Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#4921 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 January 2021 - 09:49 PM

1008 Pandora just added 6 electric charging stations for public use in the Save On parking lot.

Oh great so you can do your shopping and have your car broken into while its charging... :muching_out:

• sebberry likes this

#4922 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 09:31 AM

babylon bee:

After years of fighting lame California politicians who want to lock everyone in their homes so they can't go to space or build cool stuff, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced he was moving to a land flowing with milk and honey called Texas. Almost immediately after the move, he announced a new product the whole world has been waiting for: the Tesla AR-15.

"Um... h-howdy, I think," said Elon, expertly taking on the local dialect. "Y'all want a Tesla AR-15? You got it, partner!" 

The new firearm will look similar to a standard AR-15 but will in fact be a battery-powered railgun capable of firing 3 million rounds per minute. It will also feature a fingerprint sensor, Bluetooth capability, heat-seeking ammunition, and a chainsaw bayonet.

https://babylonbee.c...y-powered-ar-15

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 February 2021 - 09:31 AM.

#4923 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:22 AM

CoV is installing two Level 3 (DCFC) chargers on Store Street across from Market Square, expected to be ready for use in April

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4924 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:38 PM

Telsa will be opening a location in Victoria at the former Volvo location at the 5 way. From my understanding they have purchased the building from Jim Pattison. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4925 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:43 PM

Is this a recent revelation? Last fall they confirmed they were looking for a service location: https://victoria.cit...tre/?term=Tesla

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4926 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 03:49 PM

Is this a recent revelation? Last fall they confirmed they were looking for a service location: https://victoria.cit...tre/?term=Tesla

Yes, within the last two months.

• Mike K. likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4927 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

Nice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4928 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

CoV is installing two Level 3 (DCFC) chargers on Store Street across from Market Square, expected to be ready for use in April

There has been construction there for the last two days. I was wondering what that was about. It's right in front of Famoso.

#4929 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:48 PM

Oh great so you can do your shopping and have your car broken into while its charging... :muching_out:

Has this specifically been an issue with the underground parking for Save On? I live in the building and haven't heard of any cars being broken into. The building has a lot of security.

#4930 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

There has been construction there for the last two days. I was wondering what that was about. It's right in front of Famoso.

Yes, based on the photo CoV posted it looks like the two stalls will be at the end closest to Johnson Street

EtUXbuEUUAAvPif.jpg

Edited by Jackerbie, 03 February 2021 - 04:57 PM.

#4931 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

Yes, within the last two months.

Hmm, I think we’ll have to hold on this one. I just spoke with someone involved and they say there is no formal agreement and multiple locations are currently on the table, including the Volvo property.

Know it all.

#4932 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 11:11 AM

Telsa will be opening a location in Victoria at the former Volvo location at the 5 way. From my understanding they have purchased the building from Jim Pattison. 

I had previously heard a rumour about Tesla taking over the former Barclay's pawn shop location in Chinatown.  I thought that would be an awesome location for them. The former volvo location seems a bit pedestrian in comparison.  

(FWIW, the latest rumour I've heard about the old Barclay's location is that it's becoming a gym)

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4933 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2021 - 12:16 PM

I had previously heard a rumour about Tesla taking over the former Barclay's pawn shop location in Chinatown.  I thought that would be an awesome location for them. The former volvo location seems a bit pedestrian in comparison.  

(FWIW, the latest rumour I've heard about the old Barclay's location is that it's becoming a gym)

I don't know which unit it is, and the property includes both 516 Fisgard and 517 Herald, but there's a building permit issued for a new gym, personal services, and coffee shop

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4934 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

Tesla is having to recall 135,000 vehicles over potentially faulty console screens. The recall affects the 2012-2018 Model S and 2016-2018 Model X. I think it's limited to the US for now but not sure.

Via https://www.google.c...-regulators/amp

#4935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 06:10 AM

No Way Norway | Extended Big Game Commercial | General Motors

video:  https://youtu.be/yCy-a_E2I3s

#4936 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

No Way Norway | Extended Big Game Commercial | General Motors

video:  https://youtu.be/yCy-a_E2I3s

Such a stupid commercial....could barely get through it once.

Of course keeping in mind that the source of the EV sales is massive subsidies driven by a country with a massive fossil fuel industry and major hydro electric power. Canada cant even bring a single pipe to tidewater or build a dam without some enviro blocking something or other. Yet these same enviros push the wonders of Norway's fossil fuel subsidised EV Revolution. 

Norway has some of the highest taxes in the world on what it regards as luxury goods, which includes cars. So reduced taxes on vehicles, with numerous incentives, is bound to entice car buyers. There is a range of incentives and exemptions including:

• No vehicle purchase tax (a big levy which helps push up the average price for a vehicle in Norway to £43,000-£46,000, compared with an EU average of £26,000-£29,000)

• No VAT – usually 25%

• Zero road tax

• Free parking in some municipal car parks

• Reduced tax on company electric cars (at a lower rate than fossil-fuel vehicles)

• Reduced or free tolls in some areas

• Driving in a bus lane if carrying a passenger

• 50% discount on some car parks, tolls and ferry fares

And the funny thing is you all know that these freebies will disappear once they achieve capacity and then the costs will balloon and the next part of the plan will be to remove all single occupant EV's and eventually all personal ownership of transportation. You know thats the direction they are heading in as they will never be happy unless they have a cause

Edited by rjag, 08 February 2021 - 08:04 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#4937 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

put in the Flo G5  back in 2017 when we picked up the eGolf

has worked just fine...installed at side of house- handles the weather alright...has not given us any problem

my son installed the same model 1 1/2 years ago...charges his Fiat e500  and now his electric Kia Soul ev

https://www.amazon.c...B8-C178B4ED2304

Installing this one today. BC Hydro rebates are helping, a lot.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#4938 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:44 PM

interestingly, these folks - https://www.plugzio.com/ - claim that their plug management system makes it possible to better manage what i take to be a number of level outlets in a single location

they argue that  "most" drivers don't need the hgh volume charge provided by level 2 and higher given they can pulg in every day and the "average" trip is around 80km/day

#4939 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:30 AM

A level two charger will charge about 40 kilometers each hour, so if you only go 80k per day that's about two hours of charging. You spread out the charging over more hours at night if your electrical system can't handle it, or in the case of several cars, multiplex them.

A regular wall plug will charge 200k on about 24 hours. If you've used 80k of car charge in a day then you can get that back in about 10-12 hours, meaning overnight for most people.

The older batteries could hold about 200k, so even if you didn't get a complete change overnight you'd still have an extra day of slack. For newer cars that might turn into three or four days, so if you drive a bit less one day or have any extra hour of two to charge them you can catch up to a full charge.

#4940 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:21 AM

Can the grid handle a sudden switch to electric cars?

https://www.youtube....h?v=7dfyG6FXsUU

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)