• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#4181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

What do we make of this:

Provision of 5 free publicly available EV car chargers and parking spaces within the Pacific House building. The electricity needed for these chargers will be supplied by solar modules that will be installed and incorporated at Pacific House, and the subject of a legal agreement with the Township. This will provide 45,000 Kilometers of free no- emissions driving for the residents of the Township of Esquimalt; and help the Township reach its public EV charger requirements with zero cost to the Township;

I assume that's 45k km per annum, but can you actually supply power to five vehicles via solar panels?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4182 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

maybe if they actually sell all the generated power back to the grid. then draw from the grid as needed to charge.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2019 - 06:56 AM.

#4183 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:02 AM

Ah ok that might be it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4184 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

What do we make of this:

I assume that's 45k km per annum, but can you actually supply power to five vehicles via solar panels?

my 14 panels produced 5.77MWh in 2018 but at a rate of about 4kWh at maximum - not enough to charge one car at a time but...

total yearly output could charge my egolf about 165 times

that would push my car about 35,000 km based on actual use, not epa estimates

so it must be calculated on a grid-tie basis

they must be installing around 20 panels if they are expecting 45,000 charge kms.

#4185 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

... https://vegnews.com/...ew-electric-suv ...

...that's right VW evehicles will have vegan leather interiors... 

https://www.applenin....com/apple-peel

#4186 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

They sell "vegan leather" items on the Ferries (purses, wallets) and it sure looks and feels like leather.  I don't think it's AppleSkin™.

Not sure about the labelling though - isn't anything not made from animals considered vegan?  Like vegan bricks or vegan tires?

#4187 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

NIO Trading volume swelled to 33.0 million shares enough to make it the NYSE's most active stock today!

#4188 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

Not sure about the labelling though - isn't anything not made from animals considered vegan?  Like vegan bricks or vegan tires?

Tires are made using stearic acid, which can come from plants or animals. Michelin tires are vegan but other brands might not be.

#4189 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

It's entirely an exercise in branding. "Synthetic Leather" and "Pleather" do not have the same upmarket appeal that "Vegan Leather" has. 

#4190 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

"Fine Corinthian Pleather"?

#4191 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Tires are made using stearic acid, which can come from plants or animals. Michelin tires are vegan but other brands might not be.

Say what?? Never thought there'd be a day when tires would be considered vegan.

Know it all.

#4192 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

It's very hard to buy a stock vegan luxury car. The steering wheel is usually the deal breaker.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#4193 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

https://www.nytimes....WAJymO10WEbAFLg

So, where does this leave Tesla now? The company has a long history of disappointing Wall Street and falling short of its own forecasts, but investors have mostly been forgiving, mainly because a large number of them believed in Mr. Musk’s vision.

But if Tesla continues to fall short of its promises, the current skepticism may only grow, and the next time Tesla needs money, Wall Street may be less understanding.

#4194 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:12 PM

Say what?? Never thought there'd be a day when tires would be considered vegan.

And I never thought there'd be a day when tires would be considered not vegan.  The more you know... 🤔

#4195 LJ

LJ
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

You mean they don't use rubber trees anymore?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4196 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:27 AM

The free ride is about to end.

The BC Utilities Commission is moving towards implementing a paid charging network throughout the province. There is also a review happening of incentives which are likely to be scaled back as a result of the overall uptake of EV’s in the province.

I wonder when environmentalists will catch on to the destructive practices of mining the rare earth minerals for EV batteries?

Know it all.

#4197 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

^ EV incentives have already been scaled back. The $5,000 rebate dropped to $3,000, and the max price dropped to $55,000 to be consistent with the federal program

#4198 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

The free ride is about to end.

The BC Utilities Commission is moving towards implementing a paid charging network throughout the province. There is also a review happening of incentives which are likely to be scaled back as a result of the overall uptake of EV’s in the province.

I wonder when environmentalists will catch on to the destructive practices of mining the rare earth minerals for EV batteries?

It was only a matter of time. At $.35 to $.40+ a kwh it will likely start changing some behaviours and economic decisions as well.

#4199 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

And the rates won’t be capped, the BCUC says. So re-sellers can change whatever they want, when they want.

Know it all.

#4200 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

I believe I had previously mentioned an equilibrium...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)