PROPOSED
760 Tolmie Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 760 Tolmie Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
760 Tolmie Avenue is a proposal for 700-block of Tolmie Avenue at Oak Street through to Roderick Street to bui... (view full profile)
Learn more about 760 Tolmie Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich Core - Saanich] 760 Tolmie Avenue (Mayfair Lanes property) | Residential; retail | Up to 24-storeys

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#81 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

^Thanks. Those are mine. I went there hoping to get one last glimpse of the lanes in operation before it closed but to my surprise they were already demolishing it. I asked the manager if I could come in and take a few photos. I asked for and received a souvenir bowling pin although it's the modern plastic version, not the old wooden kind.

As I mentioned in the comments the manager said it was still a viable business.

I'm not a big fan of box stores and there are many sites along Douglas St. that would be suitable for this type of development so the permanent and unnecessary loss of Mayfair Lanes is really sad.

Maybe more of a fuss should have been raised at the time. A few dozen opponents scuttled the Cridge Park redevelopment, even though there are two other lawn bowling greens in Victoria. Mayfair was one of a kind on the south Island.
  • HarrisonGreene likes this

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

So what about the property tax hit here. I have to assume that vacant land is taxed at a lower rate than what the owners of Mayfair Lanes would have paid.

Is there typically any sort of arrangement put in place with developers to ensure that they continue to pay the existing taxes while the property is under development or do we just lose out on projects like this and the Radius?

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

^ Good Point. Many places get taxed at a lower rate because their use is low value (or no value) such as car lots, parking and vacant lots. If anything these places should be taxed higher than the allowed density to push them to develop.

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:35 PM

So would the planned building next to Lunds Auction house be considered Googie Revival?

#85 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

^ Good Point. Many places get taxed at a lower rate because their use is low value (or no value) such as car lots, parking and vacant lots. If anything these places should be taxed higher than the allowed density to push them to develop.

Most car lots have options to immediately change to different zoning at their leisure, but they are taxed at a much higher rate. I know several people with large car lots downtown and they would like to develop their property when the time is right and they have found a suitable place to relocate the business.

#86 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

So any update to what's happening to the empty lot/skateboard hangout?

#87 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

Anyone have any update?

#88 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Anyone have any update?

The last time I spoke with anyone regarding this, for lack of better words, travesty was that the project was on hold in definitely, and bordering on cancellation. I will say that was quite some time ago now, so the climate may have changed.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

Yeah for the deader. This is never going to happen. We should I guess bump this to cancelled.

#90 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

This coming up to three years since they demolished Mayfair Lanes for this. :mad:
What can Saanich council do with the land owner here?

#91 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Not much I don't think. i would bet that they would have to go back to council if they wanted to proceed anyways as most likely the permit has expired.

#92 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

What can Saanich council do with the land owner here?

Absolutely nothing

#93 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

could put a parking lot there and charge 50 bucks a month and people could bus into downtown from there. Hmmm maybe 40 a month. Still sure you could fit a couple hundred spots so 8000 grand a month is better than nothing right now.

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

^But that would require a rezoning.

The only thing Saanich has the power to do is to get the owner to clean up the site and secure it, meaning the only vibrant, worthwhile activity on site--skateboarding--will disappear.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#95 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

^But that would require a rezoning.

The only thing Saanich has the power to do is to get the owner to clean up the site and secure it, meaning the only vibrant, worthwhile activity on site--skateboarding--will disappear.

In that case...maybe some things are better left alone.

#96 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

You are invited to a Neighbourhood Meeting
Project Details:
In 2006, Loblaw Properties Ltd. received approval to build a Real Canadian Superstore adjacent to Mayfair Shopping Mall.
Loblaw has submitted a revised proposal to build a smaller sotre along with two commercial retail units. The project site is located immediately north of the Mayfair Shopping Centre at Tolmie and Oak Street.

Please join us at our Neighbourhood Meeting to discuss the changes to our original store plans.

Date: Wednesday, May 26th, 2010
Time: 4:30 - 7:30pm (drop-in)
Place: SJ Willis Alternative School,
923 Topaz Avenue, Victoria

Beverages and light snacks will be provided

For further information, plase contact:

Julia Reimer, Brook + Associates
t: 604.731.9053 x 101
e: jreimer@brookdev.com

(the above is word-for-word from a glossy (non-recycled paper) 'flyer' in my mail today).

#97 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

This just in:

Loblaw's has submitted a revised proposal for the site. They now want to proceed with a smaller version of their previously proposed plan with the addition of two seperate retail stores in one building that will take up pretty much the entire foot print of the site. None or minimal surface parking is shown. (hard to tell on the small site plan)

I just got the flyer in the mail today. Anyways this is great news and hope all goes well in the process to get this thing built.

There is a rendering which makes it look as though it will be multiple shopping levels on top of U/G parking. No time to post the pick right now.

Community meeting on May 26, 2010 4:30 - 7:30 at SJ Willis. Drop-in style.

#98 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

^ Already posted up the info word for word from the brochure see it here:

You are invited to a Neighbourhood Meeting
Project Details:
In 2006, Loblaw Properties Ltd. received approval to build a Real Canadian Superstore adjacent to Mayfair Shopping Mall.
Loblaw has submitted a revised proposal to build a smaller sotre along with two commercial retail units. The project site is located immediately north of the Mayfair Shopping Centre at Tolmie and Oak Street.

Please join us at our Neighbourhood Meeting to discuss the changes to our original store plans.

Date: Wednesday, May 26th, 2010
Time: 4:30 - 7:30pm (drop-in)
Place: SJ Willis Alternative School,
923 Topaz Avenue, Victoria

Beverages and light snacks will be provided

For further information, plase contact:

Julia Reimer, Brook + Associates
t: 604.731.9053 x 101
e: jreimer@brookdev.com

(the above is word-for-word from a glossy (non-recycled paper) 'flyer' in my mail today).

#99 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Doh! Beat me by three minutes!

#100 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:26 PM

could someone scan and post the site plan?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users