Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11499 replies to this topic

#4241 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:03 AM

But TBH, hanging around a gas station for 20 minutes is not a particularly good use of anyone's time.

mmmm gas station sushi...

#4242 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:13 AM

It's not a bad strategy. But TBH, hanging around a gas station for 20 minutes is not a particularly good use of anyone's time.

The charger could be inside the car wash. Buy a car wash, get 10 minutes free charging.

Or while you get your oil changed.

Hang on, let me rethink that last one.

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#4243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

i'm not so sure.  these retailers make more money selling junk food than gas so you get a customer there for 20 minutes you can sell them gourmet coffee and more.  arm the kiosk with wifi too and you can just watch an episode of "the office" in your car while you charge up and sip your coffee.

I'm not sold on the idea that a $75k Tesla owner will be hot to trot for gas station brand gourmet coffee, but we'll see, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4244 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

tim hortons is in lots of gas stations they do well.  maybe starbucks can too.

#4245 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:37 AM

Best gas station coffee is the van Houtte at Chevron, everyone knows that.

Matt.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4246 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

The best example would be to look at Norway.  Electric charging stations are putting in better food and lounges for people to occupy their time.

#4247 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

The best example would be to look at Norway.  Electric charging stations are putting in better food and lounges for people to occupy their time.

well it depends where they are right?  yes if they are along a highway then traditional gas stations make sense.  but so does having one at the denny's at the highway exit and at the roadside attraction or rest stop.  then in town it should be at the grocery store - or mall like they are now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 10:55 AM.

#4248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

So what happens when 20 of the 25 cars parked at Denny’s want to make use of their two available chargers?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4249 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

So what happens when 20 of the 25 cars parked at Denny’s want to make use of their two available chargers?

well i suppose it's like when cars first came out it was hard to find a gas station.  but now we have analytics that are 10000x better and faster so we'll adjust quick.  plus it's relatively easy to throw up a charge thing compared to a gas station.  in short that denny's might have 20 chargers before you even notice.  when cellphones first became popular there were few outlets to buy them.  now you trip over them everywhere.  and you know every 7-11 or london drugs has a wide variety of chargers for it.  every pub or restaurant has wifi was not like that 15 years ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#4250 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:18 AM

It'll be like Wall-E - we can all sit around fattening up while our autonomous cars charge for 40 minutes, then get back in and finish drinking our 60oz fizzy drinks as it does all the driving. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

well i suppose it's like when cars first came out it was hard to find a gas station. but now we have analytics that are 10000x better and faster so we'll adjust quick. plus it's relatively easy to throw up a charge thing compared to a gas station. in short that denny's might have 20 chargers before you even notice. when cellphones first became popular there were few outlets to buy them. now you trip over them everywhere. and you know every 7-11 or london drugs has a wide variety of chargers for it. every pub or restaurant has wifi was not like that 15 years ago.

I think the power demands of a vehicle charger are a little more involved than a USB plugin.

Know it all.

#4252 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

I think the power demands of a vehicle charger are a little more involved than a USB plugin.

they are much less demanding than any commercial build or renovation.  so if you said you needed 5000 in victoria by the end of the year you'd have them.  barring some government regulations that slows you.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 11:39 AM.

#4253 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

What I mean is the infrastructure required to properly charge 20 vehicles is not a simple project. You need some serious juice to do anything more than a trickle charge, I think.

Know it all.

#4254 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

good thing site c is coming along then.

#4255 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

free this fall but nothing i've yet read except they will "charge by time" after that.  imagine a time when we see the price for unleaded gas on the big gas station signs plus the cost for an electric charge.  i imagine they will be able to sell all kinds of inclusive plans too ie. monthly or yearly unlimited etc. 

You mean like the unlimited yearly plan they offer for gas?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4256 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

You mean like the unlimited yearly plan they offer for gas?

no.  because that would be abused too easily (you could fill up and then pump it out and go back).  but with electric and especially electronic cars it can be monitored well.  so it's like your "unlimited" internet at home.  even though it's unlimited for normal users if you set up a bitcoin farm using your shaw at home connection you do not qualify.   or you might say it's like your $85 transit pass.   or bottomless soup at the restaurant or your bottomless sides at red robins.  or your gym membership.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 12:10 PM.

#4257 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:11 PM

^Well then you just take buddy's car in and charge it up on your card.

Ain't gonna happen.

#4258 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

^Well then you just take buddy's car in and charge it up on your card.

Ain't gonna happen.

nope.  your car has its own transponder.  believe it or not if you make it affordable and easy it'll work.  see spotify.  or netflix.  you could give your log-on for those to others and people do but the actuaries have ways to see through that.  

a lot of people do the equal payment plan for home hydro.  this is similar but no top-up/down at the end of the year.  now you might get a new quote each year - ai will set that just right - but you'll be happy to pay the monthly fee rather than uncertain billing.  remember most of us pay a monthly all-in fee for our cellphones when we could pay as you go for every single minute of talk. every text. every bit of data.  people don't want that they like a fixed plan.  really.

and these car charge plans will be a lot closer to your cell or cable bill than they are to your current monthly gasoline bill.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 12:22 PM.

#4259 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

^The equal payment plan is an estimate, you pay for every KWH you use.

#4260 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

ya i know.  i added to me explanation.  it's coming believe you me.  consumers demand it.  look how cell carriers just abandoned overdata charges because consumers hated it.  they'll soon hate pay-as-you-go car electricity in the same way.  and 95% will switch to the set plan.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2019 - 12:26 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users