Photo

Is it odd that most of the local media takes the weekend off?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

Hamilton’s CHCH channel is cutting back on local news in an attempt to right its troubled finances.

The broadcaster broke into its regular news programming on Friday to announce the changes.

Romen Podzyhun, chief executive of CHCH’s parent company Channel Zero, told viewers the channel would not be airing its 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. news broadcasts on Friday.

Podzyhun did not give a reason for the one day stoppage, but said the station would resume reduced local coverage on Monday.

http://news.national...-remain-solvent

Oh my.  You cut back too much and someone just might not find any reason to tune in in the first place. 

This just in, breaking news!  We won't be breaking any news anymore on Friday nights.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

CTV VI has not added a single story to their website since Friday.  

CFAX had one yesterday, none today, but 5 on Friday, 6 Thursday.

That's really lame.

• Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

CTV VI has not added a single story to their website since Friday.  

CFAX had one yesterday, none today, but 5 on Friday, 6 Thursday.

That's really lame.

Meanwhile VV is out shaking the trees and pounding the pavement to see what surfaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

5 hour police stand-off on Gorge last night, people were unable to return to their apartments.  No media coverage except Victoria Buzz.  No TC, no TV, no mention on CFAX this morning.

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

^ No mention on Kool, Ocean, Q this morning.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

CFAX posted one post on FB last night, but did not know the nature of the thing, just that there were lots of cops and the road was blocked.  Then they went to bed.

Victoria Buzz stayed on it until the arrest at 2:30am.

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

5 hour police stand-off on Gorge last night, people were unable to return to their apartments.  No media coverage except Victoria Buzz.  No TC, no TV, no mention on CFAX this morning.

I'm guessing VicPD didn't put out a statement to the media then.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

I'm guessing VicPD didn't put out a statement to the media then.

No, but lots of citizen reporters on the scene were in touch with Buzz.  Buzz did not post photos while the siege was on.  The Buzz website article had about 6,000 views, the FB updates on Buzz had a little over 50,0000.

#29 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

The police seem to pretty much ask people not to look, nothing to see here, please don't post anything as it might jeopardize the operation ... so I can see why media outlets who want to keep a relationship would be mostly quiet about things like that.

Us civilians, though...

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

16 hours after it began began, CTV has it.

http://vancouverisla...ndoff-1.2788168

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

TC is on it now, about 19 hours after it began.

http://www.timescolo...rrest-1.2181680

#32 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

Is it just me, because I'm searching for news to fill my social media pages?

But seriously, the major media here just abandons their job for 2 days every week.

Wait, so after all those gleeful posts about how traditional media is going down the drain you're now complaining they're not doing your work for you?  

As for the police standoff, let's think about why it even matters.  Who cares about a police standoff in the city?  And even if you are vaguely interested in the news, will it matter to anyone whether they hear about it 20 minutes after it happens or the next day?   The only people that care are the people in the building, and they don't need the news or social media to tell them.  

Maybe at some point we can stop obsessing about how we can speed up the never ending stream of info-garbage.  

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,160 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

If this incident had occurred during the middle of the work week every media outlet in town would have had a cameraman or photographer stationed at that scene.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users