• Please log in to reply
11541 replies to this topic

#4701 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

Surprised no one posted this -> https://www.motor1.c...taycan-blew-up/

Concerning as don't know if Porsche even has 1,000 of these on the road. At least with Tesla you are looking at 1 million cars on the road within the next two months.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:57 AM

Holy smokes ...literally  :eek:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4703 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

Thoughts on the 2020 Prius Prime plug in?

Matt.

#4704 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:23 PM

Thoughts on the 2020 Prius Prime plug in?

Matt.

I'd wait for the RAV4 plug in hybrid.   Substantially more EV range, and more practical shape, while being less goofy looking.  Also 0-100km/h in 5.8s is nothing to sneeze at.   Of course it'll likely cost about $10k more. 

For the Prius sized car, I'd just go straight electric.  Hyundai Ioniq for example.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 18 February 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• rjag likes this

#4705 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

yup, my wife is interested in the RAV hybrid. She loves her '19 CRV and would jump at a CRV Hybrid except Honda said they arent bringing CRV Hybrids to Canada. So likely in 1-2 years we will look at the Toyota

#4706 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

Pretty unlikely we'd ever see a Hyundai in our driveway.

When do we expect the plug in Rav 4?  The Prius Prime has great range.  We have a minivan for moving anything larger or 7 people, etc.

Matt.

#4707 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

Pretty unlikely we'd ever see a Hyundai in our driveway.

When do we expect the plug in Rav 4?  The Prius Prime has great range.  We have a minivan for moving anything larger or 7 people, etc.

Matt.

Plug in RAV this year as a 2021 model.  However they will be inventory constrained, so would have to order one immediately to get one.  

Great range is debatable. Prius Prime is about 40km EV-only range, perhaps 30 in the winter.      In comparison the RAV should be about 70km EV-only range, and something like the Chevy Volt does/did 85km.    I guess it's a step up from the ~25km you get from the BMW/Volvo plug-ins.  

Prius is fine and will be very reliable, I was just never convinced by the looks or the uninspired driving characteristics / engine.  The Prius just won best hybrid again in CR rankings.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 February 2020 - 12:42 PM.

#4708 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

Consumer Reports has ranked Tesla Model 3 as the best electric car, and Tesla as the top US automaker (#11th overall).  https://www.consumer...top-picks-2020/

#4709 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:18 PM

Yes, a test drive will tell all. Happy enough with the current Prius C, but something with more range and a little more pep would be nice - not ready to go full Tesla yet!

Matt.

#4710 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Surprised no one posted this -> https://www.motor1.c...taycan-blew-up/

Concerning as don't know if Porsche even has 1,000 of these on the road. At least with Tesla you are looking at 1 million cars on the road within the next two months.

Is the Taycan really even a porsche?  A giant, heavy, 4 door, battery powered monstrosity.  Its a porsche in name only IMO

• m3m likes this

#4711 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

Is the Taycan really even a porsche?  A giant, heavy, 4 door, battery powered monstrosity.  Its a porsche in name only IMO

I'll let you know in a week....

#4712 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

Reviews are fantastic for it.   Many are saying it's the best Porsche...    Like any other EV, if you haven't driven one it's kind of hard to see why.     

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 February 2020 - 03:23 PM.

#4713 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

Reviews are fantastic for it.   Many are saying it's the best Porsche...    Like any other EV, if you haven't driven one it's kind of hard to see why.     

I have nothing against EV's and I would say the same thing about the Porsche SUVs.  I just think of a Porsche as a small 2 door sports car.  The Taycan is more like an Audi 

#4714 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:30 PM

Driving dynamics are top notch....it's just everything else that is a disappointment such as range, charging network, price, one already blowing up inside a garage.

I am hoping for an electric Macan under 100k with 500 km worth of range before yr 2025. That is something I would consider.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4715 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:16 PM

I have nothing against EV's and I would say the same thing about the Porsche SUVs.  I just think of a Porsche as a small 2 door sports car.  The Taycan is more like an Audi

Porsche has branched out a lot in the last couple decades. The majority of their sales are no longer small 2 door sports cars.

Driving dynamics are top notch....it's just everything else that is a disappointment such as range, charging network, price, one already blowing up inside a garage.

I am hoping for an electric Macan under 100k with 500 km worth of range before yr 2025. That is something I would consider.

Much of the range issue seems to have been overblown. Seems like they got an overly pessimistic rating from the EPA that they can easily exceed. Modern Tesla has more range but the Taycan likely has about the same range as your P85 real world.    Price is stupid though and in car software kind of crap.   

Macan is their next electric model.   Coming 2021 apparently but likely the first models will start at well over $100k CAD

https://www.autocar....atform-and-tech

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 February 2020 - 06:27 PM.

#4716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:17 AM

https://www.canoo.com/about/

some kind of electric car subscription service is making waves from los angeles.

#4717 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:47 AM

https://www.canoo.com/about/

some kind of electric car subscription service is making waves from los angeles.

Apparently Hyundai has a deal with Canoo to provide the EV platform for their next gen compact cars.   

Edited by LeoVictoria, 22 February 2020 - 08:47 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

Nio is supposedly in talks with a Chinese city in which it plans to build a factory.

Leo, do you think Nio will eventually push into the US/European markets?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4719 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Nio is supposedly in talks with a Chinese city in which it plans to build a factory.

Leo, do you think Nio will eventually push into the US/European markets?

They’ve said that was always their intent but I can’t see it happening before 2022. Now they are getting their new funding in line and a factory in China perhaps. Then they would need to raise more cash (or stop losing money) to build a factory in North America. They could ship cars straight here but I think that will be a difficult sell to consumers and if Trump is still in power likely will be met with high tariffs.

Also they are going for the high end in China and I don’t think that will translate. By 2022 all the automakers will have compelling electric models and I don’t think anyone will buy from an unknown Chinese brand unless it’s cheap.

If there’s a Chinese company that I think has potential it’s BYD. They already have factories here for electric busses. I bet they will bring one of their EVs over here at some point and attack the low end. Made in California, company has a history, and isn’t as cash strapped. I think Warren Buffett made a big bet on them
  • Mike K. likes this

#4720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

Does BYD make our local Chinese-designed transit buses?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users