• Please log in to reply
11502 replies to this topic

#4041 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:52 PM

Not even Uncle Sam could come to the rescue:

Ben Yang, a jeweler to the stars better known as Ben Baller, recently made a custom diamond- and ruby-encrusted Tesla ring reportedly valued at $37,000 for Elon Musk as a token of his appreciation. More recently, he found himself panicked and locked inside his Model X when it went into low-power mode and publicized the incident on social media.

- https://www.autoblog...-tesla-model-x/

Mr. Baller was trapped in his vehicle for 47 minutes while the battery had 211 miles remaining in the “tank.” Yikes.

Baller got rid of his Tesla and says it’ll be a cold day hell before he allows his children to ride in one.

Funniest part of the story is the dude is now driving a Chrysler, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4042 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

All I can say is it’s a good thing you have no influence on policy since it is clearly not something you understand.

The EU has been effectively regulating cleaner emissions from their vehicles for many years. This ain’t new.

By the way, “society” does not transition to cleaner vehicles. It takes regulatory and government actions to properly recognize the cost of externalities (e.g. carbon tax) and police big automakers (e.g. dieselgate). The free market left to its own devices will quite happily poison everyone in exchange for more profits

Anyways, now that I’m refreshed, I’ll tackle this.

Government intervention eventually leads to cronyism at worst, artificially higher prices at best (and sometimes both). If the goal of the EU is as noble as you say it is, they would never have permitted such ridiculous caveats, loopholes and corporate “outs” that hilariously exist for companies to game the system.

But then that’s by design, isn’t it? The role of government, when it comes to populist policy and regulation, is to firmly plant itself in the middle of transactions and make companies responsible to their whims, and not those of their customers. Lobbying, therefore, suddenly becomes an industry in and of itself as a protective measure against the policy, and a buffer between the threat of fines and the expectations of consumers. That’s why lobbying is such big business now, and the increasing need for lobbying is literally the government’s insurance policy against being left out of the supply-demand equation which is the simplest, purest and most efficient way of enacting change (think back to the early 2000’s spike in oil prices where consumers demanded ultra efficient vehicles, and the market provided them).

The proof of the silliness that so often tags along with populist policies is even playing out in our back yard, where the NDP’s 25% increase in the carbon tax is now up against rapidly rising gas prices. This has concerned the Premier to the point where he might introduce gas rebates. Tax meet rebate. D’oh!

Our society is over governed and over regulated. And what has that accomplished other than pad the coffers of government and its legions of dependents? Not a hell of a lot, when Fiat can call up Elon Musk and negotiate a deal to circumvent billions in emissions “fines.”

Ultimately the above will fall on deaf ears before someone who wants more government, depends on government and feels lost without government. Regulation, policy, rules and limits yield comfort and security for some, unnecessary overreach and restrictions for others.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4043 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

I have no doubt that there are companies that put profits above all else, they don't tend to last long however. These days any company must be responsive to its customers and most customers are not afraid to call out a company that acts unethically or against the best interests of society. 

Usually Government creates regulations as it become politically expedient to do so and long after broader society has voted with its wallets.

#4044 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

And thus we have huge incentives for wealthy people to buy new electric vehicles in the name of saving the environment (big corporations get a pat on the back; big government appears to be saving the world), while lower income individuals continue to drive old inefficient clunkers with atrocious gas mileage, leaks and outdated safety systems.

Know it all.

#4045 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:59 AM

Jeepers, Stats Can is reporting today that regulations have forced the price of cannabis up by 17%, lol.

Know it all.

#4046 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

Are these subsidies bad it because your bet on NIO is faltering partly due to the subsidies not going in their favour? 

"Nio gave up the plan to build its factory after the central government released regulations limiting the number of such facilities to curb the risk of overcapacity in a sector that has grown rapidly under generous government subsidies that are now being rolled back. As work began on Tesla’s factory, it became unlikely that a second plant would be permitted in Shanghai for several years.

Nio said in the prospectus that its growth would depend heavily on the government’s subsidies for electric vehicles. Total government subsidies on the purchase of each ES8 SUV, Nio’s first volume manufactured electric vehicle, were about 74,000 yuan ($11,016) in 2018. The retail price tag before subsidies started at 448,000 yuan ($66,700).

Since early 2018, China has started to cut back on its new-energy vehicle subsidies as part of a broader plan to abolish all subsidies after 2020."

https://www.caixingl...-101401815.html

Beating NIO on their home turf even. It's gotta hurt. 

Edited by dasmo, 10 April 2019 - 09:07 AM.

#4047 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

Oh gosh. Can we stop with this Tesla vs Nio thing?

Know it all.

#4048 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:54 AM

I would say it's more on topic than cannabis regulations. But sure I'll stop if we can stop with the Tesla is dying thing...  

#4049 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

That's a valid take based on what's going on and I'm hardly the only one voicing it. But voicing it doesn't mean my only aim here is Tesla vs. Nio.

Anyways, Nio will be revealing its ET7 sedan at the Shanghai auto show this month. They released a little teaser of the design but there's not much to glean from it.

Know it all.

#4050 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:35 PM

$11.4B in US incentives for EV’s are on the radar. The monies will extend $7k in incentives for 400,000 additional vehicles for manufacturers, which will help Tesla and GM who have already surpassed their 200,000 unit full incentives. The money is also slated to extend hydrogen incentives through 2028.

Know it all.

#4051 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:34 PM

Not even Uncle Sam could come to the rescue:

- https://www.autoblog...-tesla-model-x/

Mr. Baller was trapped in his vehicle for 47 minutes while the battery had 211 miles remaining in the “tank.” Yikes.

Baller got rid of his Tesla and says it’ll be a cold day hell before he allows his children to ride in one.

Funniest part of the story is the dude is now driving a Chrysler, lol.

If he just pulled the handle further...

https://www.youtube....h?v=01lXcD_Uz74

IMO, emergency egress from a car should be standardized.  Emergency releases shouldn't be below the seat or behind a hidden panel.  If you're in a panic situation, you're not thinking rationally, much less have the time to consult the manual.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4052 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

“Pull off the speaker grill, pull on the door release, then push the door open. It’s going to present a lot of resistance.”

What the flying ‘duck.’ That’s absurd.

Know it all.

#4053 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,877 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:47 PM

B.C. introduces law to require cars, trucks sold by 2040 be zero emission

The legislation would apply to new vehicles for sale or lease

https://www.vicnews....-zero-emission/

#4054 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:45 AM

Looks like those US incentives are sorely needed. Panasonic has pulled out of a plan to expand battery production capacity for Tesla vehicles due to lacklustre sales and demand.

Know it all.

#4055 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

If he just pulled the handle further...

https://www.youtube....h?v=01lXcD_Uz74

IMO, emergency egress from a car should be standardized.  Emergency releases shouldn't be below the seat or behind a hidden panel.  If you're in a panic situation, you're not thinking rationally, much less have the time to consult the manual.

Something doesn't add up here.  The Lord Of the Rings was in the front seat of a Model X.  The "trick" for that model is to pull the release all the way.  Isn't that the first thing someone would do in a panic - pull harder?

I'm not defending Telsa's geewhizardry with respect to ingress/egress but this smells of AW which is unfortunately not nearly as pleasant as A&W.

#4056 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 11:28 AM

After announcing Tesla vehicles would only be available for purchase online, Musk walked back the idea just days later. Now he’s pulled the plug on being able to order the $35k Model 3 online, after launching the Model 3 as an online-only vehicle a month ago.

Meanwhile the company has fumbled the pricing of its auto pilot addons, changing the prices multiple times over the span of a month with the latest change dropping this weekend.

Even the nerds at Wired at getting pissed off: https://www.wired.co...osing-patience/

Know it all.

#4057 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:09 PM

The WSJ reports the $42,000 average price of an electric car is $8,000 more than the average price of a new car and $22,000 more than the average price of a new small gas powered car.

Pacific Research Institute has found that 79% of electric vehicle tax credits were collected by households with adjusted gross incomes of $100,000 or more.

Less than 1% of households earning less than $50,000 collected a credit.

Households earning more than $200,000 received the most from the tax credit.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4058 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:40 AM

Got an email from Tesla the other day inviting me to test drive the 3. I emailed him back and thanked him for replying to my enquires from last December ..... I asked him where in Victoria I could drive 1 and he replied that I could come to Park Royal in Vancouver in the last week of April or anytime in May to drive a 3.... so let me get this right, I contacted you last December to express an interest and wanting more info, you take 4 months to get back to me and then say I could make an appointment for 2-3 weeks from now and spend a day travelling and a few hundred $ so that I can have an opportunity to try your vehicles? This isn’t a Lamborghini and you aren’t bespoke.... that game might work on acolytes but not the average person.... no wonder Leafs are the predominant vehicle
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4059 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

an appointment for 2-3 weeks from now and spend a day travelling and a few hundred $ so that I can have an opportunity to try your vehicles? This isn’t a Lamborghini and you aren’t bespoke....

Eh... when I had my 2003 Subaru I got an invite for a ride and drive event over at Boundary Bay airport. 3 hrs on the ferry for all of 20 minutes in one of the newly designed cars. Ordered one the next day. I suppose those sorts of stunts work on some of us :P
  • Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4060 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:11 PM

Eh... when I had my 2003 Subaru I got an invite for a ride and drive event over at Boundary Bay airport. 3 hrs on the ferry for all of 20 minutes in one of the newly designed cars. Ordered one the next day. I suppose those sorts of stunts work on some of us :P

that game might work on acolytes but not the average person....

And it did.  ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

NaCl