• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Perhaps ironic.

Might have been refugees that caused the fire at 830 Craigflower, forcing 50 people from their homes.

http://www.timescolo...s-out-1.2186182

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

Perhaps ironic.

Might have been refugees that caused the fire at 830 Craigflower, forcing 50 people from their homes.

It is our responsibility to help refugees remain safe in their new homes especially if they have trouble understanding our language and reading the posted safety precautions.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

It is our responsibility to help refugees remain safe in their new homes especially if they have trouble understanding our language and reading the posted safety precautions.

I'm not sure many 70's era apartments come with any safety precaution labelling.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

I'm not sure many 70's era apartments come with any safety precaution labelling.

It is our responsibility to ensure the thousands of Syrian refugees are housed with the appropriate safety labelling. How hard can that be?

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

It is our responsibility to ensure the thousands of Syrian refugees are housed with the appropriate safety labelling. How hard can that be?

How hard can it be to not to burn your apartment down? 

#46 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Let's not jump the gun.  It could be a faulty toaster.  They might not be actual refugees.  Get some facts first.

• Benezet likes this

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Well, there is the problem. Generally you should not use a toaster in the bedroom.

#48 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

Well, there is the problem. Generally you should not use a toaster in the bedroom.

does it say bedroom?

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Beds pushed up against electric baseboard heaters are not safe.

#50 Benezet

Benezet
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Perhaps ironic.

There's nothing in this article that says the fire was 'caused' by anyone. There's nothing that says a toaster was at fault. There's nothing that says the ex-Jordanian occupants are refugees.
  • weirdie likes this

#51 nagel

nagel
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

There's nothing in this article that says the fire was 'caused' by anyone. There's nothing that says a toaster was at fault. There's nothing that says the ex-Jordanian occupants are refugees.

Thank god.  I'm not actually insane / cannot read.

• Benezet likes this

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

This is the Syrian refugee thread.

Moderators need to start a toaster in the bedroom at fault thread.

• VicHockeyFan and Benezet like this

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

does it say bedroom?

That's what the fire guy said.  It started in the bedroom.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

That's why I said "might have".

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Esquimalt fire takes everything from immigrant family

The walls are black with soot, floors are covered with debris and ash is everywhere.

“We lost everything, everything. We don’t have anything now.”

The fire started in the bedroom closet, but what sparked it is still a mystery.

“What’s happened?” he asked. “Because here there is so electric outlet no oven nothing,” Alaas said.

The couple and their three young children immigrated from Jordan a year and a half ago.

They were veterinarians running their own clinic, but they sold everything to escape the war and move to Canada.

but they sold everything to escape the war and move to Canada

Well, there is no war in Jordan, so the news story is incomplete/inaccurate.  They are most likely Syrians.

#56 Benezet

Benezet
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

[erroneous, sorry]

Edited by Benezet, 02 March 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Actually, there is a war in Jordan.

https://en.m.wikiped...r_(2014–present)

"As of February 2015, damage and disorder from the war has been considerable. There are frequent electric outages, little business activity, and a loss in revenues from oil by 90%. Over 4,000 people have died from the fighting, and some sources claim nearly a third of the country’s population has fled to Tunisia as refugees."

?

Your link is a war in Libya.

Jordan might be fighting on one side, but it's hardly creating displacement of Jordan civilians.

#58 Benezet

Benezet
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

?

Your link is a war in Libya.

Jordan might be fighting on one side, but it's hardly creating displacement of Jordan civilians.

My mistake. As you were.

#59 Benezet

Benezet
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

Well, there is no war in Jordan, so the news story is incomplete/inaccurate. They are most likely Syrians.

Let me try this again... There was a civil war in Jordan in 2011, and perhaps that's why these unlucky Jordanians moved away.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Let me try this again... There was a civil war in Jordan in 2011

It was not such a thing that displaced a single Jordanian.  And it was certainly not a war, civil or otherwise.

So I'm pretty sure these folks have not been here since 2011, fleeing that uprising.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.