Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11541 replies to this topic

#4801 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

...of course, I'm talking about the rest of the world where they don't have hydroelectric.

What sort of range does one get charging exclusively from a few solar panels on the roof? 

...today my panels generated enough to send me 180 km in my 2017 egolf...my daily avg of 15 kWh equates to 100km per day (based on 32.5 months of data)

...panels are getting cheaper...range/technology is getting better...

• Rob Randall likes this

#4802 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:07 AM

That's not bad for the city.  I suppose eventually not paying for gas will offset the cost of the house to put the panels on.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4803 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:13 AM

...today my panels generated enough to send me 180 km in my 2017 egolf...my daily avg of 15 kWh equates to 100km per day (based on 32.5 months of data)

...panels are getting cheaper...range/technology is getting better...

Very interested in what you have set up. You are obviously experienced in this so please enlighten on the forum or PM me

Thanks

David

#4804 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:17 AM

Stock is down 40% from the peak, mostly due to covid.  That's not nothing. 

Q1 deliveries beat estimates and Model Y is well received.  Giga shanghai seems to be churning out vehicles at a good pace.

Bad time for Tesla, but even if they ran short of cash I don't doubt they can raise more.  The other American automakers may be in worse trouble.

Stock is up almost 300% from last year when they were producing the Model 3 and the ramp was looking good and everyone knew what the Model Y was going to look like. Everyone knew they were building a factory in China.

Right now they are producing nothing (other than China factory), burning cash, demand will slump for sure and it's still up 300%. I just don't get it.

The $900+ peak was non-sense in my opinion.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:13 AM

Tesla CEO Elon Musk thinks the company’s stock price has gotten out of control.

Shares of the Palo Alto, California-based electric-car maker had soared 87 percent this year through Thursday, dramatically outperforming the benchmark S&P 500. Tesla’s market capitalization was about $140 billion before selling off on Friday.

https://www.foxbusin...e-too-high-musk

#4806 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

Saw a Model Y today on Shelbourne.....damn that is one nice car! Looks way better than photos. Once they bring out the short range version I bet it outsells the other three cars in their line-up combined by a wide margin. 

#4807 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:28 PM

Saw a Model Y today on Shelbourne.....damn that is one nice car! Looks way better than photos. Once they bring out the short range version I bet it outsells the other three cars in their line-up combined by a wide margin. 

Maybe.  If they can bring it under the incentive threshold.  Hard to argue with $8000 in free money for the Model 3.  No wonder there a million of them in town.

I thought the RAV4 Prime would mount some competition, but they are building only 5000 for all of North America.  Laughable.  Toyota royally screwed the pooch.  If Ford can produce their Escape PHEV they will eat their lunch.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 01 July 2020 - 08:29 PM.

#4808 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

Maybe.  If they can bring it under the incentive threshold.  Hard to argue with $8000 in free money for the Model 3.  No wonder there a million of them in town.

I thought the RAV4 Prime would mount some competition, but they are building only 5000 for all of North America.  Laughable.  Toyota royally screwed the pooch.  If Ford can produce their Escape PHEV they will eat their lunch.

I was thinking more along the lines of best seller for the company, not B.C. Not all places will have incentives on the Model 3, but not on the Model Y. 

#4809 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

Tesla over $1,200 a share.....wtf. I know their cars are 2-3 years ahead of the competition but how is Tesla worth more than Toyota. 

#4810 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:14 AM

Tesla over $1,200 a share.....wtf. I know their cars are 2-3 years ahead of the competition but how is Tesla worth more than Toyota. 

r/wallstreetbets

#4811 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

And how in the world is Nikola valued at $20 billion?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4812 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

And how in the world is Nikola valued at $20 billion?

r/wallstreetbets

#4813 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

Shoulda bought when I told you!

Irrational exuberance is strong everywhere right now.   Too much money chasing too few returns.

#4814 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:24 AM

Saanich council is giving a boost to its support for electric vehicles with a plan to require charging units in all new multi-family homes built in the municipality.

Saanich Mayor Fred Haynes said the change would involve updating an existing bylaw and will go to a public hearing for community input. He said Saanich is “ahead of the pack” when it comes to local municipalities enabling use of EVs.

https://www.timescol...omes-1.24167410

what's the rationale for installing at multi-family housing but not sfds?

#4815 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:32 AM

Isn’t Victoria doing the same thing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4816 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:34 AM

what's the rationale for installing at multi-family housing but not sfds?

The owners of a SFD can install one at any time they want.  The owners of a unit at a multi-family unit likely need to deal with strata to get such approvals and the charger is likely to be installed on common property rather than within the strata lot. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 11:46 AM

It’s just the wiring at multi-unit buildings, isn’t it?

Know it all.

#4818 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:53 PM

Isn’t Victoria doing the same thing?

Victoria adopted their Bylaw change last month I think? Sidney adopted theirs in 2017.

• Mike K. likes this

#4819 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

Yup, I posted it in another thread

Victoria has finally caught up! Council today adopted bylaws requiring the provision of EV charging in all new development. 100% of residential parking spaces and 5% of all other spaces.

The staff report and copies of the bylaws are online: https://pub-victoria...English&Item=17

#4820 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Nissan Ariya unveiled today, Electric cross over. They also updated their logo

https://techcrunch.c...riya-crossover/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Victoria Watcher