Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#61 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

If you print the message out and stick it under you mattress it still exists.

Good tip, I do that with my regular posts, but not my private messages currently.

#62 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

Good tip, I do that with my regular posts, but not my private messages currently.

How do you know that the person you are messaging isn't printing out the message and sticking it in a drawer?

#63 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

How do you know that the person you are messaging isn't printing out the message and sticking it in a drawer?

Oh I know.

#64 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:41 AM

Perhaps the husband found the tweets, and had a 'WTF, Over!' moment, and complained up the line somewhere. Id imagine, that if you had a complaint about your boss, you'd go over their head, and isnt that the police board?
  • Rob Randall likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#65 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:49 AM

So there wasn't a formal complaint, therefore, how could there have been an investigation if a complaint is required to launch one, according to VHF?

Desjardins is quoted in the TC as stating a "concern was raised". How thinly does she want to split hairs?

#66 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

With so little detail made public it makes you wonder, was the exchange more benign than we imagine, or worse than we imagine? There are no real hints except the outcome of the investigation, which means little.

It's not hard to imagine he was having an affair with his officer's wife, and the twitter messages (the paper trail) were discovered and found to be slightly inappropriate, but not incriminating.

Also not hard to imagine a benign conversation where an off-colour meme or joke or suggestive comment was made, and that's the extent of it.

Either scenario could lead to the outcome of the investigation we have here.

I'll bet that you get a few of them. Desjardins made the comment yesterday that she hopes that "the Chief and his officers can pull together". Sounds like there are a few people that might be happy to see him go.

#67 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

Elsner's antics made the National Post today.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

Rob Shaw was on CFAX this morning, good interview.  He went over how hard it was for him to get anyone to talk, on Friday and Saturday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

http://news.national...bordinates-wife

Married Victoria police chief ‘humiliated beyond words’ about inappropriate Twitter messages to subordinate’s wife

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

It's nice to see Shaw covering Victoria news. I was getting a little annoyed with Tristan Hopper's "Victoria sucks" angle to every piece.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

It's nice to see Shaw covering Victoria news. I was getting a little annoyed with Tristan Hopper's "Victoria sucks" angle to every piece.

He said that he was tipped off by locals, that knew of his coverage when he worked for the TC.  I'll link the CFAX podcast when it's up shortly, it's worth listening to.

#72 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:26 PM

And the Globe...

http://www.theglobea...rticle27628118/

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

CFAX audio, where Rob Shaw, explains how he got the story and how he was stonewalled by the board (Desjardins) and police staff on Friday and Saturday when asking them about it.

CBC with 140 comments.

• todd likes this

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Stonewalled is a very strong term.

It's too bad Desjardin made the statements that she did. I mean, she lied, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

I think she tried to keep a personnel issue a personnel issue, that is not commented on in the public.  But that was probably a mistake in this case. 

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

You can't disclose an employee's personal investigation info just because a reporter stumbled across some leaked info. The only correct answer for the employer (in this case Desjardin) is to say to the press that "you have asked me a personnel question and as you know, nobody is allowed to confirm, deny or discuss internal matters regarding personnel." It's a more honest answer than straight out lying but yes, these things put politicians in a difficult spot.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Can't they say "no comment?"

I know the media loves to hypothesize when "no comment" is used, but that's a simple out leaving no trail to pick up on.

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

You can't disclose an employee's personal investigation info just because a reporter stumbled across some leaked info. The only correct answer for the employer (in this case Desjardin) is to say to the press that "you have asked me a personnel question and as you know, nobody is allowed to confirm, deny or discuss internal matters regarding personnel." It's a more honest answer than straight out lying but yes, these things put politicians in a difficult spot.

Well, rumblings were getting around (Desjardins even admitted that), and as Rob Shaw said on CFAX this morning, a story was coming out, based on what he knew, no matter what.  It just would have had less details than we now have.

#79 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hogwash. She had no problems disclosing the information after it became apparent that the reporter had it. It simply looks like Desjardins figured she could blow the reporter off and it backfired.

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Intentionally misleading and a lie are the same thing in my books.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users