Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#781 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

Darren Laur, the White Hatter, has an online privacy protection business with his wife. They came to my kids school last year, impressive presentation.

Matt.
  • David Bratzer and pennymurphy2000 like this

#782 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

On side note he was the street cop that used to save my butt when I was serving pizza at 3am at Brickyard and we would run out of pepperoni. The fists would fly and then Darren would come in and save the day. This would have been the mid 1990s.
  • David Bratzer likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#783 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

I have a lesser experience with him. But I was also a bit of a jerk when I was in my early 20's.

I also think their online safety business is a bit extreme. Not many people are really being raped or killed or robbed due to what they posted online. It's a bit fanciful.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 June 2017 - 08:53 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#784 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

I agree, it was a bit extreme but still lots of useful information in there.

Matt.

#785 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

He resigned last year. I wonder if it was related to this complaint and if he had first approached Del Manak with his concerns.

He retired early last year, not resigned.  (Small but important difference.) I remember his last day because he did a few things that I thought were very classy (for example he bought roses for all the dispatchers and call takers).

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, sebberry and 2 others like this

#786 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:16 AM

He retired early last year, not resigned.  (Small but important difference.) I remember his last day because he did a few things that I thought were very classy (for example he bought roses for all the dispatchers and call takers).

Fair enough. My understanding is that Darren had 30 years in and was already working on his Whitehatter business. He is also still a young guy (early 50's I think) and could have stayed on. 

It sounds like Darren started his complaint while he was still a member. Always exceptions but it sounds strange to me that a happy guy counting down days to retirement would start muckracking. Usually it is the other way around, you start muckracking and your boss encourages you to start counting down the days to retirement!

Del Manak has stated publicly that he wants the chief's job. I have no issues with Del at all, but I think it is a perfectly valid question to ask if he knew about the complaint and what his role was in pursuing it. In addition, did he make misrepresentations to council when he requested additional operating funds? Either one of those two could disqualify him as a candidate for chief in my opinion.

#787 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:20 AM

"Always exceptions but it sounds strange to me that a happy guy counting down days to retirement would start muckracking."

Not so strange if the happy guy approaching retirement is also someone with integrity and a sense of responsibility.

Edited by Jill, 09 June 2017 - 05:21 AM.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#788 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:21 AM

On CFAX yesterday, Michael Mulligan made a couple of additional claims (sounds like he may have been working to some extent with Darren). He stated that Darren initiated his complaint last year and that the police board denied it so he appealed to the OPCC. The OPCC contacted the police board and the board responded that the OPCC did not have authority to investigate the claim (sound familiar?). The board didn't deny the facts at issue or claim that they had sought permission from council for the expenditures, instead they decided to challenge the process on the basis that the OPCC can only investigate general performance issues and these were specific financial transactions. 

#789 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

I have a lesser experience with him. But I was also a bit of a jerk when I was in my early 20's.

I also think their online safety business is a bit extreme. Not many people are really being raped or killed or robbed due to what they posted online. It's a bit fanciful.

He's all about online safety but I can go to his website, see the photos of him and his family, see his home address and phone number, and presumably rob the place when he's out on a presentation.  That's not very internet smart.

He makes money by giving talks that are paid for overwhelmingly by taxpayer money, about crimes that are extremely rare.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 June 2017 - 06:51 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#790 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

He makes money by giving talks that are paid for overwhelmingly by taxpayer money, about crimes that are extremely rare.

What are you talking about?  Private schools pay to fly this guy all over North America. And in the past he has done countless local talks for free or at cost.  Kids get bullied, harassed, hacked, scammed, stalked and lured online. That is 100% reality in 2017.  Families, schools and police all try to reduce the consequences when it happens but it can be tough to have a positive positive resolution. Prevention is the way to go.

• spanky123, sebberry, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#791 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

What are you talking about?  Private schools pay to fly this guy all over North America. And in the past he has done countless local talks for free or at cost.  Kids get bullied, harassed, hacked, scammed, stalked and lured online. That is 100% reality in 2017.  Families, schools and police all try to reduce the consequences when it happens but it can be tough to have a positive positive resolution. Prevention is the way to go.

Maybe I still hate him from my run-in in the late 80's or whenever.  I think he's over the top.  Adults telling kids what to do has never really worked.  Anti-bullying programs have never worked.

In the famous Happy Days episode, Richie Fights Back even his dad told him, at some point you need to fight back, with physical force.  That was a great lesson.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 June 2017 - 07:06 PM.

• David Bratzer likes this

#792 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Each successive generation is substantially less violent than the one before it - it's a bit of a media misplay that makes people think that's not the case. So clearly some messaging whether direct or indirect is getting through.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

...In the famous Happy Days episode, Richie Fights Back even his dad told him, at some point you need to fight back, with physical force.  That was a great lesson.

Personally, the greatest lesson I learned from Happy Days was never to waterski while wearing a leather jacket. 

• VicHockeyFan, Love the rock and kafkaesque like this

#794 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

Anti-bullying programs have never worked.

What prey tell is your source for this information. "Never". Are you sure?

• Jill, Bingo, David Bratzer and 1 other like this

#795 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:33 AM

^ Breitbart! 🤣
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#796 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

90% of parents and kids aren't up to speed on online privacy like many of us here are. Darren works with his wife and son and has a very creative and relevant presentation. Kudos to him for his work.

• Matt R. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#797 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

Maybe I still hate him from my run-in in the late 80's or whenever.  I think he's over the top.  Adults telling kids what to do has never really worked.  Anti-bullying programs have never worked.

In the famous Happy Days episode, Richie Fights Back even his dad told him, at some point you need to fight back, with physical force.  That was a great lesson.

It's amazing how well things can work out for the lead character in a scripted show.

Edited by Jill, 10 June 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R., David Bratzer and 1 other like this

#798 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Hahha. VHF robbing Darren Laur's house while he's away, I'd love to see that security camera footage. Did they make a Home Alone 4?

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Jill and 1 other like this

#799 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

I was friends with Del Manak's younger brother back on San Juan Ave in the 80's, we'd play street hockey a lot and every once in a while Del would come and play with us. At the time he was playing for the Cougars, if memory serves. Great stuff.

Matt.

#800 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

I have met Del as well and as I said previously I have no issue with the guy. In my opinion though, it sounds like he may have decided to trade his dignity and the welfare of his team in order to become Helps' puppy and get a chance at becoming Chief. Listening to Darren's interview of CFAX the other day, he claims that by having funds taken out of the operating budget to fund media consultants and lawyers he was routinely asked to manage costs and the force was left at a disadvantage. Darren states that before he went to the OPCC, he brought his concerns to an unnamed 'senior officer' who confirmed that it was occurring.

Hopefully we find out more as this unwinds through the OPCC and the ADM policing. 

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users