PROPOSED
760 Tolmie Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 760 Tolmie Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 24
760 Tolmie Avenue is a proposal for 700-block of Tolmie Avenue at Oak Street through to Roderick Street to bui... (view full profile)
Learn more about 760 Tolmie Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich Core - Saanich] 760 Tolmie Avenue (Mayfair Lanes property) | Residential; retail | Up to 24-storeys

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#41 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Doesn't anyone have any inside info on this one?

#42 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yup, that's what I've always seen.

The one at Superstore is just as good and both are as time-efficient as pay-at-the-pump.
Humans are way more efficient.

#43 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

Last I heard Superstore was not doing so well financially and has put all expansion plans on hold. I would expect this lot to vacant for quite sometime.

I heard that too, and also there's some underground river putting a wrench into things?
I think Wal-Mart has both Superstore and Save-On peeing their pants.

Why the heck does Victoria wind up with the largest Wal-Mart?:confused:

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

The Wal-Mart at "Square One" in Mississauga, ON will still be slightly larger than the expanded Wal-Mart at Town & Country. I think.

#45 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:22 AM

The Wal-Mart at "Square One" in Mississauga, ON will still be slightly larger than the expanded Wal-Mart at Town & Country. I think.

This what I would have expected. Ontario, Quebec, or even Vancouver?
I'm wondering population wise how we compare.

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:36 AM

Wal-Mart is supersizing stores all over the place now, so we should probably get used to monsters like the one in the works for the new T&C.

Nation's Largest Wal-Mart (Albany, NY)
260,000 square feet
http://www.wstm.com/....aspx?id=110166

The one in Mississauga is 220,000 square feet. The new one in Cowichan is 170,000 square feet and the expanded one at Town & Country will apparently be 200,000 square feet. Wal-Mart will have a tremendous per-capita presence on southern Vancouver Island when all is said and done. Let's hope they don't plan to expand the Langford store anytime soon.

http://www.canada.co...83-3a0edbb5ae50

#47 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

Superstore in Langford beats W-M hands down, IMO.
Better stuff, the store doesn't have that cheezy look/feel and at least some of the profit stays in Canada.
Loblaw's is having financial troubles which I hope they can resolve because I'm getting tired of drivng to Langford.

#48 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

Have any of you WM haters been in a super duper WM before? I have and they rule. Superstore is a giant barren store with staff located in exactly two places : the checkout and the deli.

Walmart on the other hand is stacked with helpful, friendly staff. On top of that their prices are awesome. The super WM is a grocery store and giant discount department store rolled into one. In the US you can buy liquor there too. It will nearly be a one stop shop kind of place.

As for being Canadian or not it doesn't matter at all. You can own shares of US companies just as easily as you can a Canadian one and US companies usually fare better and pay higher dividends anyway.

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

^Can you buy a 2 bedroom condo unit for 150K at one of these super Walmarts too?

#50 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, I've spent a fair amount of time in the southern USA and some time in Iowa. There, the one stop shopping is literally true - because in both of the towns where I was staying Walmart was in fact the ONLY store. So if Walmart didn't stock a brand you liked, forget it. It's not available. Special orders? Forget it. Variety? Forget it. Local goods? Forget it.

The prices are cheap, and you don't have to leave the store. But boy was I happy to get home to where I could satisfy my yuppy-wanna-be sense of consumer identity differentiation. A stroll down to Chinatown for some fresh veggies, a new scarf over at the Vietnamese store in Market Square and a wander up Johnson Street through dozens of little stores to look for a new dress, then over to Market on Yates for some fresh fish, if I am too lazy for a trip down to fisherman's wharf, then up to the Blair-mart for the best olives anywhere, followed by a stop by the Polish Deli on Cook for some amazing cabbage rolls. And at every stop - a conversation. The fun is in the adventure, the discovery, and that delicious feeling of knowing where my favourite of everything is. THAT'S the joy of urban living.

#51 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, I've spent a fair amount of time in the southern USA and some time in Iowa. There, the one stop shopping is literally true - because in both of the towns where I was staying Walmart was in fact the ONLY store. So if Walmart didn't stock a brand you liked, forget it. It's not available. Special orders? Forget it. Variety? Forget it. Local goods? Forget it.

The prices are cheap, and you don't have to leave the store. But boy was I happy to get home to where I could satisfy my yuppy-wanna-be sense of consumer identity differentiation. A stroll down to Chinatown for some fresh veggies, a new scarf over at the Vietnamese store in Market Square and a wander up Johnson Street through dozens of little stores to look for a new dress, then over to Market on Yates for some fresh fish, if I am too lazy for a trip down to fisherman's wharf, then up to the Blair-mart for the best olives anywhere, followed by a stop by the Polish Deli on Cook for some amazing cabbage rolls. And at every stop - a conversation. The fun is in the adventure, the discovery, and that delicious feeling of knowing where my favourite of everything is. THAT'S the joy of urban living.

Sounds great if you're the typical self centered yuppi/hippy who's too lazy to have kids. Meanwhile in the real world where both parents work like myself you've got maybe 1/2 an hour to get the shopping done and not much loot to do it with.

#52 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

Have any of you WM haters been in a super duper WM before? I have and they rule. Superstore is a giant barren store with staff located in exactly two places : the checkout and the deli.

Walmart on the other hand is stacked with helpful, friendly staff. On top of that their prices are awesome. The super WM is a grocery store and giant discount department store rolled into one. In the US you can buy liquor there too. It will nearly be a one stop shop kind of place.

As for being Canadian or not it doesn't matter at all. You can own shares of US companies just as easily as you can a Canadian one and US companies usually fare better and pay higher dividends anyway.

Um...I see..I don't know what Walmart you're going to (let me know please) but the two in this town blow for service, I have wandered the entire length of both stores looking for staff to see if they have something in stock...at 6 pm in the evening and wasn't able to find one person other than at tills (and try going to the jewelry dept to get a cheap watch, yeesh you might be waiting until the cows come home and then some...

#53 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

^^Wow, that was incredibly insulting.

Who's the lazy one anyway? The one who walks a whole city for variety and a good deal, or the one that drives to the supersmegamart and fills a cart full of ****?

#54 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

Wow, that was kind of rude. If I was going to make a bunch of assumptions about what a "typical" big box store shopper was like, we could turn this discussion into something really ugly. And hopefully I'd be as wrong about you as you are about me.

People have been raising children long before there were big box stores.

#55 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

Sounds great if you're the typical self centered yuppi/hippy who's too lazy to have kids. Meanwhile in the real world where both parents work like myself you've got maybe 1/2 an hour to get the shopping done and not much loot to do it with.

um...wow don't you think thats a little harsh? I grew up doing EXACTLY what Caramia just described with my parents strolling Johnson St, Chinatown for veggies, and I got to know many shopkeepers around town that I still know too this very day...and continue to have relationships with...As for my parents...both were working parents, both worked long hours (Legal and Health Care)...and are not in the least self-centered...What it comes down to my friend, is priorities...yuppy/hippie's who chose not to have kids are not too lazy they are exercising a personal choice ( I don't think there is a law in Canada that requires you to have kids...is there?) they dont' want to have kids pure and simple...I honestly think that the people that chose ONLY to shop at the mega stores are the lazy ones...I shop at both mega stores and the "boutique" shops...

How you choose to shop is not about being a yuppie or not or lazy or not...its about personal choice and priorities lets not forget that...

#56 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

^^Beat you to it. (Not that I don't shop in them once in a while, I just wouldn't stick to just the big box stores and have the nerve to call others lazy.)

#57 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

I for one will not step foot in Wallyworld. I have an abhorrence for gluttonous consumerism. Besides, Wal-Mart is a union buster as well.
I try as I can to support local business.
I do shop much as Caramia described. I'm not lazy and I do have children. Jesus.

#58 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:51 AM

Look, bud. I'm *this* close to simply dismissing you as a troll. Could you be more insulting if you tried? You seem to be going out of your way to hit people's hot buttons.

I have two kids, we're both employed full-time, and we work hard to meet the mortgage. And we grow vegetables and shop locally whenever possible. I work downtown and make lunchtime forays into the local shops for bits and pieces our household needs. The Moss Street Market is as much a part of our Saturday morning family routine as going to soccer. I've seen what the suburban, big-box, drive-everywhere, processed-food-crap lifestyle does to people and communities, and I won't have any part in it.

We sold the big suburban house and moved into a modest house in Rockland. We parked the 13-year-old van to be used for hauling kids and cargo, and bike or bus everywhere. We have less mortgage. We spend next to nothing on gas. We are healthier and spend less time in our cars. That house in Fernwood that you love to hate is a cutie, and a good place in town. Keeping your expectations reasonable is the first step to a saner lifestyle. 3000 shiny sf is not a NEED. It's a want.

#59 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

I don't think he's a troll, I just think he's a real estate blogger who saw that some of our forum members were laughing at some of the more outrageous comments from real estate blogs, and came here with fists swinging wildly, determined to take a shot at anyone who moved. I have a special talent for stumbling into the path of such folk, which is funny because I'm probably the only mod on this forum who is building my own little bunker in preparation for the coming apocalypse. I'm a natural ally for the Bloggers of Impending Doom.

Regarding the rudeness, I was never able to have children of my own, so his comment definitely hit me where it hurt. And sadly it wasn't a choice I made willingly. So... Ouch! However, I've been lucky enough to have shared my home and life with some wonderful kids over the years, and at least I can say each of them were raised to be polite and to be kind. Walking with me through markets and talking with shopkeepers might have even been part of that education! But maybe in the "real world" parents just don't have time for manners. After all, it isn't like kids learn through imitation...
:P

#60 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

No one is looking down on anyone or name calling except you.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users