Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#881 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

• Nparker, lanforod, thundergun and 2 others like this

#882 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:56 AM

That second tweet, coming from a reporter with Shaw's experience, is pretty interesting.

#883 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:01 AM

Here's the OPCC press release...holy shoot does it ever puts Elsner on blast.

https://opcc.bc.ca/w...ement-FINAL.pdf

And the full report here:

https://opcc.bc.ca/w...eport-FINAL.pdf

Edited by shoeflack, 26 September 2018 - 11:10 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#884 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:05 AM

The 8 misconducts:

Discipline Authority Retired Chief Judge Baird Ellan:

1. Discreditable Conduct by misleading a subordinate in connection with the disciplinary investigation: Suspension for 30 days, Demotion to rank of Constable, and Training on ethical issues.
  2. Discreditable Conduct by providing misleading information to the internal investigator: Dismissal from policing
  3. Deceit by attempting to have a witness provide a false statement to the investigator: Dismissal from policing
  4. Discreditable Conduct by engaging in conduct with the spouse of a member under his command, which constituted a breach of trust and conflict of interest: Dismissal from policing.
  5. Inappropriate use of police department equipment and facilities: Dismissal from policing.

Discipline Authority Retired Justice Ian H. Pitfield:

1. Discreditable Conduct: unwanted physical contact with female Officer A: Suspension for 30 days and required training for harassment and sensitivity (concurrent for all three matters addressed by DA Pitfield).

2. Discreditable Conduct: unwanted physical contact with female Officer B: see above, Suspension for 30 days and required training for harassment and sensitivity.

3. Discreditable Conduct: inappropriate remarks of a sexual nature toward female Officer B: see above, Suspension for 30 days and required training for harassment and sensitivity

#885 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:10 AM

Helps and Desjardins get put on blast as well...

I have reviewed the administration of the internal discipline process in this matter by the Co-Chairs, Mayors Desjardins and Helps, as Discipline Authorities. I have likewise reviewed the substantial volume of evidence gathered during the course of the external investigations described earlier. This includes reviewing the transcripts of witness interviews, including both mayors as Co-Chairs.

My concerns arising from this matter have served as the catalyst for me to formally recommend to the government amendments to the Police Act. I have recommended that when a misconduct matter involving a Chief Constable or Deputy Chief Constable requires a Discipline Authority, the Discipline Authority should be a retired judge, not a mayor.”

#886 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

If I could believe the information in the report would permanently derail the political careers of both Helps & Desjardins then the outrageous cost of the entire debacle might almost be worth it.

• rmpeers likes this

#887 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

If I could believe the information in the report would permanently derail the political careers of both Helps & Desjardins then the outrageous cost of the entire debacle might almost be worth it.

If voters will take this report as seriously as they should, it very well could. This quote from the report is absolutely damning:

I was disappointed in both the lack of cooperation and the avoidance of communication with our office by the mayors in their very important role of Discipline Authorities in this matter. A strong arguable case can be made that the mayors had predetermined the outcome of the internal discipline process from the outset, and set about navigating a course to allow the former chief to remain in his post.

One can juxtapose the outcome reached by the mayors in the internal discipline process (a letter of reprimand) and the outcomes reached by the retired judges through the police discipline process (suspension, demotion, dismissal). The difference is glaring. This gulf exposes the pitfalls associated with the inherent conflict of interest between the mayors and their relationship with the former chief.

Lowe rips the Mayors to absolute shreds.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, grantpalin and 2 others like this

#888 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Helps and Desjardins get put on blast as well...

So he's suggesting that the two mayors handled this so badly that he is recommending changing the legislation to keep mayors out of any future such matters?

Apologies, I haven't had a chance to actually look at the report yet - thanks for sharing the link, I'm off to get some popcorn.

#889 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:21 AM

So he's suggesting that the two mayors handled this so badly that he is recommending changing the legislation to keep mayors out of any future such matters?

Apologies, I haven't had a chance to actually look at the report yet - thanks for sharing the link, I'm off to get some popcorn.

This is exactly what he is suggesting.

• Love the rock, Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#890 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

Is the report suggesting that Lisa Helps would predetermine the outcome of a process from the outset? Say it isn't so!  :eek:

• A Girl is No one likes this

#891 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:42 AM

The report also underscores what a great champion of the metoo movement the mayor is. When the allegations came to light, she took decisive action: a secret disciplinary letter and public praise for the man. And a whole lot of $$.
  • Rob Randall, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#892 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:48 AM

Given election timing I think both Mayors will need to address their actions here 

#893 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

If Helps loses the election this would be the fatal blow.

Might this mean Elsner's pension would now reflect a constable's pay rather than a chief's? That would be one good way of recouping the fortune we spent on this creepy dud of a police chief.

• Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#894 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

At least some can now say without reservation that Helps left her mark on the province.

I suppose Helps is attributed more to the Elsner file just by virtue of her being the mayor presiding over the jurisdiction of the force’s name. The question now is, which co-chair directed the conversation? One of them did.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:09 PM

Given election timing I think both Mayors will need to address their actions here 

they will both just say they did not have the training/experience etc. and see they want to change the system thus showing that no mayors have the skills.

#896 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

they will both just say they did not have the training/experience etc. and see they want to change the system thus showing that no mayors have the skills.

A wise person knows when to ask for help. I don't think Helps can hide behind her excuse that she was only doing what counsel was advising her.

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#897 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:18 PM

I think a wise person would also have instinctively sensed that when you have a powerful man mistreating a woman, you shouldn't attempt to hush it up and give the man a gentle slap on the wrist.

#898 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:21 PM

I can't help but wonder how much of it was Helps' personal revulsion over the allegations. That the very thought of having to deal with this gross creep paralyzed her.

#899 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Just moments earlier he was sitting at her side pushing the ‘criminals are just desperate’ verbiage while turning a blind eye to rampant proliferation of illegal businesses which she supported.

Suggesting she was struck with fear or emotion and couldn’t handle the chief’s misconduct doesn’t pass muster.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#900 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

I can't help but wonder how much of it was Helps' personal revulsion over the allegations. That the very thought of having to deal with this gross creep paralyzed her.

You'd think that would have emboldened her to have him permanently removed. Of course Elsner wasn't a statue of a man who had been dead for 125 years.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users