Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11570 replies to this topic

#4881 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:16 PM

So what happens to that Tesla? They replace the battery and resell it? 

I hate to think all electric cars are like iPhones, you use them for a few years and chuck 'em out.

You get a new battery not a new Tesla. The old batteries Tesla has a 3rd party vendor recycle but Elon mentioned recently they will bring it in house.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4882 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

Right, gotcha.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4883 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

It's torque availability during acceleration: EVs have 100% immediately, ICEs build up gradually. Weight can also be factor, as EVs are often heavier than the comparable ICE (but not always!).

Model S/X are pigs on weight but Model 3 is in line with competitors on weight.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#4884 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

More and more regions moving up their sales bans for ICE vehicles.   2040 -> 2035 -> 2030.   

Sort of pointless, no one in their right mind will want to buy an ICE vehicle in 2030.  But the market is dead, no doubt about it. 

#4885 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:59 AM

Speaking of EV investment plays, Leo, what’s your take on Nikola? The company says it wants to self-finance. Its shares are grinding away in the low 20s after hitting 90s.

If they have a chance at releasing a vehicle $20s feels like a decent entry, unless there’s obvious trouble ahead. Self-financing could be a bonanza or a quick end to the company.

100% fraud of a company.  Not to say the stock won't trundle around in this crazy market.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 03 December 2020 - 09:59 AM.

#4886 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:00 AM

how did this work out?

Still the plan.   Turns out I was optimistic on autonomy.   Maybe in another 5 years :)

Still thinking we won't own another car after this one.  

#4887 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:37 AM

As for battery longevity, not really a real world issue for modern EVs, where the battery will already last as long as the rest of the car.  In first gen vehicles like the Nissan Leaf the battery was less robust so you have to be a bit careful in how you treat it, but the mild Victoria climate helps a lot (Leaf batteries don't do well in the heat).   My 2013 Leaf battery is going strong.  If in 5 years the range has reduced beyond usability for a town car (which it always was, since new) then I could swap in a 40kWh battery and double the range from new.

#4888 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:02 PM

check this charge station out!

https://youtu.be/FoN4WCpuxHY

#4889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:00 PM

What are we going to do about the electric grid, though?

That’s the big concern I hear from contacts at BC Hydro. 250,000 cars plugging into superchargers at 6PM is a dilemma.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4890 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:13 PM

What are we going to do about the electric grid, though?

That’s the big concern I hear from contacts at BC Hydro. 250,000 cars plugging into superchargers at 6PM is a dilemma.

well that's why we have smart meters.  so bc hydro can give you a discount to pre-set your charger to start at 11pm instead.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2020 - 06:14 PM.

#4891 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:24 PM

Sure, but that discount is available because 250,000 car batteries aren’t charging. And I’m just talking about Vancouver Island.

Know it all.

#4892 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:35 PM

Sure, but that discount is available because 250,000 car batteries aren’t charging. And I’m just talking about Vancouver Island.

it does appear we will have to do something.

According to the university’s Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions, BC will need to increase its electricity generation from a capacity of 15.6 gigawatts in 2015 to 37 gigawatts by 2055 to meet the expected economic and population growth, including the switch to all-electric road transportation.

https://dailyhive.co...ower-production

site c is only going to give us 1.1gw more.  

by 2030 small-scale solar could be incorporated in every new home.  and many existing.  we might be alright.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#4893 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:16 PM

I thought the environmentalists told us we don’t need Site C’s power?

Know it all.

#4894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:43 AM

I thought the environmentalists told us we don’t need Site C’s power?

they lie all the time.

but in fairness they likely said that the equivalent power could be generated using different means.

#4895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:08 AM

I think they argued we just don’t need that capacity, just like they said we don’t need extra pipeline capacity. And charging cars with wind and solar at night doesn’t work.

It’s a serious dilemma we face, all joking aside.

Know it all.

#4896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,014 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:14 AM

someone needs to stay awake all night and see if the wind actually blows at night. the same person we assign to go inside the refrigerator to see if the light goes out when we close the door. it would be a small person. maybe that guy from fantasy island if he’s available. or game of thrones. it doesn’t have to be a guy though. just a small person. ellen page maybe.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2020 - 07:15 AM.

#4897 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:26 AM

Winds tend to be much higher during the day. It’s just the way it is, with the heat exchange. Warmer air rises and causes turbulent conditions, but evening air just mellows out. Unless there’s a major front rolling through then that’s a different story.

Wind isn’t reliable as a source of energy at night.

Know it all.

#4898 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:11 PM

Looking to finally install the level 2 charger for the car, with the J1772 plug. Looks like some money from the province for the upgrade. The 30 amp circuit is already installed.

Anyone buy one of these, and where from? Some on Amazon but I want some other opinions.

Matt.

#4899 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 10:45 PM

put in the Flo G5  back in 2017 when we picked up the eGolf

has worked just fine...installed at side of house- handles the weather alright...has not given us any problem

my son installed the same model 1 1/2 years ago...charges his Fiat e500  and now his electric Kia Soul ev

https://www.amazon.c...B8-C178B4ED2304

• Matt R. likes this

#4900 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 December 2020 - 11:48 PM

More and more regions moving up their sales bans for ICE vehicles.   2040 -> 2035 -> 2030.   

Sort of pointless, no one in their right mind will want to buy an ICE vehicle in 2030.  But the market is dead, no doubt about it. 

Looks like I will have to start stocking up on spare parts!  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

splashflash