Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#4841 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who would take the amazing opportunity of driving a luxury car across this amazing country only to squander it by white-knuckling it non-stop along the highway all day with only a gas station toilet break. Take a side road, explore the back country, stop at a bistro, stay overnight at a b&b. Otherwise, why not just catch a flight?

On a return trip, usually one way I'd do that, but the other way is Interstate / Freeways, get there quick as you can. Time is often a factor - you only have so much time off. Plus, driving with kids, you don't want it to take longer than it needs to.

#4842 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:57 AM

[Note to self: Insert quote from ancient Chinese philosopher re: journey is destination etc.]

#4843 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:00 AM

I feel sorry for anyone who would take the amazing opportunity of driving a luxury car across this amazing country only to squander it by white-knuckling it non-stop along the highway all day with only a gas station toilet break. Take a side road, explore the back country, stop at a bistro, stay overnight at a b&b. Otherwise, why not just catch a flight?

I feel sorry for anyone who would take the trip in an automatic :D  

On the return trip, I remember when BC Ferries put all those fancy stores in the middle of the terminal and called it Tsawwassen Quay.  After 12 hours of driving all I wanted was a simple BC Ferries hot dog.  I got it on the boat and stayed in the car.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4844 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

how about this peer to peer charging concept? like jet fighter refueling.

https://www.popularm...arging-concept/

or this one to rent your home charger out:

SWTCH, a Toronto-based startup, has developed a web-based platform that will allow homeowners with electric-vehicle chargers to rent plug-in time to other EV drivers. Similar to the lodging rental app Airbnb, SWTCH allows users to manage profiles, bookings and transactions through its interface.

https://www.theglobe...rticle35084045/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 October 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#4845 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

I had the opportunity to drive the Porsche Taycan Turbo the other day for a few hours. Its very good. Loved the fit and finish and the response is quite something. Could very easily get a few tickets in that! 

$180K for that model. Looking forward to seeing the progression over the next 5-10 years. Still waiting for that mid sized P/U which would be a great DD for me 

#4846 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

I had the opportunity to drive the Porsche Taycan Turbo the other day for a few hours. Its very good. Loved the fit and finish and the response is quite something. Could very easily get a few tickets in that! 

$180K for that model. Looking forward to seeing the progression over the next 5-10 years. Still waiting for that mid sized P/U which would be a great DD for me 

Here you go; drove one a few weeks ago a beautiful mid size truck. Lots of pep, decent features and hauling capacity. Seriously looking at upgrading our older Gen Ranger/Edge to the Ranger/Lariat. And not $180K :)

https://www.ford.com.../ranger-lariat/

#4847 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

Wow, 1,500lb minimum hauling weight. That’s pretty good for a quarter ton.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4848 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

^So ya gotta be hauling 1500lbs all the time?

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4849 IPH

IPH
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:36 PM

The Taycan is fully electric (no internal combustion engine).  Wasn't Ford promising to have a fully electric F150 by 2021?

#4850 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:15 PM

^So ya gotta be hauling 1500lbs all the time?

No, silly. Different options yield different payload limits, with the minimum being 1,500 lbs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4851 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:35 AM

Here you go; drove one a few weeks ago a beautiful mid size truck. Lots of pep, decent features and hauling capacity. Seriously looking at upgrading our older Gen Ranger/Edge to the Ranger/Lariat. And not $180K :)

https://www.ford.com.../ranger-lariat/

Should have said mid-sized EV P/U

• AllseeingEye likes this

#4852 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:16 AM

Oh man. That must have been quite the fun drive. Did you drive it up at the Malahat track?

• rjag likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4853 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

Oh man. That must have been quite the fun drive. Did you drive it up at the Malahat track?

No, I drove all over the Peninsula and town for about 3 hours. Picked up a few buddies, did a few launches...holy crap straight line is epic right up there with 911 Turbo S epic. Great grip but I doubt it would do well at that track as its a tight track with limited straights. That track is more for Alfa 4C, Cayman's etc way more than big 911/Taycan/Panamera

But is it worth $180k? Sure, for some folks just like living in a $2million house as opposed to a $500k condo. Its a limited appeal vehicle in the same way a Range Rover is compared to a Jeep. 

• Hotel Mike likes this

#4854 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:26 AM

Electrek can confirm that Tesla has dissolved its PR department — technically becoming the first automaker who doesn’t talk to the press.

https://electrek.co/...-pr-department/

#4855 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:53 AM

Why bother if Electrek is doing PR on your behalf?

Know it all.

#4856 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

I guess we could add hydrogen to the mix...

https://www.jwnenerg...gen-superpower/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4857 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Record Tesla Q3 revenue, record profits.   Remember all the wacky predictions in this thread about how they were on the verge of bankruptcy and $275 a share was insanely overpriced?   Well they seem to be doing better than ever, and one share costs $2100 (probably overpriced, but it is what it is)

#4858 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Front page of driving.ca right now.     Mostly EVs.   No surprise when the leading vehicles in every category will be electric. The gas car has no long term future.   At this point it's illogical to buy a new gas car.  Either go EV or keep driving your old car for a few more years and switch then.  

ev.jpg

Edited by LeoVictoria, 21 October 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#4859 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

I expect 50% of new vehicle sales to be electric (plug in hybrid or full EV) in BC by 2025

Edited by LeoVictoria, 21 October 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#4860 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

Judging by my past experience, I figure that I can get at least another fiften years out of my old gas guzzler.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users