Remembrance Day in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#201 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

i might not challenge the tim horton's cup petition.  but the other ones were just grabbed by environmentalists worldwide and they ran the numbers up.

the reason i'm confident that cherry has mostly canadian signatures is because americans really are not familiar with him.

#202 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

So Don Cherry should run for office.

At a minimum he'd do better than Kevin O'Leary
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#203 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:48 PM

[Deleted]

Edited by Benezet, 13 November 2019 - 08:34 PM.

#204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

“It all happened so fast. I wish we could have had another day,” he said.

And now he is faced with trying to figure out what comes next?

He spent Wednesday at CBC headquarters meeting with Sportsnet brass and producers to work on just that.

“I am doing some thinking,” MacLean said Wednesday. “I am taking these days to sort and order what I will say Saturday.”

https://torontosun.c...ders-his-future

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#205 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

After letting some of the Don Cherry dust settle my thoughts for what they're worth - bearing in mind I don't know the man of course. I suspect at heart he's a good guy for whom personal loyalty among other things is an important trait. He's also older at 85 and I guarantee even the most outraged person, especially those younger than the Don Cherry's of the world, that as you age so too will your beliefs become more entrenched and, insofar as younger people are concerned, they will fall out of fashion. It has ever been thus and that won't change anytime soon. 

Cherry is an unabashed and unapologetic Canada-First kind of guy and I'm more than OK with that.

Could he and should he have worded his comments differently on Coach's Corner? Obviously. And he's already stated that many times. He's become something of a cultural phenomenon and in the process become very wealthy so I don't feel sorry for him in that regard. He'll do fine whether he's on the air again or not. However....

....what did occur to me in light of this affair was the following; sooooo....Sportsnet wants to do - and, more importantly from a customer and public perspective - be SEEN to be doing, the "right thing", ethically and morally. So it immediately fires an employee who publicly makes a comment  or comments that certainly in today's world is not and are not acceptable. Okay...but...ethically and morally, how does that action square with the fact that front and center on the HNIC set sits a Huawei corporate logo...? Bear in mind too this is a network that is bleeding cash, largely as a result of a horrendous 12-year deal it signed for FIVE BILLION++ dollars to broadcast NHL games in Canada, a deal for which they are on the hook for several more years.....

You'll recall Huawei of course, an entity that may (or not) represent a significant security threat to this nation; either way it is certainly an organization in fact beholden by Chinese law, to the monolithic Chinese Communist state. You remember that  gang of course. Its the same very totalitarian state currently holding two Canadian citizens under dubious at best circumstances, on what are almost assuredly trumped up and wholly manufactured charges in retaliation for Canada upholding its end of a signed extradition treaty, something it had no choice but to do. In addition this same Chinese state is holding a third Canadian who is currently under threat of execution.

Now back to Sportsnet - so Cherry and his bad words also = Bad. Therefore (cash poor) Sportsnet 'does the right thing' and cans him. Fine.

But how is accepting millions and millions of $$$$$ in Huawei corporate sponsorship fees from a leading firm from a hostile state "doing the right thing" exactly? Sorry but on that subject I'm having a problem following the logic and forgive me for being a tad confused because - on the surface and were I a suspicious man - it kind of looks to me like, well...."doing the right thing" and being respectful of all cultures etc., is actually little more than a matter of interpretation and which only holds up until.......you know..........the threat of losing a s***-ton of  badly-needed cash rears its head, in which case nary a word is heard from SN. Cherry - Bad. Huawei....Good? Hm.

• RFS and Daveyboy like this

#206 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

The Huawei angle makes it extra sticky, true. I don't trust that company one iota.

Could he and should he have worded his comments differently on Coach's Corner? Obviously. And he's already stated that many times. 

Look, he never apologized for what he said, only how he said it. He had ample opportunity to fix it but instead doubled down by going on Carlson and agreeing that people that were offended were "fascists". 

#207 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:20 PM

The Huawei angle makes it extra sticky, true. I don't trust that company one iota.

Look, he never apologized for what he said, only how he said it. He had ample opportunity to fix it but instead doubled down by going on Carlson and agreeing that people that were offended were "fascists". 

Oh I know but my point was really the last paragraph. DC has paid for his sin(s). I'm far more interested personally in the Huawei angle. Of course there has been no hue or public outcry not even a meek mention of it so I suspect SN will continue to get a slimy pass. In true Canadian fashion we'll happily eat our own (even if in this case our own probably deserved it) but bend over backwards and be sweet and nice as pie to others....

Attached Images

• huawei.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 13 November 2019 - 09:21 PM.

#208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

the Huawei thing I guess is no more hypocritical than all of us that buy Chinese products. like our bridge.

#209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

A man who shares the same name as the suspect arrested for spray painting the Old City Hall Cenotaph wrote a lengthy Facebook manifesto citing the emergence of ‘cancel culture’ and the firing of Don Cherry as the motives behind the vandalism.

On Friday, Toronto police announced that Thomas Christian Zaugg, 33, of Toronto, was arrested and is now facing two mischief-related charges.

Police allege Zaugg spray-painted the words “Ye Broke Faith” and “With Us” on the cenotaph a day after Remembrance Day.

The Facebook manifesto also defends the use of vandalism to get his point across.

“They (soldiers) did not die for us to become this type of mentally straight jacketed society, unable to speak freely or share ones view. You people, the perpetually offended hyper-sensitive adult children, are ruining our society. And that’s why I spray painted the Cenotaph.”

https://toronto.city...taph-vandalism/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 November 2019 - 08:26 AM.

#210 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Nice for the him to assume he knows what the soldiers died for.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:53 PM

They may have knocked Don Cherry to the ice with a hit he didn’t see coming.

Now watch him get back up.

You people out there who want the 85-year-old Cherry back, here’s the news you have been hoping for.  You people who wanted him to fade away are out of luck as the former NHL coach of the year is going to be able to exercise his free speech, after all.

Don Cherry’s Grapevine is back once again. This time as a podcast.

https://torontosun.c...with-a-new-show

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#212 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:35 PM

Can't anyone have a podcast?  This isn't some righteous vindication.

#213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

Can't anyone have a podcast?  This isn't some righteous vindication.

it's kind of neat though how one week he has a multi-million dollar contract and reaches over a million canadians every week.  and then a week after he is fired he has a platform to reach billions around the world. 

roseanne barr really should do a podcast.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#214 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

it's kind of neat though how one week he has a multi-million dollar contract and reaches over a million canadians every week.  and then a week after he is fired he has a platform to reach billions around the world. 

roseanne barr really should do a podcast.

To be fair, his reach to over a million Canadians every week was a push - they were already there for the game.  The podcast has a potential of billions - what's the realized number going to be?

Not saying he shouldn't do it, but the idea that he actually has a much bigger audience is not a given by any means.

Yes, Rosanne Barr should do a podcast.  Billions might listen.  Or maybe none.

#215 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:02 PM

if what cherry said was so abhorrent why did the network replay the piece - twice that night - for the western timeslots?
  • lanforod likes this

#216 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

Forget sex, it's outrage that sells.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:20 AM

look what outrage has done for jordan peterson.  it's made him a very very wealthy man.

#218 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

Edited by admin

#219 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

I see it as scam. But Baywatch was the most popular show in the world.

#220 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

Whole Foods supermarket bans poppies on employees uniforms

..He said he’s heard about concerns from grocery stores regarding poppies as the pin can be sharp if the poppy falls off clothes. But there is a solution.  The pin in the centre of the Legion’s standard poppies can be removed and replaced with a lapel pin, so there is no sharp pin.

But so far, there have been no requests for the pins from any grocery store...

..Island Health has also is not aware of any food safety policy preventing staff from wearing them while on shift at grocery stores....

https://www.cheknews...niforms-716307/

...Oak Bay man is issuing a warning.. ...After mixing everything together and taking a bite, Kim felt something hard.

“At first I asked her if it was her tooth, but she said no, that it was a sewing needle,”...

https://www.vicnews....needle-in-food/

Edited by todd, 05 November 2020 - 07:24 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users