Photo

Syrian Refugees

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#61 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

VHF can you just make your assertion?  Is it that Syrian refugees like to start fires in bedroom closets so they should stay in Syria?

It could be shoddy wiring.  It doesn't look like the best apartment building in the city.

• Benezet likes this

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

VHF can you just make your assertion?  Is it that Syrian refugees like to start fires in bedroom closets so they should stay in Syria?

No, I was just looking at the irony, as I said:

Perhaps ironic.

Might have been refugees that caused the fire at 830 Craigflower, forcing 50 people from their homes.

And it turns out I was right.  All you others tried to suggest otherwise.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Right about what?

The problem is they are here as visitors, they don’t have refugee status or work permits.

#64 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

We also have nothing on cause as of yet.

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

I was right that they were Syrian refugees.  ie. the fled the Syrian war.  Now these Muslims are being taken care of by Christians.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

I was right that they were Syrian refugees. ie. the fled the Syrian war. Now these Muslims are being taken care of by Christians.

Please show us how you determined these Jordanians are Syrians. And which war they fled from. And which religion they follow. Thanks.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

Please show us how you determined these Jordanians are Syrians. And which war they fled from. And which religion they follow. Thanks.

I just used common sense, while all of you are using denial.

I think their dress reveals their religious following.

#68 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

I just used common sense, while all of you are using denial.

I think their dress reveals their religious following.

Thanks for the reply. One last question: what is ironic about a refugee causing a fire?

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

You don't see the irony of a fire in a refugees apartment displacing 50 other tenants?

I'm not laughing about this, but I think it's OK to see irony where it might exist.
  • todd likes this

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,423 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

Regardless of the who and what's, how does a fire start in a closet?

The only thing I can think of it someone was sleeping in the closet. I've seen that in small apartments.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. One last question: what is ironic about a refugee causing a fire?

Well there is a sick irony but we have no proof they caused the fire.

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

How does sleeping cause a fire?

Anyway, I wish the story was more complete.

They have no work permits, and now appear to have nothing, how were they surviving?

As "visitors", do they receive welfare payments?

#73 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

People have been known to have barbeques in apartments.

#74 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

Well there is a sick irony but we have no proof they caused the fire.

Of course. But what I'm wondering is what VHF finds ironic about the scenario he put forward initially, whether proven or not.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

Family is displaced by war in a Middle East country.

Moves to Victoria.

A fire in their suite displaces 50 renters here.

That's irony.
  • Matt R., Bingo and todd like this

#76 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

It is theoretically ironic but I'd like to not assume they caused the fire until we have some proof.  It could be shoddy wiring or a host of other causes.  Even if it was a person sleeping in the closet with a cigarette I'm not sure what the take away is.  It could easily have happened with an "old-stock" Canadian too.

• VicHockeyFan and weirdie like this

#77 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Unless I read things all wrong, the people were not home when the fire started.

#78 todd

todd

- gone fishing -

• 6,395 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

Well, there is the problem. Generally you should not use a toaster in the bedroom.

Since when? Maybe you shouldn't have it in the bed with you, can't make breakfast in bed without a toaster and hotplate on the nightstand.

• Mike K. likes this

#79 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:22 PM

I don't see much Irony or humour in it. Maybe if the family fought so much and so loud that the tenants all started leaving the apartment to seek asylum somewhere else.... This just sounds like bad luck....

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,423 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

I don't think it's funny at all, but it is ironic.

Geez, you guys. We're all in this together one way or another. It's ok to see things for what they are without getting your knickers in a knot.
  • kingcollar likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users