• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#21 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,732 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

Yah now the story is changing: 5 of them confirmed "neutralized" but apparently other gunmen still on the loose on Paris streets. It'll take some time for accurate reporting to emerge I think. Can only imagine the chaos at the emergency command centers in Paris tonight....

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:22 PM

There was some mention of security state "Alpha" now in effect, the highest state of security ever enacted in France.

One witness stated she had heard a gunmen yell "this is for Syria." This was reported by the CBC.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 kirk

kirk
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:47 PM

This is a scary night to click to read the comments on internet articles! Sheesh.

best so far = "Did I miss the article where they identified these individuals as Syrian refugees?"

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

CNN reporting that the passport found on a dead suicide bomber was from Syria.

#25 satellite

satellite
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

Heh, you are quite selective..  the next sentence in the report was "sources believe the passport could be fake", and "the only identified attacker is a French national" and "he spoke with a native french accent".  You left those parts out. 

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

ISIS has claimed responsibility. One of the attackers was reported as saying "this is for Syria". A Syrian passport (even if it is fake it doesn't mean fake country) was found on an attacker. Nobody is saying round up Syrian Canadians. Lets just wait before importing 25,000 unscreened, undocumented people into our country when we have already had 2 ISIS inspired attacks in Canada in the past year and ISIS has threatened more.

I would guess that if a poll was run right now 95%+ of Canadians would say hold off. This is Trudeau's first chance at leadership and he is failing badly.

Edited by spanky123, 14 November 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#27 satellite

satellite
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

So what do you want?  Lets say mother and father ran a bakery in Damascus before fleeing to Lebanon with their two children when barrel bombs started getting dropped on their neighbourhood. The UN flags them as a priority to the Government of Canada. Canada conducts a screening, an interview, a check with its security partners and is satisfied enough to issue a temporary residency.   What more are you suggesting?  Maybe its safer just to take the ones that have a bible in their hand?  Does Canada have a moral responsibility to take some action from a humanitarian crisis?  Im curious what would satisfy you exactly.  I don't think anyone is saying dump them onto the streets without some process... but have some recognition that these people are fleeing war and ISIS. They will probably make fantastic citizens of our country. 

• Nparker and Mr Cook Street like this

#28 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

So what do you want?  Lets say mother and father ran a bakery in Damascus before fleeing to Lebanon with their two children when barrel bombs started getting dropped on their neighbourhood. The UN flags them as a priority to the Government of Canada. Canada conducts a screening, an interview, a check with its security partners and is satisfied enough to issue a temporary residency.   What more are you suggesting?  Maybe its safer just to take the ones that have a bible in their hand?  Does Canada have a moral responsibility to take some action from a humanitarian crisis?  Im curious what would satisfy you exactly.  I don't think anyone is saying dump them onto the streets without some process... but have some recognition that these people are fleeing war and ISIS. They will probably make fantastic citizens of our country. 

Here is the straight scoop on your UN claim.

http://news.national...ly-against-them

Canada hasn't even started the process with the UN yet and somehow 25,000 are to be screened in the next 5 weeks?​ Sorry but the safety of my family outweighs someone's desire for the "million dollar ticket".

#29 satellite

satellite
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

So what would satisfy you that this restaurant owner isn't trying to kill your family?

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

So what would satisfy you that this restaurant owner isn't trying to kill your family?

As I have said all along, I want all 25,000 properly and adequately screened BEFORE they come to Canada. That will take longer than 5 weeks so the Liberals will need to deal with that.

#31 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

Greek Government claiming that one of the attackers is Syrian and came through Leros as a refugee.

http://news.national...greece-official

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:33 AM

I would guess that if a poll was run right now 95%+ of Canadians would say hold off. This is Trudeau's first chance at leadership and he is failing badly.

Agreed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

Agreed.

Judging by responses on the Globe and Mail, CBC and National Post websites I would amend my guess to 99.9999%+ (the .0001 is you Satellite!)

Trudeau and Sajjan are too inexperienced to handle this but McCallum is not. He knows exactly what the reaction will be if we let 25,000 people in and there is an incident. I expect that he will step in shortly.

Edited by spanky123, 14 November 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

As I have said all along, I want all 25,000 properly and adequately screened BEFORE they come to Canada. That will take longer than 5 weeks so the Liberals will need to deal with that.

I agree.

Here are some older warnings,

CBC News Posted: May 17, 2015 3:45 PM ET

ISIS is smuggling extremists into Europe using boats carrying migrants across the Mediterranean from North Africa, an adviser to the Libyan government has said in an interview.

Abdul Basit Haroun told the BBC that militants with the group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria are hiding among refugees who, for a number of years, have been boarding boats in Libya destined for the Italian coast.

Haroun said he gathered information from conversations he had with the smugglers themselves.

He said ISIS has used the boats believing "European police don't know who is from [Islamic State] and who is a normal refugee or not."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-says-1.3077626

UPDATED: 12:07, Mon, Sep 14, 2015                    

AN OPERATIVE working for Islamic State has revealed the terror group has successfully smuggled thousands of covert jihadists into Europe.

Islamic State, also referred to as IS and ISIS, is believed to be actively smuggling deadly gunmen across the sparsely-guarded 565-mile Turkish border and on to richer European nations, he revealed.

They are following the well-trodden route taken by refugees and migrants fleeing, travelling across the border of Turkey then on boats across to Greece and through Europe.

http://www.express.c...Europe-Refugees

#35 satellite

satellite
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

I don't think my position is too far off yours. I agree the security & interview process should be conducted before being put on a plane, and the five week promise shouldn't trump a proper screening. What I'm concerned about is legitimate refugees being equated with a risk of terrorism and reneging on a commitment to bring in 25K period. Leaving these people in a refugee camp indefinitely is not going to help global security.  Luckily being in North America we have easier control over our borders and should be able to control for any elements of risk. What we don't need is a stigma of terrorism following legitimate families fleeing isis who may try to start a new life in Canada. 

I think the big focus in counter terrorism needs to be in confronting why certain elements of society feel disaffected and drawn to radical ideology.  Bebau, Nuttal and Korody were all home-grown self radicalized converts. Build the wall as high as you like around Canada, this will still be the primary risk.  

• Nparker likes this

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

10 months since Charlie Hebdo attack

"This is an act of war.... France will be merciless toward the barbarians." 

Those were the words of French President François Hollande on the dark morning after. But the actions of his government sent a different message.

A national state of emergency; schools, museums and theatres closed until further notice in the Paris region; a ban on public marches and demonstrations — all this spoke of a government on the defensive, unsure of where and when the next attack might come.

France has much to fear. Officials number at least 570 French jihadists who have managed to get to Syria to fight.

One anti-terrorism police officer described them as time-bombs if and when they return to France.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...3319198?cmp=rss

#37 Szeven

Szeven
  • 819 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:42 PM

For yhe first time I am seeing anti Islam posts on my Facebook feed. The backlash is definitely what scares me most.

#38 SamCB

SamCB
  • 611 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

"The backlash is what scares me most"

You could not have chosen a better sentence to communicate that you have zero experience with terrorism or combat.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#39 satellite

satellite
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

"The backlash is what scares me most"

You could not have chosen a better sentence to communicate that you have zero experience with terrorism or combat.

or lots of experience: https://en.wikipedia...dian_internment

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,504 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

...reneging on a commitment to bring in 25K period.

A political promise is worthless. Reality should dictate what we can and can't do, and at this moment the last thing we should be concerned about is what a politician promised before the events in Paris.
  • Bingo likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users