Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11573 replies to this topic

#5001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:17 AM

I have to say, that despite the ugliness of the thing (personal opinion) it’s going to revolutionize the industry.

Trucks have become $75k glamour rides and are losing the very things that made them what they are, namely build quality and durability. Along comes Musk with a vehicle he says will be durable and able to withstand dings and dents and most importantly able to haul heavy loads and pull (relatively) heavy trailers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5002 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:27 AM

dings and dents? it’s bulletproof.

#5003 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:52 AM

It's like every decade a new ground-breaking cladding material is announced that spells the end of rust, dents and dings but it's always short-lived and we're back to plain old sheet metal.

#5004 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:54 AM

It's like every decade a new ground-breaking cladding material is announced that spells the end of rust, dents and dings but it's always short-lived and we're back to plain old sheet metal.

Flex-Seal-Works-3.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#5005 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:58 AM

^Why don't they spray that stuff on the inside of the sheet metal at the factory? Is it one of those stupid questions with an answer like, duh, because it would add five dollars to the price of a new car.

#5006 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 May 2021 - 08:40 AM

I have to say, that despite the ugliness of the thing (personal opinion) it’s going to revolutionize the industry.

Trucks have become $75k glamour rides and are losing the very things that made them what they are, namely build quality and durability. Along comes Musk with a vehicle he says will be durable and able to withstand dings and dents and most importantly able to haul heavy loads and pull (relatively) heavy trailers.

Musk gets to say whatever he wants, but I have significant doubts the cybertruck will be anything more than a glamour ride itself

#5007 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 10:59 AM

funny story, I saw a Tesla in front of me at the Costco gas station yesterday.   Turns out he was filling his jerrycan up. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5008 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:30 AM

funny story, I saw a Tesla in front of me at the Costco gas station yesterday.   Turns out he was filling his jerrycan up. 

He spent so much on the Tesla he can't afford an electric lawnmower?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5009 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:38 AM

He spent so much on the Tesla he can't afford an electric lawnmower?

teslas are not the best for heat in the winter.  so some owners light a little gasoline fire in a bowl in the back seat.  just to warm up quicker.

• Mike K., rjag and Matt R. like this

#5010 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 11:50 AM

teslas are not the best for heat in the winter.  so some owners light a little gasoline fire in a bowl in the back seat.  just to warm up quicker.

Irresponsible to spread such rumors when you know full well only the rear middle seat has firebowl capability, and only with diesel- NOT gas.

Edited by max.bravo, 09 May 2021 - 11:51 AM.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#5011 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:42 PM

Musk gets to say whatever he wants, but I have significant doubts the cybertruck will be anything more than a glamour ride itself

Very good towing capacity for a half-ton, but without an 8’ bed it becomes less of a utility than it could be.

I’m very keen to see how they perform on rough roads and gravel terrain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:27 PM

introducing the AeroCivic. - the 95 mpg customized vehicle of tomorrow.

I started this fuel economy project after the Hurricane Katrina-inspired gas price run up, as I have a long commute and, except for a few hybrids, the car companies were busy introducing models with ever poorer gas mileage.

https://aerocivic.com/

VERY CLEAN lines, check the VIDEOhttps://youtu.be/pVFQj6Wcasw

profile-z.jpg

when it's so easy to customize a older car like this and make it look better than a brand new Tesla, plus it gets 95 mpg, and an 800-mile range, how can electric cars even compete?

skirt-f-z.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2021 - 06:34 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5013 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:49 AM

A head exploded after Musk’s SNL skit.

“Wait. Whaaaaaaaaa… did Elon Musk just … like… aggressively flash the white power sign during the Weekend Update? Please tell me I’m insane. Please. No really. Going to need you to tell me I’m insane,” Barringer tweeted.

“Listen, usually when I say I hope someone dies in a fire, I’m being hyperbolic. But, like, Tesla’s do burn for four hours straight, so like … I’m not gonna be mad about it,” she continued. “I kept watching because I really hoped one of the cast members was going to walk to the front of the stage at the closing and punch him out.”

“Definitely never thought Saturday Night Live would send me into a tornado of existential despair. But here we are. I almost don’t have words but I will say I hope his Tesla catches on fire and he dies. :)

Guy barely wrapped up his comedy skit, and Twitter breaks down, calling for his death in a burning Tesla, and hoping maybe the tattooed guy knocks him out.

Know it all.

#5014 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

what’s the source of those three paragraphs?

serious media needs to stop getting their stories from Twitter.

Fox is as bad this morning getting a bunch of Chappell quotes about Musk on SNL from a 2.5 hour Rogan show. And selectivity using them out of overall context.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2021 - 09:08 AM.

#5015 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

The source is a member of the exclusive blue checkmark brigade, Daisy Barringer, described as a freelance writer and editor from SFO.

I dunno, are we at that point in society, where journalists just get to call for people's death, because they don't like someone's joke? I don't particularly mind the news industry policing itself in this way. Journalists, like actors, shouldn't be publicly wishing for violence and murder against those who they disagree with.

• LJ likes this

Know it all.

#5016 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 02:48 AM

Ford plans more expensive versions of the F-150 Lightning, including a "Platinum" model with an extended-range battery likely to be priced around $90,000 US.

Tesla's electric Cybertruck, which looks like it rolled off the set of a science-fiction movie, is due to begin high-volume production in 2022, and its price will start at $39,900 US. GM's first electric pickup is an "electric supertruck," the GMC Hummer EV, priced from $79,995 to nearly $100,000 US. High-volume production will begin in fall 2022, after a small initial run of trucks this autumn.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...truck-1.6033607

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 May 2021 - 02:48 AM.

#5017 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 05:58 AM

Imagine the cYbErTRuCk becoming the working man’s only electric option.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5018 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:35 AM

The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup looks like brawny, battery-powered bargain - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Now this is an EV I could live with....

Put my deposit down for it this morning. Of course the price in Canada is nowhere near the bargain in the US.  

• SimonH likes this

#5019 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:45 AM

Rjag, dibs in on shotgun!
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.

#5020 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:46 AM

Well, the linked article does state that the base model of the electric F-150 is priced at $39,974US, so pretty much the same price as the Tesla.  The 90,000 dollar version is the luxury version.  F-150s have always had a wide range of options which can triple the price (or more) so nothing new.

I have a tough time seeing the Cybertruck replacing full-size pickups like the F-150, at least as a work vehicle. Maybe it's deceiving because of the shape, but the Cybertruck looks to have a much smaller interior, less clearance, and the truck box looks a lot less functional as it's smaller (at least, it looks like it is) and is not removable / replaceable, able to support a canopy or overhead rack, and would be difficult to access from the side of the truck.  There is a reason that trucks have been essentially the same shape for decades.

• Barrrister likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)