Photo

I ❤ Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:44 PM

Does anyone know anything about the purpose / operation of the I ❤ Downtown Victoria Facebook page? I ask as it used to be a pretty decent source of local info with ads as posts as well. I don't actually mind these local business ads much because it helps me know what's going on.

The last few months, though, the page seems to have gone downhill quickly. First posting erroneous news and then going advertising crazy. Then this last week they've been posting pictures of Burger King and McDonalds locations of which a majority are clearly not here!

I am hoping this page hasn't just turned into a troll page dumping useless content??

• weirdie and Matt R. like this

#2 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

/grabs popcorn
  • rjag, Matt R., Hotel Mike and 1 other like this

#3 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

Yes, this should be fun.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:52 PM

Does anyone know anything about the purpose / operation of the I ❤ Downtown Victoria Facebook page? I ask as it used to be a pretty decent source of local info with ads as posts as well. I don't actually mind these local business ads much because it helps me know what's going on.

The last few months, though, the page seems to have gone downhill quickly. First posting erroneous news and then going advertising crazy. Then this last week they've been posting pictures of Burger King and McDonalds locations of which a majority are clearly not here!

I am hoping this page hasn't just turned into a troll page dumping useless content??

I give this a 3/10. Started off solid enough, but inserting the troll reference when writing a trolling post is just a little on the nose. 

#5 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

I know VHF is involved or runs the group. I've unfollowed/unliked it myself recently, just too many ads. Shrug. Vote with your feet.

#6 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:25 PM

To be fair to a member with 69 posts, I only found out about 2 weeks ago that VHF runs this page, around the time of the VicPD homeless wake up policy change controversy.

I heard he gets $10K a month from some downtown association for running it but I can't confirm that.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

I know VHF is involved or runs the group. I've unfollowed/unliked it myself recently, just too many ads. Shrug. Vote with your feet.

I don't follow Facebook myself but I do know that  I ❤ Downtown Victoria has one of the top Facebook page ratings in Victoria.

Just like any forum including this one, there needs to be a reason to keep following, so from time to time you give it a rest.

If the cook at your favourite restaurant leaves his sock in the soup one day, that's no reason to give up, unless you get the matching sock the next time.

#8 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:41 AM

If the cook at your favourite restaurant leaves his sock in the soup one day, that's no reason to give up, unless you get the matching sock the next time.

True, but if you discovered that the cook would prefer it if black customers sat in the alley out back, you'd probably stop going, no matter how good the food was.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

To be fair to a member with 69 posts, I only found out about 2 weeks ago that VHF runs this page, around the time of the VicPD homeless wake up policy change controversy.

I heard he gets $10K a month from some downtown association for running it but I can't confirm that.

VHF does run the page, but no, there is no $10k per month from any downtown group and there never was. VV is not affiliated financially with the page, but we certainly cooperate with one another to break news and share leads, etc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

Well this turned out to be a dud, I can't believe VHF not rising to the bait, after all he does 99.8% of the time.

• rjag, Matt R., Sparky and 3 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:10 PM

VHF does run the page, but no, there is no $10k per month from any downtown group and there never was. VV is not affiliated financially with the page, but we certainly cooperate with one another to break news and share leads, etc.

Thanks for clearing this up.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

No problem.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

It's been pretty atrociously bad for quite a while IMO, used to have some good stuff.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

It's been pretty atrociously bad for quite a while IMO, used to have some good stuff.

What was the good stuff you used to like, and what don't you like now?

#15 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

I gave up on it a long time ago when it became clear it was not a community of people who loved downtown but simply a shill for downtown businesses who paid fees to be promoted.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

Businesses need to promote themselves. What's wrong with that?

Know it all.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

Downtown would be great if not for the businesses.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

Everything would be great if not for the businesses.

Know it all.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Well this turned out to be a dud, I can't believe VHF not rising to the bait, after all he does 99.8% of the time.

He doesn't have time to look at this thread as he's too busy promoting Victoria which is more that 89.4 % (soon to be 99.9%) of the rest of us are doing, in fact your business is doomed if you haven't posted on VHF's site.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

98% of that is pure BS.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users