Syrian Refugees

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#81 Wayne

Wayne
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

http://news.national...idnt-stay-there

Federal government spent $6 million upgrading military bases for Syrian refugees who didn’t stay there.

The money is not a complete waste, as some of the upgrades were needed. Furnaces, upgrades to washrooms and running water.

Funny they can do this for refugees but not the military pers who were living there.
  • spanky123 and Love the rock like this

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Syrian refugee housing numbers improving, next step is finding jobs: McCallum

http://ipolitics.ca/...-jobs-mccallum/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 LJ

LJ
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Well one of them could take McCallum's job, that would be an improvement.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#84 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

Well one of them could take McCallum's job, that would be an improvement.

I agree, what a crazy dinosaur.

Anyway, they will find jobs if they are hard-working, and not if they are not, just like any other Canadians.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:52 AM

The Rebel is alleging that the mainstream media is purposefully avoiding reporting on significant issues occurring at a New Brunswick school.

In this video The Rebel outlines how it filed FOI requests at a school and 2,700 documents were supplied, with more to come. The documents outlined issues with aggressive challenges towards teachers by the migrant students, adult migrant men trying to seduce young girls, while other students feared speaking out out of concerns that they would be labelled racists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXc05jpB9s

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:53 AM

I saw a story about that in a mainstream newspaper, and a follow-up story on CTV.*

*I originally wrote CBC.

Edited by Jill, 10 July 2016 - 06:23 AM.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

Are you currently on the East Coast? When did the story(s) air? I think The Rebel first published their findings on June 27th.

This is an issue of national importance but I'm not sure if we've had exposure to the problems in our media.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

I saw the original story several days ago. I'm not convinced there is much fire.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:01 AM

I guess it depends how the story was framed. The Rebel is alleging there's far more going on than officials have divulged and some individuals are concerned about the optics of coming forward with their accounts of bullying or harassment.

Know it all.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

I guess it depends how the story was framed. The Rebel is alleging there's far more going on than officials have divulged and some individuals are concerned about the optics of coming forward with their accounts of bullying or harassment.

They got hold of 2700 e-mails, I'm not convinced there is all that much going on.  It does seem odd that 22-year-olds would be in class with 14-year-olds.  It seems to me they would just need English-language classes, maybe not 10th-grade Math.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Right, that's a bizarre decision for someone to have made, likely in haste.

Know it all.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Right, that's a bizarre decision for someone to have made, likely in haste.

A guess a lack of resources might have forced that, but it might not be fair to others in those classes.

OK, Mary, we have a whole bunch of young adults coming into the city, how can we find them English lessons?

I don't know, Phil, let's just throw sprinkle them into 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade classes, they ought to pick up some English there.

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

Right, which leads me to believe similar instances of far less than ideal situations are playing out across the country, but we're not really following up on the situation. We'll hear about fundraisers, we'll hear about benefit concerts, but we don't really know how things are going.

Know it all.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

Well, and regarding the kids calling the Jewish students names or whatever, that's the culture they grow up in, it's been encouraged for generations.  It's not going to stop 3 months after arriving in Canada.  Their parents hold the exact same views, just likely more descretion that kids do.

#95 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

The Rebel is alleging that the mainstream media is purposefully avoiding reporting on significant issues occurring at a New Brunswick school.

In this video The Rebel outlines how it filed FOI requests at a school and 2,700 documents were supplied, with more to come. The documents outlined issues with aggressive challenges towards teachers by the migrant students, adult migrant men trying to seduce young girls, while other students feared speaking out out of concerns that they would be labelled racists.

The Rebel - now *there's* a reputable news source...when the 'story' shows up in the Globe, NatPost, CBC or CTV, then there's something to it.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,450 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:49 AM

It has on the east coast, as Jill has confirmed, but it certainly took a while, and may have been avoided entirely had it not been for The Rebel.

Know it all.

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

The Rebel - now *there's* a reputable news source...when the 'story' shows up in the Globe, NatPost, CBC or CTV, then there's something to it.

Ottawa Sun

Global

CTV

24 Hours (Postmedia)

Macleans

Probably nobody should be surprised the CBC is not covering it...  (  

Federal budget pledges $675-million in CBC funding  )

#98 todd

todd

- gone fishing -

• 6,395 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

We have seen in Germany and Sweden the mass cover-up of incidents with refugees.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#99 todd

todd

- gone fishing -

• 6,395 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

To be fair I've taken some classes in BC with folks from the Maritimes.... I'm not sure if in the same way, but my god never a boring moment.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

http://www.theprovin...0705/story.html

2,000 men allegedly assaulted 1,200 women across Germany on New Year’s Eve: leaked police report

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users