Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11433 replies to this topic

#4201 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

And the rates won’t be capped, the BCUC says. So re-sellers can change whatever they want, when they want.

That guy in Spuzzem with the charging station is going to get very wealthy.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4202 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:34 PM

Ooh, maybe we will have electric price wars with one vendor continually undercutting his rival.

Edited by LJ, 25 June 2019 - 07:34 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4203 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

funny listening to them talking about the success of the sales. Apparently increasing from 4% of new vehicle sales to 6% is a roaring success and all it took was loads of taxpayer funded rebates.

https://www150.statc...kMembers[3]=5.1

so out of 19,000 cars sold in BC in April 1,200 were EV's. Based on 3.5 million cars in BC they want 1.1 million on the road by 2030. Thats 11 years. Based on 1200/month with big rebates now cancelled thats only 76 years to achieve that target. 

So either they ramp up the incentives again or the manufacturers figure out a way to make them 20-30% cheaper than equivalent ICE cars

#4204 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

So either they ramp up the incentives again or the manufacturers figure out a way to make them 20-30% cheaper than equivalent ICE cars

They don't need to be cheaper than ICE cars* - price parity would do wonders.  I know we can't hand-wave the technology cheaper, but the inexorable march of time will do that.

* Regular Joe cars, not "luxury" models.

• rjag likes this

#4205 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

They don't need to be cheaper than ICE cars* - price parity would do wonders.  I know we can't hand-wave the technology cheaper, but the inexorable march of time will do that.

* Regular Joe cars, not "luxury" models.

There needs to be a compelling reason and range, charge times, access to charging and of course price are all challenges that need to be overcome. 

The ROI has to make sense. Heck a base ICE Hyundai Kona and the EV equivalent the ROI doesnt work until after 150,000km of ownership and that captures maintenance and indexed fuel costs

#4206 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

There needs to be a compelling reason and range, charge times, access to charging and of course price are all challenges that need to be overcome. 

The ROI has to make sense. Heck a base ICE Hyundai Kona and the EV equivalent the ROI doesnt work until after 150,000km of ownership and that captures maintenance and indexed fuel costs

ROI needs to include psychological factors.  People do value EVs partly because they feel better about them, and car sales certainly is a game of emotions.

• rjag likes this

#4207 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

Electric pick up trucks and commercial vehicles will make a difference
  • rjag and DustMagnet like this

#4208 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

ROI needs to include psychological factors.  People do value EVs partly because they feel better about them, and car sales certainly is a game of emotions.

totally agree, you wouldnt catch me buying a Chrysler product etc and emotions and experience play a major factor. 

#4209 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

Speaking of psychology, I'm very interested to see what kind up uptake EV pick-ups will have.

#4210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:45 AM

Reading through some of the social media comments on the upcoming pay-to-charge regime that will soon be rolled out in BC has me wondering if many EV purchasers were sold on the idea that charging would remain free for quite a while, and that incentives were here to stay (for a year or two, at least).

Others are welcoming the idea as they say access to chargers can be difficult in popular areas, and that charging-for-charging (haha!) is likely to push some of these individuals to give up the few bucks in savings and just plug in at home.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4211 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

Speaking of psychology, I'm very interested to see what kind up uptake EV pick-ups will have.

If someone brought out a good pick-up product with 400 km of range in the $80-100k price range that is my next ride.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4212 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

Range is ridiculously overrated imo. When I bought my Tesla four years ago, I went with the smallest battery and I've had range anxiety once in 135,000 km on a trip in the US. Wouldn't happen today as Tesla has installed a supercharger where I ended up with the anxiety :) 

I think 250 km to 350 km is a sweet spot for range for 95% of people. Not sure what the point of anything over 500 km is...who wants to drive for 5 hours in one haul? Even in ICE cars I like to stop every 3-4 hours and with the right infrastructure you can supercharge while you stretch your legs. 

• tedward and nagel like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4213 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Reading through some of the social media comments on the upcoming pay-to-charge regime that will soon be rolled out in BC has me wondering if many EV purchasers were sold on the idea that charging would remain free for quite a while, and that incentives were here to stay (for a year or two, at least).

Others are welcoming the idea as they say access to chargers can be difficult in popular areas, and that charging-for-charging (haha!) is likely to push some of these individuals to give up the few bucks in savings and just plug in at home.

Same thing is going to happen when single occupant EVs are kicked out of the HOV lane

#4214 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:06 AM

Chevrolet unveiled the first mid-engine Corvette at an event in California on Thursday night. The change intended to take the all-American sports car to the next level of performance so it can compete with the world’s best on equal footing.

The Corvette has had its engine up front through seven generations, ever since the first one hit the road in 1953. Previous attempts to swap ends were met with resistance because they were deemed to complex, expensive and odd for the car’s audience.

https://www.foxnews....n-bargain-price
  • rjag likes this

#4215 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

Chevrolet unveiled the first mid-engine Corvette at an event in California on Thursday night.

Well, it's not electric nor autonomous but the geo-tagging of places where it needs to automatically lift its skirt is neat.

Edited by DustMagnet, 19 July 2019 - 08:35 AM.

#4216 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

If someone brought out a good pick-up product with 400 km of range in the $80-100k price range that is my next ride.

This is how you impress the Truck Bros*: https://electrek.co/...ow-train-carts/

You can pull trains with electric motors!  They should incorporate that into locomotives.

Could you still hassle a Tesla in a truck like that?  Sadly, probably yes.

A pickup truck driver who seemingly hates Tesla got caught and charged for harassing a Model 3 owner thanks to TeslaCam, Tesla’s onboard dashcam feature utilizing Autopilot camera.

* The depicted bros anyway.

#4217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

Thank goodness we've achieved that.

Now back to this guy:

man train.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4218 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

^ Yeah, yeah, but what's his range?

#4219 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

^ Yeah, yeah, but what's his range?

Probably baritone? I doubt he's a tenor, personally.

• DustMagnet likes this

#4220 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:12 PM

Tesla earnings tomorrow!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)