Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11554 replies to this topic

#5301 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,984 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:51 AM

Tesla Inc said on Saturday it had delivered a record electric cars in the third quarter, beating Wall Street estimates after Chief Executive Elon Musk asked staff to "go super hardcore" to make a quarter-end delivery push.

Tesla has weathered the chip crisis better than rivals, with its overall deliveries surging 20% in the July to September period from its previous record in the second quarter, marking the sixth consecutive quarter-on-quarter gains. .

https://finance.yaho...-155235827.html

that’s a 73% increase over Q3 2020.

and they have two more factories opening this year - Berlin and Texas.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 October 2021 - 06:55 AM.

#5302 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2021 - 04:39 PM

Interesting article. For me the takeaway is the inability for infrastructure to deal with surge demand. Like that picture of the long lineup Teslas in Hope this summer and the hours long wait.

Same picture has been circuculating now for multiple summers. The thing is they are quickly adding more chargers (just added 12 more in Hope doubling capacity) and the range is getting better and better meaning you can skip more chargers, i.e. you can take a new Model S straight from Vancouver to Kelowna without stopping versus the older ones need to stop in either Merrit or Hope. 

I've personally never had an issue waiting at a supercharger (it is rare), but on top of that I've never had to leave my car in 6 years at a dealership for the day. Yes one day I might get caught at a supercharger wait, or I could get an ICE and suffer through leaving it at a dealership for oil changes/servicing, going to gas stations, having to get the brakes serviced, etc. 

Plugging in for me at home is less than 5 seconds. Going to a gas station is 5 minutes per week or 4 hours per year. 

I love ICE cars just like people love horses. They are fun, but every day practicality it isn't in the same league as electric. 

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5303 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:37 PM

Stop trying to convince Seb. He's a diehard ICE guy who will still be driving a stick 4 cylinder in 10 years. Some folks just don't like change.

I've had my car since '04.  I've driven a few automatics in that time (mainly dealer loaners) and the only excitement I get from them is when I accidentally clip the brake pedal with my clutch foot.  I'm sorry, but I want to be more engaged with the car, I like the mechanical rawness of it.  Now that electric cars are doing the 'one pedal driving' thing where the regen is so strong when you take your foot off the electron pedal.... I'm sorry, that's the definition of soulless.  I'd like the new version of my car, but sadly it's CVT only now.  And let's face it, I don't get paid enough to afford it.

but on top of that I've never had to leave my car in 6 years at a dealership for the day. 

Mechanics are annoying but just book a loaner for the day.

My workplace's Datsun Leaf was in the shop for weeks to replace a faulty inverter or something.  It just stopped starting up one day and had to be towed in.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5304 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 06:02 AM

I do most of the work on my TR6, the shortage of computer chips has not impacted me yet. Even my speedo and tach are run off cable. A lot to be said for tuning for the Webber twin cams. 

• rjag and Victoria Watcher like this

#5305 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 08:16 AM

delete

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 08:17 AM.

#5306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 10:08 AM

Herbert Diess is worried. Why? Because the Volkswagen Group CEO sees Tesla and a host of Chinese car companies in the rear-view mirror and moving up fast. Last Thursday, he and Ralf Brandstätter, head of the Volkswagen brand, held a meeting with 120 senior managers at the company’s primary factory in Wolfsburg.

Their message was clear — Volkswagen risks falling behind the competition unless it makes big changes in its manufacturing facilities. “We have great responsibility for this location,” Diess said. “We have to accept the new competition. We need the will to live and a jolt at this location.”

According to Business Insider, Diess said Tesla and many Chinese manufacturers are now producing cars cheaper and faster. The quality of their vehicles is getting better and now rivals European standards.

According to Kearney, a management consultancy, more than 70% of Chinese customers plan to buy their next premium vehicle from a Chinese manufacturer because they make top quality vehicles at an affordable price. German models like the ID.4 simply can’t keep up.

Brandstätter agrees. He says there is an urgent necessity to improving the Wolfsburg factory to meet the competition from Tesla at its new factory in Grüneheide, where a (Tesla) Model 3 takes only 10 hours to build. An ID. 3 (VW) built at Zwickau reportedly takes three times longer to manufacture, according to leaks from the executive meeting.

https://cleantechnic...fsburg-factory/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2021 - 10:09 AM.

#5307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:25 PM

Elon Musk has posted a key update to Tesla’s FSD Beta 10.2 rollout, with the CEO stating that the new iteration of the company’s advanced driver-assist system is poised for release this coming Friday. Musk also noted that the program would be expanding to about 1,000 new Tesla owners who have registered a perfect 100 rating on their Safety Score. 

The CEO did note, however, that the rollout of FSD Beta 10.2 would be put on hold for several days to evaluate the expanded program. If the results of the FSD Beta 10.2 expansion prove successful, then Tesla would start to gradually roll out the advanced driver-assist system to owners who have posted a 99 rating on their Safety Score. Rollouts to owners with Safety Scores of 98 and below should follow. 

https://www.teslarat...rmed-elon-musk/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2021 - 01:25 PM.

#5308 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Tesla Inc. is officially moving its headquarters to the Austin, Texas, area, Chief Executive Elon Musk told investors on Thursday.

This doesn’t mean the electric vehicle-maker TSLA, +1.39% would leave California entirely, Musk said. It plans to continue to expand since its Fremont, Calif., factory has been “jammed” for some time, he said.

“It’s tough for people to afford houses (in the San Francisco Bay Area) and lots of people have to come from far away” to work in Fremont and in Palo Alto, Calif., where the headquarters is located, Musk said. “There’s limits on how big you can scale in the Bay Area.”

https://www.marketwa...xas-11633646097

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2021 - 02:46 PM.

#5309 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:19 AM

Tesla has revealed by the way of the Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg County Fair that the main Model Y production line is able to manufacture one car body every 45 seconds.

As pointed out by Tesla Facts below, it's enough for hundreds of thousands of cars annually - up to 700,000 assuming 24/7 operation for round year, and above 600,000 including some maintenance breaks.

One car body per 45 seconds is:

• 80 per hour
  • 1,920 per 24 hours
  • 13,440 per week
  • 57,600 per month
  • close to 700,000 per year

We can probably safely assume that the Tesla Giga Berlin plant in Grünheide near Berlin will be able to produce at least more than half a million electric cars annually and that the "over 600,000" number might be its peak at some point in the future.

https://insideevs.co...body-45seconds/

Usually the big headlines from Tesla’s annual shareholder meeting come from the company’s CEO, Elon Musk. And there were some key takeaways which we’ll touch on in a moment. That said, what struck me was a statement early on when Tesla’s Board Chair Robyn Denholm said, “By 2030, we are aiming to sell 20 million electric vehicles per year.”

That’s a lofty goal considering the company only delivered about half a million cars in 2020. Nevertheless, Tesla is growing at a frenetic pace. And it’s not just the company’s stock price that’s experienced massive growth. When Elon Musk took the stage, he referred to a slide that showcased an impressive 71% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) since 4Q 2016.

https://cleantechnic...-sales-by-2030/

Screen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_8.46.34_AM.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 October 2021 - 08:21 AM.

#5310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Any updates on the pick-up?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5311 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:27 AM

still looking at 2022 i think.  it's set to be manufactured at the austin plant and it's not quite finished yet.

August 2021:

https://www.teslarat...y-update-video/

It appears that the pieces are starting to come together for the Tesla Cybertruck. Apart from the rapid development of Gigafactory Texas, Steel Dynamics, Tesla’s supplier for the steel that would be used in the vehicle, is also making some great progress in its Sinton, TX mill. Aerial video of Steel Dynamics’ Sinton site shows that the complex is quite large, and a good portion of it has already been fitted with equipment. 

Steel Dynamics’ Sinton plant is estimated to cost $1.7 billion, which should allow the facility to provide numerous good-paying jobs to workers in the area. It was also initially announced to start operations in Fall 2021. What’s quite interesting is that the Sinton steel plant is only about 167 miles away from Gigafactory Texas. This should make the transportation of steel between the two facilities feasible, which should help Tesla ramp Cybertruck production smoothly. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 October 2021 - 08:29 AM.

#5312 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 08:35 AM

As much as I loath the design, I’m genuinely interested in how the vehicle handles and how it performs in tough terrain. The ability to tow such a heavy load and to carry a heavy payload in a half-ton configuration could be game changing. Now that’s true for all electric pick-ups but add the dent-free components of the cYbErTRuCk into the mix and it’s going to raise a lot of eyebrows.

I just -really- hope they consider a more toned down design at some point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5313 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 10 October 2021 - 09:46 AM

Most Popular Cars in Canada, Third Quarter of 2021

10. Volkswagen Golf (7,904 units sold)

9. Nissan Sentra (8,755 units sold)

8. Mazda3 (9,442 units sold)

7. Tesla Model 3 (9,600 units sold)

6. Toyota Camry (9,713 units sold)

5. Volkswagen Jetta (9,964 units sold)

4. Kia Forte (12,520 units sold)

3. Hyundai Elantra (20,148 units sold)

2. Honda Civic (32,972 units sold)

1. Toyota Corolla (33,627 units sold)

https://motorillustr...-of-2021/87081/

Most Popular SUVs and Trucks in Canada, Third Quarter of 2021

10. Hyundai Tucson (21,006 units sold)

1. Ford F-Series (88,421 units sold)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 October 2021 - 09:49 AM.

#5314 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

Norway has long been one of the leaders in terms of making the transition to electric mobility, with a 2025 goal for the abandon of the internal combustion engine.

In September, 80% of new cars sold in the country were electric vehicles and a large proportion of them were made by Tesla.

Indeed, the American company has enjoyed strong sales in Norway since its introduction and its market share has now reached more than 30% of the country’s entire car market.

https://motorillustr...rway-evs/86652/

Tesla's (TSLA) September deliveries totaled about 150,000 vehicles in September amid a rebound in Chinese demand in Q3, according to Wedbush Securities analysts.

"Tesla continues to dominate market share as evidenced again this quarter (robust 3Q deliveries) while battling through the chip shortage and now is seeing rebounding China demand after facing headwinds earlier this year along with major supply capacity (Austin, Berlin) coming online," analysts Daniel Ives and John Katsingris said in a note.

The analysts said the Berlin and Austin facilities are "key manufacturing hubs that will be key in the long term Tesla EV story" as the car maker is set to produce "millions of EV vehicles per year vs. roughly 870k-900k (base to bull case) this year." They kept their outperform rating and $1,000 price target on Tesla.

https://www.marketsc...-Says-36652974/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 October 2021 - 10:08 AM.

#5315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:19 AM

Norway has long been one of the leaders in terms of making the transition to electric mobility, with a 2025 goal for the abandon of the internal combustion engine.

In September, 80% of new cars sold in the country were electric vehicles and a large proportion of them were made by Tesla.

Indeed, the American company has enjoyed strong sales in Norway since its introduction and its market share has now reached more than 30% of the country’s entire car market.

Massive societal subsidies will do that.

Here’s what you get when you drive an EV in Norway:

- No purchase/import taxes (1990-)
- Exemption from 25% VAT on purchase (2001-)
- No annual road tax (1996-2021). Reduced tax from 2021.
- No charges on toll roads or ferries (1997- 2017).
- Maximum 50% of the total amount on ferry fares for electric vehicles (2018-)
- Maximum 50% of the total amount on toll roads (2019)
- Free municipal parking (1999- 2017)
- Parking fee for EVs was introduced locally with an upper limit of a maximum 50% of the full price (2018-)
- Access to bus lanes (2005-).
- New rules allow local authorities to limit the access to only include EVs that carry one or more passengers (2016)
- 50 % reduced company car tax (2000-2018).
- Company car tax reduction reduced to 40% (2018-)
- Exemption from 25% VAT on leasing (2015)
- Fiscal compensation for the scrapping of fossil vans when converting to a zero-emission van (2018)

Know it all.

#5316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:55 AM

and instead we provide massive subsidies to the oil and gas industry.

#5317 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:04 AM

So does Norway. They export 1.3 million oil barrels a day, so that they can pay for all of their fancy subsidies.

Norway’s oil exports are 2.5x Canada’s, per-capita. Not very green for such green country. They also export a lot of natural gas (#2 in Europe after Russia).
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5318 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,984 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

that's a fancy way to measure, oil exports per capita.  if we exclude the non-petroleum-producing regions of Canada where are we at?

#5319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:16 AM

That’s actually an interesting discussion. All four western provinces produce oil, as does NFLD.

Alberta accounts for 4/5ths of Canadian oil production.

Then there’s natural gas.

Know it all.

#5320 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

Looks like Norwegian oil accounts for 1% of Canadian oil imports, and that ties it for #4 oil exporter into Canada with the UK. The Saudis account for 12% of our imports. Russia is 2%. The US is 80%.

Lots here: https://www.nrcan.gc...oil-facts/20064

Of course, unlike the Norwegian oil export network, Canada’s is being stymied by its own governments and the US. Europe is also very thankful that Norway has agreed to boost exports of natural gas into mainland Europe and its precarious natural gas market. Canada is having trouble exporting natural gas, too.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

MarkoJ