Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11426 replies to this topic

#4821 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,302 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

musk says he’s building his next gogafactory in Texas.

#4822 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:28 AM

#4823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:30 AM

Dasmo is a gazillionaire now!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4824 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:28 PM

Victoria adopted their Bylaw change last month I think? Sidney adopted theirs in 2017.

OK I was mistaken, Victoria adopted the bylaw changes at the last public hearing on July 23. None opposed.

#4825 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 02:22 AM

That difference is expressed in today’s high market cap of Tesla [TSLA] despite still low vehicle delivery volumes. The incremental value Tesla creates per vehicle for its customers is higher compared to any other competitor, and that is critically important for a successful business. If customers get a better deal financially, why should they ever buy again from the competition?! The business case Tesla offers to its customers is worth some tens of thousands or up to hundreds of thousands of dollars per car over 10 years, and no one can compete with that.

Tesla is the only automaker worldwide that continuously improves the vehicles it has sold, and for free. Compare this to all other companies that sell you, again and again, a new model with slight changes for a premium price. With a well-thought-through set of hardware, a Tesla vehicle can continue to improve with over-the-air software updates almost endlessly. Minor hardware adjustments are silently included when ready but not even advertised. The newest Autopilot computer is also a good example of adjustments in older vehicles that are free of charge to keep your car up to date. 

https://cleantechnic...ot-seen-before/

#4826 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:35 AM

It’s easy to be all of that when you’ve got a literal trickle of vehicles on the roads. It’s a lot harder to be all of that when you’ve got a hundred automobile plants, sell millions of various vehicles annually based on different platforms and for different industries, and need to make them as affordable and competitive as possible to maintain market share, globally.

Tesla is still in its rosy stage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4827 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Tesla sort of fudges it's mileage claims..

https://autos.yahoo....gZcnhgYSfyjX_lN

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4828 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

I've done a few road trips through BC this summer with the smallest battery back available 5 years ago (the cheapest model 3 available right now has 40 km more range than my car) and there is still no manufacture that offers the range/charging infrastructure that is even close for such roadtrips. 200k Taycan you can't even make it to Tofino. Even if the numbers are fudged a bit the real world practical application of the cars is second to none.

At some point the whole range thing is a dumb point....who wants to drive in excess of 5 hours at a time without a break?

As far as the stock price, ha ha, wtf. Biggest bubble in history? I have a friend in Victoria that has made over $2 million on the stock.

Edited by MarkoJ, 02 September 2020 - 07:27 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4829 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,236 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:28 AM

Lots of folks do. Usually there is a break or two in a long driving day (eg a 10 hr+ driving day), but those are short. 15 minutes for gas and bathroom, snacks. That's not enough time to charge.

#4830 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

Dasmo is a gazillionaire now!

I wish. Sold it all at $780 to prepare for impact earlier in the year. I'm self employed and have a mortgage to pay. I didn't expect the world to materialize trillions of dollars/digits out of nowhere. So now we have the crazy computer controlled market flaming it's way up. Oh well, I only quadrupled my investment . No way I can stomach buying back in with a P/E of over 1000. 

• rjag, Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

#4831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Hey, that's a decent run my man. You outsmarted the beast four-fold. Good work.

Know it all.

#4832 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

Hey, that's a decent run my man. You outsmarted the beast four-fold. Good work.

Ya, I ain't complaining. I was thinking of reshuffling into safer dividend stocks anyway. Those are still on sale since they don't interest the kids on robinhood and the algorithms don't need to purchase them to fulfil the popular tech ETFs. Plus I sold Tesla over Apple so I'm still in decent shape. 

I see NIO is having a run now too so you might have your retribution yet! 

#4833 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

Oh yeah, I sold out. Could I have made more? Yes. But I was happy with the return.

My goal now is to accumulate cash to have on hand should there be a market pull back this fall, be it election related or COVID-related, or both.

Know it all.

#4834 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

Lots of folks do. Usually there is a break or two in a long driving day (eg a 10 hr+ driving day), but those are short. 15 minutes for gas and bathroom, snacks. That's not enough time to charge.

So in 10 hr+ driving day you aren't going to eat a proper sit down meal? 

You can charge a model 3 from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes. 15 minutes is not that far off.

#4835 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:50 PM

So in 10 hr+ driving day you aren't going to eat a proper sit down meal? 

You can charge a model 3 from 10% to 80% in 30 minutes. 15 minutes is not that far off.

Back in my roadtripping days of Victoria to Edmonton in a day - no.  I mean, I might have stopped in Jasper for 30 minutes but it was pretty much solid driving.  $250 or so in gas?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4836 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:18 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who would take the amazing opportunity of driving a luxury car across this amazing country only to squander it by white-knuckling it non-stop along the highway all day with only a gas station toilet break. Take a side road, explore the back country, stop at a bistro, stay overnight at a b&b. Otherwise, why not just catch a flight?

#4837 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:33 AM

I love that myself. I very rarely use the highway to get up-Island for that very reason.

But I’ve had to make the Edmonton-Vancouver trips a few times in a day. Not possible to catch a plane because you need your vehicle over there anyways, and you’re moving items from one place to another. But trust me, there have been times when I’ve sat at a rest stop cursing out the Westjet flight above, lol.

Know it all.

#4838 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

Personally, I totally don't mind stopping at superchargers after 3-4 hrs of driving and grabbing lunch. This is one of my favs in Croatia. Nice seaside village, great restaurants. 

Senj.jpeg

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#4839 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:05 AM

Ok, I’d stop there too!

Know it all.

#4840 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

Slightly different stopping in EU. We did that all through Croatia, Italy and France. Little bit different when you're driving to Napa from here. Unless you do the Pacific Coast Rd through Canon Beach etc its more likely you'll run the I5 and stop at a few Trader Joes etc for snacks to go. Mind you the Interstate Rest Areas are usually very nice. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)