Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

The left gets triggered by the truth
  • rjag likes this

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

New repairs to the iconic Oak Bay Memorial Cenotaph were recently completed but most won’t notice.

The work, which includes refurbishing the path and steps up to the cenotaph and also the stair railing, is the latest phase of work that was laid out in the 2016 strategic plan headed by Coun. Tara Ney and a small task force.

“The work was all done as sympathetic to the original site and heritage value of the site as possible,” Ney said. “And wow, you wouldn’t know, they did such a great job.”

https://www.oakbayne...orial-cenotaph/

19259312_web1_Saull-1024x683.jpg

• todd likes this

#63 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:12 AM

His racism is glaringly obvious. That he can walk down the street and know which ones are the immigrants. Because they must have some sort of look about them. Brown skinned people don't need it explained to them. My immigrant ancestors were white so this accusation has never been leveled at me.

Recent immigrants are some of the most patriotic people I know. They appreciate how lucky they are to be here. Some of them come from countries where their own military is not to be trusted so it may take them time to trust what we take for granted.

Anyway, like I said--you walk down our streets--is that dark skinned person an immigrant? Or maybe just a locally-born member of the Sangha, Joe or Doman families, people that came to Canada a century ago and helped build this country?

Cherry can go to hell.

Father served in the US military during the Korean War dodged the draft by joining the navy a draft letter for the army showed up while he was in boot camp but was allowed to stay in the navy. As this was a UN battle under the agreement when he immigrated to canada he was able to access many of the same services “canadian” veterans do. So officially although an immigrant and never served in the Canadian military he was a Canadian veteran.

I can never remember him wearing a poppy. Also he said when he got out he washed the car with his uniform.

#64 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

TORONTO – Sportsnet has responded to Don Cherry’s recent comments towards immigrants by reminding fans that it has a zero-consequence policy for anything racist the host says.

“We strongly empathize with any community Don has attacked in the past, present, and future,” said a Sportsnet spokesperson for Hockey Night in Canada. “But holding Don accountable for the hateful comments he makes does not represent our values and what we stand for as a network.”

Sportsnet has mandatory training for all employees to brush off the diverse bigotry of the long-time commentator whether he’s attacking immigrants for not purchasing poppies, emasculating French and European players for wearing visors, or belittling any other minority that might have cut him off in traffic that morning.

“Yes, we would have fired anyone else for this type of behaviour long ago. But he’s a Canadian institution, and we all know the only way to deal with institutionalised racism is to ignore it. It’s the Canadian way.”

At press time, Don Cherry offered a moment of silence for all the veteran images he’s exploited for better ratings and the glorification of his television persona.

https://www.thebeave...-racism-policy/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#65 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

absent from any of the cherry media coverage is any actual figure on poppy donations by area.

but there was a toronto reporter on the ground looking for numbers:

With photographer Veronica Henri I did my own survey.

The results are ugly.

I’d put it at about 10% wearing poppies downtown Friday, and that may be generous. 

At four locations I counted to 100 to see how many in each group had poppies.

The highest I saw was twelve, and the lowest was three.

The other two were eight and ten.

So about one in every 10 Torontonians — around the Cenotaph at Old City Hall, inside the Eaton Centre, in Dundas Square and just outside the Ryerson University Campus — were donning a poppy, even though veterans are selling them within in a few steps.

https://torontosun.c...wearing-poppies

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/s...marks-1.5354927

and of course CBC disables comments. since they know many would agree with Cherry.

#67 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

national post comments are running 80% with cherry.

https://nationalpost...y#comments-area

#68 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

I dont give a crap about Cherry, never followed hockey and think hes an old crank. 

That being said I am surprised at the uproar over his comments, yes they were insensitive...but openly racist?? nah. He's calling it like he sees it.

I will note that most of the folks I am seeing who are getting their panties all twisted didnt seem as concerned that our PM wore blackface, not once, not twice but at least on 3 occasions. The word hypocrite isnt a strong enough descriptor here.

Like I said, I dont give a crap about Cherry but on this one hes right...though he could have worded it differently. 

#69 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:54 PM

Recent immigrants are some of the most patriotic people I know. They appreciate how lucky they are to be here. Some of them come from countries where their own military is not to be trusted so it may take them time to trust what we take for granted.

there is a lot of this type of stuff our there.  but nobody has even suggested that poppy-wearing is at some type of high or that it's high among immigrants.  it probably is remarkably low.

i have not worn one for at least 20 years.  i'm not into it.

#70 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:57 PM

Seen on Twitter and what seems to be the main sentiment

If you think Don Cherry should be fired but Trudeau shouldn’t, you might be a Liberal.

#71 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Ron MacLean has apologized.

#72 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:42 PM

First Don Cherry called out those not wearing poppies.

Now others — including his own network and the NHL — are calling him out.

Sportsnet may have offered an apology, it doesn’t appear Cherry, 85, is going there.

“I have had my say,” he told me Sunday.

https://torontosun.c...-poppy-comments

Cherry’s fans know sometimes his ‘Grapes speak’ style crunches so many thoughts together, the context can be lost.

He doesn’t care if you are new to the country or born here, he just doesn’t want people to forget the safe and prosperous lifestyle enjoy here thanks to those who fought or died in war.

“It seems to have upset people,” Cherry said.

“Like I said, Joe, you can put in that I said my piece and I will leave it there.”

He just wants the focus put back on Remembrance Day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 November 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#73 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:32 PM

Seen on Twitter and what seems to be the main sentiment

If the courts allowed it I’d like to see don cherry fired out of a cannon for so many reasons

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

TORONTO – Sportsnet has responded to Don Cherry’s recent comments towards immigrants by reminding fans that it has a zero-consequence policy for anything racist the host says.

Zero consequence policy, hmm, sounds progressive.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

lest we forget: This thread started in 2015 I was the only post in 2016 no posts in 2018

Edited by todd, 10 November 2019 - 07:15 PM.

#76 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

Father served in the Korean War on minesweeper war ended about six months after he joined he claimed because they found out he arrived ended up spending most of the time in Japan he said he rented a house when he left his girlfriend was extremely mad always hinted there might be a another brother or sister out there. The captain would zig zag in and out of combat zone areas to allow for combat pay never found a mine he said one time they got shot at in a bay once they called it in they did an airstrike took care of things another time the person on watch claimed he saw frog man try and get up into the boat so they threw a whole bunch of grenades over never saw him again. Anyway I’m glad they didn’t kill him because I would be dead as he is now.

Anyway he said shot at more times growing up in Chicago and LA (they moved to la mother wanted to move back to chicago move back then they move back again to la)

Anyway always been terrified of a draft myself but I’m getting too old to be useful. But i’m indeed here if you need me.

Everybody knows the Korean War was the most hilarious war https://youtu.be/N4hzRHuDZ4I

Edited by todd, 10 November 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#77 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

Great, great uncle fought in World War 1 in the Canadian Army. Great grandfather fought in World War 1 for the British. Uncle got killed, grandfather made it.
  • todd likes this

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:51 AM

My grandfather was enroute to Europe in WWII to serve as a plumber as his father did in the Great War but a barrel that came loose on the ship wrecked his back and put an end to that and he returned to the Victoria Dockyard.

That being said I am surprised at the uproar over his comments, yes they were insensitive...but openly racist?? nah. He's calling it like he sees it.

If perpetuating the stereotype of the "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant" isn't racist, I'm concerned what the line would be for you.

#79 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:55 AM

If perpetuating the stereotype of the "ungrateful dark-skinned immigrant" isn't racist, I'm concerned what the line would be for you.

he never mentioned anything about skin colour.  why you so hung up on that?

#80 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:05 AM

Get serious. We all know what he means when he says he "sees immigrants". 

• http likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users