Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#4001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

So now they're a carbon credit reseller. Excellent.

Can't sell cars, so sell hot air!  :banana:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4002 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

Campus Nissan selling 30-60 used Leafs a month.   New ones backordered to summer.

https://www.cheknews...nd-soar-549036/

hehe thats funny, I know a couple of the folks at Campus and they have a boatload of new Leafs just not on the lot. 

Also I looked at the Kona recently when we were replacing my wifes car. The Ev at $45k compared to the base at $21k leaves a lot of room to justify not buying the EV. That $24k difference covers approx 150,000km of fuel plus 4 years of servicing. The folks I spoke with said they ahve lots of interest in the Kona EV but then folks pay the premium for an AWD luxury Kona at $27k as opposed to a FWD EV Kona at $45k...it needs to be less than $35k to motivate folks

Edited by rjag, 07 April 2019 - 02:50 PM.

#4003 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

hehe thats funny, I know a couple of the folks at Campus and they have a boatload of new Leafs just not on the lot.

Also I looked at the Kona recently when we were replacing my wifes car. The Ev at $45k compared to the base at $21k leaves a lot of room to justify not buying the EV. That $24k difference covers approx 150,000km of fuel plus 4 years of servicing. The folks I spoke with said they ahve lots of interest in the Kona EV but then folks pay the premium for an AWD luxury Kona at $27k as opposed to a FWD EV Kona at $45k...it needs to be less than $35k to motivate folks

If they had a boat load of new Leafs they wouldn’t be back ordered.

I agree on the Kona. By all accounts a nice EV with a long range but too expensive. That’s the problem with having an EV version of a budget car. People will compare the two. Of course the EV will be way nicer to drive than the dreary gas version, but on the outside it’s not different so it still feels like you’re buying a budget car.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 07 April 2019 - 07:08 PM.

• rjag likes this

#4004 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

Are we sure it’s not a ploy to keep the prices as high as possible?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4005 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

If they had a boat load of new Leafs they wouldn’t be back ordered.

There may be some gamesmanship being played here to limit access means no negotiation and also they have a lot of other product that has to be moved. Used car market has way higher profit margins as well and I bet lots of new stock is being held for leasing as there is lots of margin moving the same car twice.

I bet if you went in and inquired about leasing 1 they would have 1 available if you were a solid deal. 

#4006 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

There may be some gamesmanship being played here to limit access means no negotiation and also they have a lot of other product that has to be moved. Used car market has way higher profit margins as well and I bet lots of new stock is being held for leasing as there is lots of margin moving the same car twice.

I bet if you went in and inquired about leasing 1 they would have 1 available if you were a solid deal.

Have heard the backordered thing from several places not just this story. Really doubt that they would artificially hide cars they could sell on the spot to... what exactly? Never heard of a car dealer that wanted to push out a sale.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Just thought it was interesting how successful they have been at selling electrics here. Every time I drop by to ask them how they're selling they give me a higher number.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 07 April 2019 - 08:14 PM.

• rjag likes this

#4007 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:17 PM

Here's something for you Mike to get your money back: You can join the class action lawsuit against NIO https://www.globenew...adline-NIO.html

Edited by LeoVictoria, 07 April 2019 - 08:17 PM.

#4008 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:37 PM

I am seeing between 3 and 5 NEW gen Leafs on the road every day....they have to be selling well. Boatload of old gen too.
  • rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4009 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

Here's something for you Mike to get your money back: You can join the class action lawsuit against NIO https://www.globenew...adline-NIO.html

You know, it’s sort of funny how the lawsuits are over statements the company made that are statements Tesla has also made. But I don’t think most of these shady lawyers have the moxie to take on Tesla, so they’ll go for some free advertising taking on big bad Nio.

But don’t worry. Once Nio starts selling carbon credits to other auto markers they’ll be alright!

The key with these vehicles, at this point, is to figure out which scam is the best scam and invest accordingly. Subsidies dry up, Tesla’s sales tank. No problem. Here come the carbon credits! And so on.

Know it all.

#4010 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

On a serious note, Tesla’s decline is likely to have a massive impact on all upstart EV manufacturers. Tesla might become a side business for all sorts of different things (batteries, software, technology and even carbon offset schemes) but as far as making vehicles, this might be the beginning of the end as competitors pile on with their own variants. Dozens of them.

I really, really think the $35k Model 3 was a terrible idea. Other manufacturers have already stepped up to that plate and it carries little umph for what has been a luxury auto maker. Luxury, market-leading vehicles should have been Tesla’s domain where margins are high and demand is relatively stable.

Is China now the answer for renewed interest in the brand, or will the EV credits affecting all Chinese manufacturers also trail Tesla?

Know it all.

#4011 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:49 PM

"Tesla’s decline"  :squint:

#4012 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

"Tesla’s decline" :squint:

Mike thinks electric cars are a “scam” and reducing emissions through regulations is another scam. By that measure Tesla is the lead scammer.

What’s the investing axiom? Invest in what you think is a scam?
Something like that.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 08 April 2019 - 02:26 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4013 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:44 PM

Lol. Chrysler sure reduced its emissions ...by paying Tesla.

It’s not a bad business, actually. I’d invest in that.

Know it all.

#4014 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:45 PM

Allowing other companies to 'buy' credits is a scam; ditto for allowing a partnership of a sort like the Fiat-Chrysler one. If that were NOT allowed, they'd reduce their carbon footprint a whole lot faster, or put money into government hands where it can go to funding stuff that does reduce carbon...

#4015 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

Of course it is. The mental gymnastics required to describe it as anything else is entertaining, though.

Know it all.

#4016 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:26 PM

Of course it is. The mental gymnastics required to describe it as anything else is entertaining, though.

The regulation is there to decrease average emissions of the automobile fleet to a certain level.

Whether through purchasing credits or new models, result is average emissions will meet targets.

Easiest gymnastics ever.

The targets are such that buying credits will only work temporarily. Eventually FCA will introduce EVs or die.

#4017 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:30 PM

Tesla stealing money from the big three? It just gets better! 

#4018 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:49 PM

Tesla stealing money from the big three? It just gets better!

Dood. Have you not seen the stock price?

Just razzin’. I actually think this side business stuff is far more valuable than putting cars on the road, but time will tell.

Know it all.

#4019 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

The regulation is there to decrease average emissions of the automobile fleet to a certain level.

Whether through purchasing credits or new models, result is average emissions will meet targets.

This is the stuff lol’s are made of! What else you got?

Know it all.

#4020 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

Tesla just revamped the old 'buying indulgences' from the middle ages

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users