Photo

Victoria Police Chief Frank Elsner Investigated for inappropriate Twitter exchanges with wife of officer

• Please log in to reply
1327 replies to this topic

#961 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:05 PM

Speaking of CFAX I thought that finally Mark Brennae had found his spine in the way he approached this story early in the week, only to listen today to hear him say how he felt bad for the mayors and that Helps was getting a "bum rap" because of structural issues concerning how they were ill equipped to manage the initial investigation.  In other words he flipped and is now embracing the Help's narrative that she's really a victim here.  I shouldn't be surprised, but once again, am disappointed. 

TC coverage was definitely a step up today, I suspect those running the show may have realized that they couldn't just ignore the heart of the story. 

• Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#962 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:28 AM

Lets be clear and stop mincing words. The report clearly states that Helps and Desjardins attempted to cover up the sexual assault and harassment of female members of the police force.

IF THE TWO MAYORS HAD BEEN MALE THEN THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT OF OFFICE BY THE END OF THE DAY.

I wholeheartedly agree. But that’s not what we are dealing with here. It makes me sad and very angry that because the two mayors are women, we are are seeing a spin of “they were not equipped”. That would never fly if the mayors were men.

I think we need to keep repeating the facts over and over. It is going to take time before the general public understands what happened here.
  • Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#963 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:33 AM

tc says the police board is likely to release the elsner costs next week. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2018 - 05:33 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#964 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:48 AM

I wholeheartedly agree. But that’s not what we are dealing with here. It makes me sad and very angry that because the two mayors are women, we are are seeing a spin of “they were not equipped”. That would never fly if the mayors were men.

I think we need to keep repeating the facts over and over. It is going to take time before the general public understands what happened here.

I don't think being a male or female mayor has anything to do with it. Sometimes you have to have the facts repeated over and over again before the public get's it, much like a decade of "the bridge" debates.

#965 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:51 AM

so why did she/they insist on continuing to pay him when mulligan clearly pointed out - more than once - they could have withheld his pay pending the outcome?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2018 - 05:52 AM.

• rmpeers likes this

#966 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:07 AM

Harsh criticism from a former Liberal Solicitor General, and West Vancouver police chief is being levelled at Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps and Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins.

Speaking to CFAX 1070 about the OPCC investigation into Former VicPd Chief Frank Elsner, Kash Heed, says it's clear Helps and Desjardins "deceived and misled" the Office of the Police Complaints Commission in  their investigation:

In that 2015 interview Desjardins denied there had been an inappropriate relationship, despite an internal report to the police board that concluded just the opposite.

Both mayors expressed their continued support of Elsner, and when the OPCC launched further investigations they tried to stop them, and voted to continue paying Elsner once he was suspended.

Heed says the mayor's actions have cost taxpayers a considerable amount of money. He estimates the tab is well over $1-million when Elsner's salary, and legal costs are coupled with the cost of the added investigation.

http://www.iheartrad...ublic-1.8466793

#967 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

tc says the police board is likely to release the elsner costs next week. 

Those would be the costs incurred by the police board. We know however that some costs were pushed down to the police operating budget and I am sure that the City itself likely paid for some of the legal fees. I will wait to pass final judgment but it looks to me like this is another tactic designed by Helps and Desjardins to obfuscate the truth. 

#968 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:49 AM

Ironic isn't it. For decades we have been hearing, and rightly so, that women are as capable as men. The Mayor's defense is that women are not.

#969 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

Chief Manak will be addressing the media tomorrow at 10AM regarding the Lowe report.

I see that Manak was also quoted in the TC today with the standard "we must do better" banter. 

How about this question, Del was deputy police chief while the assaults and harassment was occurring, why did he do nothing? Did he not know this was happening? Staff didn't seem to have any issues informing the union or the investigator. 

• rmpeers likes this

#970 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:21 PM

I see that Manak was also quoted in the TC today with the standard "we must do better" banter.

How about this question, Del was deputy police chief while the assaults and harassment was occurring, why did he do nothing? Did he not know this was happening? Staff didn't seem to have any issues informing the union or the investigator.

So a Deputy Chief “did” do something. It wasn’t Del.

#971 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:24 PM

look, if you believe many accounts, a team of deputies set this all up to take him down and he stepped right into their trap. how else do you think they got their hands on the twitter dms.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#972 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

look, if you believe many accounts, a team of deputies set this all up to take him down and he stepped right into their trap. how else do you think they got their hands on the twitter dms.

Well there are only two deputies. You suggesting that they forced Elsner to act inappropriately with a member of another department and harass VicPD staff?! Why would Helps then promote Del if he was the guy that "took down" her man?

Edited by spanky123, 29 September 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#973 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

no. not forced. but they knew it was a flaw they could use to set the trap. do not know members involved. but how else are dms found? unless one party or the other surrenders them or someone gets the physical phone to discover them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 September 2018 - 02:35 PM.

#974 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

Shared social media accounts.

Not exactly a big mystery. But, internet on and let's conspire.

#975 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

The suspended head of Victoria's police department says he is being targeted by a group of people who want him ousted from his position as chief constable.

In an affidavit filed in B.C. Supreme Court, Frank Elsner alleges that confidential notebooks that went missing after investigators raided his office identify those individuals who orchestrated his removal, as well as their motives.

Chief Elsner's affidavit accompanies a petition asking the court to stop investigations initiated by the province's police complaint commissioner into the police chief's conduct, citing unreasonable delays and bias on the part of the commissioner's office.

https://www.theglobe...rticle34182340/

#976 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:10 PM

I'm less interested in the supposed conspiracy against Elsner than the way the police board chairs conspired after finding out about his misdeeds.

These people might very well get reelected in a few weeks, rewarded for bad behaviour just like they rewarded Elsner.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#977 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:31 PM

I agree rmpeers. Presumably, the bulk of the damage Elsner is capable of inflicting on the region is now behind us. Re-electing Helps & Desjardins will only embolden them to be even more heinous for another 4 years.

• A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#978 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

Looks like Mayor Helps wants the police board to spend more money defending her actions to the Solicitor General. 

https://lisahelpsvic...pd-or-anywhere/

#979 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

If she has evidence that proves the OPCC report is inaccurate, presumably she will share it.

I don't find her defense credible.

#980 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:58 PM

...When people in positions of power and authority abuse the trust of the public, it can take a long time for those affected to heal...

https://lisahelpsvic...pd-or-anywhere/

I agree with Lisa's quote above and this is exactly why she should not be re-elected as mayor of Victoria. She has abused the trust of the CoV and if Victoria is to heal she cannot be allowed another 4 years in office.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users