Syrian Refugees

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

http://news.national...omers-to-canada

Guess it does not matter how good the cause, people will still find a way to make it about money.

A former Liberal Minister to make $110 000 for 3 months work.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

"...justified because it includes vacation pay."

But of course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

http://news.national...omers-to-canada

Guess it does not matter how good the cause, people will still find a way to make it about money.

A former Liberal Minister to make $110 000 for 3 months work.

Or the cynical will claim that if there is enough money on the table then people will find the 'good cause'.

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

The government is not only looking for air carriers to fly Syrian refugees from camps abroad to Canada, but it is also looking for chartered aircrafts to carry the refugees to other cities across the country once they have landed in Toronto and Montreal.

According to the document posted online, the government is seeking Canadian air carriers "interested to offer discounts on commercial flights to transport refugees to their assigned communities."

The flights will land at either Toronto's Pearson airport or Montreal's Trudeau airport and continue until at least Feb. 29, 2016, "but may be required later."

Each aircraft has to seat at least 200 and fly direct between the locations.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...3346228?cmp=rss

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

But discounts what they mean is "offer us what you think is reasonable ...and we'll add 25%."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

But discounts what they mean is "offer us what you think is reasonable ...and we'll add 25%."

As far as I know, there is only one "Canadian airline" which has aircraft capable of flying direct between Jordan and Toronto and carrying at least 200 people. I would expect that those seats could be seat at an enormous premium right now. 

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:37 AM

I'm sure if WestJet wanted to, they could charter a long range plane for a couple of trips.

#8 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I'm sure if WestJet wanted to, they could charter a long range plane for a couple of trips.

I guess they could but then again the Government could as well. Wouldn't be Westjet crew though as none would be certified to fly that series of jet.

#9 jonny

jonny
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

WestJet has 767s they are flying to the UK now.

#10 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

I don't know if those 767s can fly from Lebanon to Montreal direct though. It's a bit further than they do now, I believe.

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

After all the ruckus, we may not even find 25000 refugees who want to come to Canada so quickly!

http://www.theglobea...rticle27561756/

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

I don't know if those 767s can fly from Lebanon to Montreal direct though. It's a bit further than they do now, I believe.

I'm sure the refugees would survive a pit stop in London.

#13 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

After all the ruckus, we may not even find 25000 refugees who want to come to Canada so quickly!

http://www.theglobea...rticle27561756/

Travel to a country where you do not speak a word of the language, freeze your butt off 6 months of the year and have no job prospects. Who would not want a piece of that? 

• RoadRunner likes this

#14 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

Travel to a country where you do not speak a word of the language, freeze your butt off 6 months of the year and have no job prospects. Who would not want a piece of that? 

That is pretty much their lot in life currently, but they are living in tents (if they are lucky) as winter sets in. Pretty easy to see how coming to Canada is an improvement over a crowded refugee camp. It would be terrifying, but worth the trip I think.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

It would be terrifying, but worth the trip I think.

Oh c'mon...

Know it all.

#16 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

A lot of the refugees don't know a thing about Canada, let alone know where we are on a map. They have left everything they know behind. I'm sure it would be terrifying.

*Maybe 'terrifying' is too strong a word. Intimidating?

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 02 December 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

I'm fairly certain a war ravaged, violent country where the average life span is vastly shortened is far more intimidating than the prospect of moving to the world's wealthiest country.

A move to Canada is a golden ticket. But I get what you're saying, that no doubt the unknown is perhaps scary, but they'll be welcomed with open arms here and helped to get established. Any Syrian who ends up here will recognize how fortunate they are soon after their arrival, I'm sure.

Know it all.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

A lot of the refugees don't know a thing about Canada, let alone know where we are on a map. They have left everything they know behind. I'm sure it would be terrifying.

This is why some people are happy to help the refugees, and not our homeless:

Safely in Canada, Alan Kurdi’s uncle gets back to work

For 30 years before the civil war broke out in Syria, Mohammed Kurdi was a barber. Now, more than 5,000 miles from his war-torn homeland, he has returned to the business of cutting hair.

Kurdi, who recently arrived in Canada as a refugee, joined his younger sister Tima Kurdi for the grand opening of their new hair salon in Coquitlam on Saturday.

Speaking with his sister as a translator, Kurdi told reporters his family is adjusting to life in Canada. Getting back to work is an important part of that adjustment, and one he said many Syrians feel when they immigrate to a new country.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#19 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

From the Globe on Jan 1...

Why some Syrian refugees decline Canada’s resettlement offer

http://www.theglobea...rticle27985618/

#20 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

From the Globe on Jan 1...

Why some Syrian refugees decline Canada’s resettlement offer

http://www.theglobea...rticle27985618/

Ya, I can understand all that.  And look, someone that is illiterate and 20 or 25 years old in Syria, you can't really expect them to excel here in our language.  They have missed the prime learning time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users