Photo

Famous Original | Victoria | 500-block of Yates

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

They are trying to get people to stick around and spend more money there. Not much profit off a slice and a PBR. Need massive volume to cover costs in a large space like that. Switching to table service is an attempt to get people to have a second slice/beer. And I bet they have a hard time keeping staff as the tips on counter sales are usually dismal.

Edited by Klapecki, 21 April 2018 - 07:56 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

They are trying to get people to stick around and spend more money there. Not much profit off a slice and a PBR. Need massive volume to cover costs in a large space like that. Switching to table service is an attempt to get people to have a second slice/beer. And I bet they have a hard time keeping staff as the tips on counter sales are usually dismal.

Yes, that sounds right.  

• zoomer likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

Looks like Famous Original is out of business?

Perhaps only doing renovations, but certainly looks deserted...

IMG_2224.jpg

#44 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:08 AM

Oh man, i sure hope its just renovations
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#45 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

There website is still up... but no update.

Phone number still works but goes to voicemail. Not updated.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

I’ve reached out to someone who will know. Hold tight.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:42 AM

Looks like Famous Original is out of business?

Perhaps only doing renovations, but certainly looks deserted...

That place has been running on fumes for months and even maybe years.  It was always a bit of an awkward place to eat but really went downhill after they squeezed their original GM out.  Lunch service got to the point that we stopped going because we couldn't get in/out in time. Also, it always seemed from the outside - and to a lesser extent, from inside too - to be closed.  It had this sad, dank lighting which was even more pronounced when it was sunny outside.

#48 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:54 AM

That place has been running on fumes for months and even maybe years. It was always a bit of an awkward place to eat but really went downhill after they squeezed their original GM out. Lunch service got to the point that we stopped going because we couldn't get in/out in time. Also, it always seemed from the outside - and to a lesser extent, from inside too - to be closed. It had this sad, dank lighting which was even more pronounced when it was sunny outside.

Why awkward? Never went for lunch but liked it a lot every time ive been and it always seemed busy, including the patio. Fun place for casual night out. Cheap too
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#49 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

^Have to agree. Never went for lunch, but experience was always positive, and the place busy when I was there.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#50 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:03 PM

They seem to paper up the windows every night. It’s weird. I thought it was closed over a year ago for the same reason.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

I can confirm the pizzeria has shut down :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:23 PM

Why awkward? Never went for lunch but liked it a lot every time ive been and it always seemed busy, including the patio. Fun place for casual night out. Cheap too

When we went, there were always service issues. One day it’s sir down, the other it's cafeteria style. Or when it was both, invariably the choice we made took waaaay longer than the other. The video games never worked - I was really looking forward to some Mortal Kombat. It just always seemed sad and confused in there, like it was almost as though they were trying to run it into the ground. The last time was last summer - we just gave up after that.
  • hotdoglegz and jonny like this

#53 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 08:10 AM

When we went, there were always service issues. One day it’s sir down, the other it's cafeteria style. Or when it was both, invariably the choice we made took waaaay longer than the other. The video games never worked - I was really looking forward to some Mortal Kombat. It just always seemed sad and confused in there, like it was almost as though they were trying to run it into the ground. The last time was last summer - we just gave up after that.

Ditto. 

Pizza no good. Beer no good. Video games no good. 

My reaction the last time I want was like "Oh sweet, they have skeeball. Wait, skeeball no worky....sad."

• Bob Fugger likes this

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

What!?!! I loved their selection of shitty beers. Not everyone wants craft beer or mystery "house" beer.

Know it all.

#55 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

I went once, wasn't impressed by the pizza. Within a five minute walk you have The Joint, Fiamo, and Famoso Neopolitan, and then there's Brickyard just up the road by Blanshard.

#56 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

What!?!! I loved their selection of shitty beers. Not everyone wants craft beer or mystery "house" beer.

Good for not everyone. 

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:51 AM

Whatever, craft boy! Union made domestics and American imports still outsell craft beer 9:1 in this country.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#58 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

I didn't mind the pizza at this place, and their dip game was pretty solid. Only ate there three times I think, and each time I went it was very quiet.

One thing I did notice the few times I went here was just how many people would stop out front, stare at the building and signboard out front, hum and haw about going in, but then leave. Just couldn't pull those folks in. Sad to see it go, now I'm craving a slice.

#59 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:04 AM

Whatever, craft boy! Union made domestics and American imports still outsell craft beer 9:1 in this country.

Giant corporations have better national sales than locally-owned small businesses? Shocking  :P

I believe 9:1 across the country, but I'd be curious about the ratio just in BC. I imagine it's much lower since our craft scene is so developed and (for the most part) delicious.

Back on topic, I agree with pretty much everyone else. The pizza was sometimes good, sometimes gross. Service was sometimes good, sometimes terrible. They tried to change up how they ran the place several times but could just never find a model that worked it seemed. Overall...shrug. I'd rather go to Brickyard anyway.

#60 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Doesn't surprise me.  There were apparently management issues where items like pay and more were problems.  The question to me is whether it was the investors, the banks, VIHA or LCB that caused the final closure.

"I know nothing"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users