UNDER CONSTRUCTION
University Heights, building A
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 3956 Shelbourne Street
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
University Heights, building A is proposal for a six-storey mixed-use rental and retail complex at Cedar Hill ... (view full profile)
Learn more about University Heights, building A on Citified.ca
Photo

University Heights Shopping Centre

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#201 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Interesting timing - somehow apropos given Victoria is a decade behind anywhere else on virtually any topic any way, so why should mall re-development be any different? - given a CBC story this week outlining the exact opposite trend in the lower mainland, focusing on Aldergrove, but noting also various other 1950-70's-era lower mainland malls all dating from the auto-centric era, primed and either now fully re-developed or in process of being re-developed:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...pment-1.5100873

Edited by AllseeingEye, 18 April 2019 - 03:32 PM.

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:32 PM

I think we’re doing relatively well on the mall and shopping centre front.

Uptown completely redeveloped.
Hillside expanded.
Mayfair expanded.
Belmont Market nearing completion of its first phase.
A new shopping centre at Sandown.

Not bad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

I think AsE is making a reference to the trend of redeveloping older shopping centres with a residential component. So far this hasn't happened anywhere in the CRD. Even Uptown hasn't managed to get any residences built.

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#204 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

^ Ehhhhhh don't give Victoria such a hard time. The mall redevelopment in Metro Vancouver can be directly linked to Skytrain. As the article says, Aldergrove is the exception, but that's an empty mall and Skytrain is on the horizon.

Brentwood is probably the poster child of mall redevelopment, and that only got started 2014, 12 years after the Skytrain station opened.

#205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:44 PM

^ Ehhhhhh don't give Victoria such a hard time...

I am long past the point of cutting Dysfunction-on-the-Sea (aka the CRD) any slack.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#206 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:06 PM

I think AsE is making a reference to the trend of redeveloping older shopping centres with a residential component. So far this hasn't happened anywhere in the CRD. Even Uptown hasn't managed to get any residences built.

Yes exactly this, thanks NP.

Malls here are still way too auto-centric and devote too much space to 'asphalt'. Both Hillside and Mayfair were recently developed and could have and should have IMO incorporated some component of "residential". Or at the very least in all their public marketing material given some indication their thinking on the topic has moved beyond 1958.

Mayfair especially was a huge disappointment IMO: $80 million for...what...exactly? Take out the public furniture put down some hardwood lanes and essentially you have a great long bowling alley....

I love reading the anti-Uptown comments of FB from 'old time' Victorians who pine for the old Woolco Center. Are you kidding me? That POS was a crap mall even 35-40 years ago: basically a stand alone video store with a more centrally located strip-box surrounded by literally acres of concrete. The only thing that anyone should truly miss as a result of the demise of that sad old complex was....the bowling alley.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

Tuscany Village, Belmont Market and Mattick’s Farm come to mind as shopping centres with residential, although none redeveloped older shopping centres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

Yes exactly this, thanks NP.

Malls here are still way too auto-centric and devote too much space to 'asphalt'. Both Hillside and Mayfair were recently developed and could have and should have IMO incorporated some component of "residential". Or at the very least in all their public marketing material given some indication their thinking on the topic has moved beyond 1958.

Mayfair especially was a huge disappointment IMO: $80 million for...what...exactly? Take out the public furniture put down some hardwood lanes and essentially you have a great long bowling alley....

I love reading the anti-Uptown comments of FB from 'old time' Victorians who pine for the old Woolco Center. Are you kidding me? That POS was a crap mall even 35-40 years ago: basically a stand alone video store with a more centrally located strip-box surrounded by literally acres of concrete. The only thing that anyone should truly miss as a result of the demise of that sad old complex was....the bowling alley.

agree. but there is something about nostalgia i think.  old stuff from youth always seems like it was cooler than it probably was by today's standards.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 April 2019 - 06:42 AM.

#209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

Whoda thunk it? Apparently you can't tax your way to affordable housing.

University Heights redevelopment on hold as owner crunches costs

...Facing increased development cost charges imposed by Saanich, a rich community amenity package and the desire to have some affordable housing options on site, Vancouver-based Wesbild is tweaking its project and crunching numbers to see if there’s a way to make the mixed-use development financially viable...When you keep layering on costs, when do you say ‘uncle?’ ” asked Steve Forrest, Wesbild’s senior vice-president of real estate...

https://www.timescol...osts-1.23804291

#210 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 11:26 AM

^its not just government charges, construction costs continue to rise while prices are flat or falling.  retail as well has not been doing well

#211 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 05:36 AM

The step code is making things very difficult.

Know it all.

#212 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

https://www.saanichn...pz4-0qvI9wtEUTo

Jen Derbyshire, Wesbild’s director of marketing and community relations, said Tuesday that the company plans to submit its revised proposal in the fall followed by what she called “extensive” community consultations.

The broad strokes of the project remain, mixing commercial usage with rental residential, said Derbyshire. “But it will be different.”

To emphasize this point, Wesbild has scrubbed its project website of previous renderings in suggesting that its new proposal will perhaps be less ambitious. The site instead features more generic imaginary. Previous renderings showed an elegant, even upscale, complex, that would dominate the area if completed.

The "generic imagery" they're referring to means stock photos of people shopping and drinking coffee, not anything architectural. Either way, I'm pessimistic we'll ever see some of the interesting architecture and finishes seen in the initial renderings.

http://universityheightsvictoria.com/

• Nparker likes this

#213 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

If you see Saanich News reporter Wolf Depner, who posted that article at 5:10 this morning, buy him a coffee.

#214 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

https://www.saanichn...unity-concerns/

Did Saanich News get the drop on citified with this scoop?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

UH2.jpg

UH1.jpg

• DavidSchell likes this

#216 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

frankly i'd dump the university heights name.

and call it the something or other power centre. everyone loves a power centre.

#217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

frankly i'd dump the university heights name and call it the something or other power centre. everyone loves a power centre.

Power centre is an odd moniker to give to something that will be mostly residential.

• shoeflack likes this

#218 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:26 PM

University Heights is a great name for a neighbourhood. And with residential, now this would actually be a neighbourhood. The name is actually a great fit post-development.

• Nparker likes this

#219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

Power centre is an odd moniker to give to something that will be mostly residential.

rocky's not going to show up if you just say "come over for champagne at the condo above the shopping centre" to celebrate the bounty from his single-destination waste/recycling stream.

#220 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm ok with it; its analogous to the U-district in Seattle and for the same reason, i.e. the primary campus of the region's main university is close nearby. In a sense given the increased population and level of construction in the region University Heights as a neighborhood may make more sense now than 50 years ago when they built the mall.

Either way I grew up right around the corner on Cedar Hill Rd - had this development been pitched back then (1964-72) it could've easily wound up being known as The Barn Yard District, the Cow Pattie District, the Partially Paved but Mostly Gravel Street District , the No Longer Greenhouse District, or even the Lots of Hot Sex Happening because there are Children literally Everywhere district....

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users