PROPOSED
760 Tolmie Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 760 Tolmie Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
760 Tolmie Avenue is a proposal for 700-block of Tolmie Avenue at Oak Street through to Roderick Street to bui... (view full profile)
Learn more about 760 Tolmie Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich Core - Saanich] 760 Tolmie Avenue (Mayfair Lanes property) | Residential; retail | Up to 24-storeys

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

Lanes a shell of former self

Dunc Malcolm/Victoria News

Barely visible amongst the rubble, workers from Chew Excavating slog through the muck and debris of the former Mayfair Lanes bowling alley. The building is being demolished to make room for a Real Canadian Superstore outlet.

By Dunc Malcolm
Victoria News
Jan 12 2007

The former Mayfair Lanes on Tolmie Avenue is falling like… well, bowling pins.

The relic of a bygone era, when bowling alleys were favourite haunts for both the young and old, is under the wrecker’s ball to make room for the retail giant, Real Canadian Superstore.

Local demolition expert Chew Excavating has been on the job since last November, using a crew of five to methodically dismantle the building down to and including the foundation.

Project manager Seth Westwood said that so far, the project has not served up any surprises.

“It’s going as well as can be expected,” he said, adding that while the inclement weather has made the site soggy, it hasn’t seriously impacted the job’s timeline.

Westwood is confident that the demolition will be completed by the end of February.

Demolishing a building involves far more than just knocking down its walls. During the bidding process, contractors are invited to inspect the project to determine the nature of material involved and factor in any extraordinary costs associated with its removal.

In the case of Mayfair, the fact that asbestos was present came as no surprise to Westwood. “We knew it was there and made the appropriate arrangements with the hazmat team for its safe removal,” he said.

As for anything salvageable, Westwood said that a salvage company is often contracted to recycle or sell – usually through auction – any marketable materials, such as metal or wood. Hardwoods from the alleys, structural steel and copper wire from the electrical system would certainly qualify, he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright 2007 Victoria

I think this is going to be pretty cool. There was a rendering out there that showed the new building. I beleive it will be 2 storeys inside.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the chain, for some reason. (The reason being their produce never seems very nice, and I either bang into things or people with the weird carts, or else grocery items drop through the purse holder at the top, both latter occurrences leaving me feeling like a dork.)

However, I work in an office very, very close to this location, so I may be popping in when it's open. For milk.

And another thing. When I go to the grocery store for milk, how come it always costs me $38.42? Those experts who arrange the stores "just...so" certainly know how to make me spend.

I am surprised that it's only five people doing the work.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

They don't have enough organic.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

http://www.businessw... ... 9_6971.htm

Not everyone is pleased about mega-grocers getting into the organic food business. Farmers are concerned about dropping standards, cut-throat margins and inferior Chinese imports.

Mega-store shoppers don't usually care what's "in season"--instead demanding every item cheap all year round.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

I think this is going to be pretty cool.

What exactly is 'cool' about a big green and yellow box?

#6 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

They have big freezers.

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:36 AM

No it was a little more interesting than the usual store set-up because of the location and size of the lot. I beleive is also going to aluminium not the trad green and yellow. I know a lot of people that drive out to the one in Langford I just think it will be better if people don't do that.

It has a whole new look!

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

Anything happening out there yet? Who's our north Douglas St. correspondent?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#9 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

RCS has some good items, ie their "Bue Label" products and some others.

But I can't stand the place, ugly facade, garish lighting etc.

Also the fact that they assume you are going to shoplift something when you enter. No bags, packsacks etc allowed in.

My wife bought a small bag of goods while I was over looking at some furniture items, I walked over to the checkout line and when she was finished asked her to come over and look at a piece of furniture. We got stopped and told we couldn't walk the 30 feet to the furniture with a bag of goods. They told us we could leave it on the floor and then walk over to the furniture. Like that was going to happen. I told them to call the police - we were going the 30 feet to the furniture with our bag. Through them for quite a tizzy. After looking at the furniture and leaving I have never been back .
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Anything happening out there yet?

I just drove by the site earlier today. Nothing but a water filled indent of the bowling alley building. Not even any construction fencing yet.

#11 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

Apparently the construction plans and company have not been finalized yet. The only thing the public knows is it is supposed to be 2 levels underground parking and two levels of shopping (I guess food on one floor and the rest on the other)

#12 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

Apparently the construction plans and company have not been finalized yet. The only thing the public knows is it is supposed to be 2 levels underground parking and two levels of shopping (I guess food on one floor and the rest on the other)

Hmm I wonder if they'll have one of those long conveyer-belt type connectors for both levels so that people can take carts from one level to another?

I don't buy much food at SS, but when I get out there (too far to go unless I'm already out there for something else) I find that they often have a good selection of home-items stuff that can be hard to find elsewhere. For example nice-looking storage boxes etc. Yes they might be made in China, but then so are most other storage boxes that one buys from elsewhere in this town.

#13 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hmm I wonder if they'll have one of those long conveyer-belt type connectors for both levels so that people can take carts from one level to another?

The plans shown when they had the public hearing had a movilator (inclined moving sidewalk) between the food floor and the underground parking. I'm not sure how you stop the loaded shopping carts and the sidewalk SUVs from running away.

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:28 AM

They have one of these in Ottawa.
It's simple. The wheels of the shopping cart are slightly modified to fit snugly into the conveyor floor. The floor consists of grooves that essentially look like corduroy. Each wheel of the cart is actually two skinnier wheels next to each other; and when rolled on the floor they sink slightly into the grooves of the floor, causing the cart to "stick". The conveyor I've been to was very long and not steep, but still I would imagine wheelchairs and scooters would have to take an elevator.

#15 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

The plans shown when they had the public hearing had a movilator (inclined moving sidewalk) between the food floor and the underground parking. I'm not sure how you stop the loaded shopping carts and the sidewalk SUVs from running away.

Amazing.. honestly where else could I have a found a solid answer for my light little musing?!

Thank you both to Funkymunky and gumgum!

#16 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

i would rather the rcs replace walmart instead. i'm going to miss mayfair lanes. :(

#17 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

According to an article in today's paper, Loblaw stalls on Mayfair store[/url:96193], although supposedly plans are still firm to open the store...

Loblaw stalls on Mayfair store
Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, July 28, 2007

No date has is set to open a planned Real Canadian Superstore on the bare lot once home to the Mayfair bowling lanes.

"We are committed to the project and we do own the land," said Tara Dudar, assistant manager of public affairs for Westfair, a division of Toronto-based Loblaw which owns the Superstore brand.

"At this stage of the game, nothing has been determined for project timing," she said from Calgary.

[...]

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007
[URL="http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=5ad1df6d-da01-4cb2-a4be-82c812346cef"]http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... c812346cef

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

To bad about the propoerties along Douglas there. If you could get rid of Timmy Hs, Swiss chalet and the gas station That would a great spot to begin densifcation of the area. I mean there are already those Town houses going up across the street and so perhaps a 2 building proposal one office on residential would work here.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

Speaking of that stretch of Douglas, that Short St. condo should be completed by now.

Where's our Burnside correspondent?!

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

I was by there last week and it looked like they were about half way through building the top floor of the Oak Street Condos.

Interesting study of the effects and key findings of the Short Street project. Note: MS B!! Towards end some info on clash between new residential use and old retial use (in this case McDonald's) goes back to another discussion in Arts and Culture thread. Interesting.

http://sustainablecommunities.fcm.ca/files/Webinars/2007/Short_street_dev_project_may16-07-en.pdf

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users