners, any and all vessels in the vicinity must respond to vessels in distress. I've been in boats 20-30 miles away and responded. more often than not its private or commercial vessels that are first on scene

As in Hartley Bay boats coming to the Queen of the North sinking.

#54 SamCB

SamCB
  • 614 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

I heard from some Tofino locals the boat had a flat hull design and was notoriously shaky out there.
As Mike said there is a good reason that particular part of our coast is known as the graveyard of the pacific.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:32 PM

Ya it only had a 1.6m draft.

#56 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

It was originally a fishing boat. Now, answer me this: as a fishing boat wouldn't there be much more weight in the hull, ice et cetera? Now as a tour boat it has less weight below and more above, in the form of an extra deck full of tourists?

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:49 PM

When fishing boats head out to sea they are often loaded with a slew of heavy cages up on deck so the volume of passengers wouldn't have been an abnormal weight for a fishing vessel of that size.

Know it all.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

I heard from some Tofino locals the boat had a flat hull design and was notoriously shaky out there.
As Mike said there is a good reason that particular part of our coast is known as the graveyard of the pacific.

It looks like the aluminum hulled boat was lengthened in 1996.

http://www.nauticape...dustries&Page=2

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:55 PM

It was originally a fishing boat. Now, answer me this: as a fishing boat wouldn't there be much more weight in the hull, ice et cetera? Now as a tour boat it has less weight below and more above, in the form of an extra deck full of tourists?

Well hopefully when the Coast Guard or whoever certified the conversion, they take that into account. You can't be the first to think of it.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

When fishing boats head out to sea they are often loaded with a slew of heavy cages up on deck so the volume of passengers wouldn't have been an abnormal weight for a fishing vessel of that size.

This may also be true. Who knows. Somehow I think even 27 passengers (5400 lbs?) is minor overall in the weight of the whole thing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users