Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11422 replies to this topic

#5401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 11:07 AM

isn't that generally true with all rentals?  they are a bit different than your daily driver brand at home?

#5402 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

When you rent a regular car, you bring it back fully fuelled. Will you have to return a Tesla to Hertz fully charged?

#5403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:54 PM

When you rent a regular car, you bring it back fully fuelled. Will you have to return a Tesla to Hertz fully charged?

it appears not.  but they can charge you some amount for the charge they will add.

#5404 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

isn't that generally true with all rentals?  they are a bit different than your daily driver brand at home?

There is no gear shift in a Tesla for starters! Most people who just hop in have no idea on how to get the car to move!

#5405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:04 PM

that's not correct.  the shift lever is still an option in all models.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2021 - 01:04 PM.

#5406 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:27 PM

I'm sure the silly steering wheel yoke won't confuse anyone

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:42 PM

Also wrong.  Hertz is buying the Model 3.  No yoke in the model 3.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2021 - 01:43 PM.

#5408 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:42 PM

There is no gear shift in a Tesla for starters! Most people who just hop in have no idea on how to get the car to move!

My Tesla has the gear shift stalk from the E-Class Benz. 

Pretty sure Hertz won't be ordering any Teslas with the yoke or any Teslas that go 0-60 in 2 seconds. 

I would say learning curve going from a VW Golf to a Mazda3 is probably higher than going from anything to a Tesla. It is extremely simple and intuitive. Navigation system is out of this world compared to competition in terms of interface/providing directions, I would think that alone would be useful in a foreign place. 

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5409 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:46 PM

I think this is very good timing for Tesla. Next year will be the first year that purpose built electric vehicles (not EV or PHEV versions of ICE cars) start rolling off of factory lines around the world. IMHO Tesla is going to be in tough in a number of the most popular segments. I think that the Rivian/Ford are a far more practical truck (albeit not proven yet) than the Cybertruck and that Kia/Hyundia (and others) are stacking up very nicely against the model Y with their new SUV platform. Tesla has largely squandered the lead they had in tech with Musk's instance on avoiding lidar and using cameras for his 'self-driving' functionality and new cars coming out have better efficiency and range..

I would never bet against Musk but the next 5 years will be very interesting.

I think the next 5 to 10 yrs will be very interesting, but next 1-4 years only problem Tesla will have is losing clients as people don't want to wait 8 months for a car to be delivered. 

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5410 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:59 PM

Navigation system is out of this world compared to competition in terms of interface/providing directions, I would think that alone would be useful in a foreign place. 

I think most people will just plug in their iPhone and use CarPlay.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5411 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:51 PM

I think most people will just plug in their iPhone and use CarPlay.  

Tesla doesn't have carplay!

#5412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:54 PM

I think the next 5 to 10 yrs will be very interesting, but next 1-4 years only problem Tesla will have is losing clients as people don't want to wait 8 months for a car to be delivered. 

And repair costs. I wonder if your standard credit card auto coverage will cover renting a Tesla (it usually excludes certain types of rentals). I banged up the rear end of a Civic once and Thrifty charged me / insurance $1,000 for a rear cover, paint, time that the car was in the shop which I thought was actually pretty fair. A buddy of mine backed his Tesla into a post and the repair bill was $10K plus he was out his car for 3 months while the shop waited for parts.

Edited by spanky123, 27 October 2021 - 02:55 PM.

#5413 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

Tesla doesn't have carplay!

That's... odd.  Also, just poking around a bit and it appears the 3 and Y models also fail to offer SiriusXM satellite radio hardware.  

#5414 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 04:59 PM

Yes. It’s just enabled on the S.

#5415 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 04:16 PM

...somebody got the first vw i.d.4 to roll off the lot yesterday...

Attached Images

• vw2a.jpg

#5416 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

Tesla Model 3 Sales Surge In Singapore Despite Crazy Prices The Model 3 is selling remarkably well in Singapore despite its hefty price tag.

https://insideevs.co...el-3-singapore/

The island city-state of Singapore, located in Southeast Asia, is widely regarded as the most expensive place in the world to buy a new car. Taxes and import costs (as well as emissions charges for non-EVs) result in cars typically costing around three to four times as much in Singapore as they would in the US. An entry-level Honda Civic for example retails at the equivalent of $83,000 there.

So, when Tesla entered the Singaporean market earlier this year locals weren’t expecting their cars to be cheap – even if their EV status meant they could dodge all the emissions charges. And they weren’t wrong, with a base Model 3 SR+ costing the equivalent of around $125k after all incentives have been applied and registration fees paid. Fancy a Model 3 Performance, perhaps with a few options? Prepare to fork out over $160,000 after you’ve paid your mandatory Certificate of Entitlement required for all new vehicles in Singapore. Tesla doesn’t sell the Long Range Model 3 in Singapore, meanwhile the Model Sand Y are also all yet to reach the island.

Despite all the above, Tesla are doing quite well in Singapore. The firm sold 314 cars in September – almost as much as Hyundai. Overall Tesla was the 6th best-selling automaker in Singapore last month.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 05:28 PM.

#5417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 05:01 AM

It appears that Tesla is now making the necessary preparations for a serious ramp of its Model 3 and Model Y production in Gigafactory Shanghai next year. As per recent reports from China, Tesla has reportedly placed an order for 45 GWh worth of lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries from Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL), one of its key battery partners. 

LFP batteries are currently being used in the Model 3 Standard Range Plus that is produced in Gigafactory Shanghai, and the cells are reportedly being used to power the Model Y Standard Range as well. Considering that the Model 3 SR+ is reportedly fitted with a 55 kWh battery and the Model Y SR is equipped with a 60 kWh pack, the 45 GWh order from CATL could correspond to nearly 800,000 vehicles, local Chinese news outlet 36 Krypton noted. 

https://www.teslarat...3-model-y-2022/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 October 2021 - 05:01 AM.

#5418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 02:49 PM

Tesla stock started the month of October at $775.

And ended at $1114.

Who’s making big money here on VV? Mike?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 October 2021 - 02:49 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5419 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 October 2021 - 03:31 PM

...somebody got the first vw i.d.4 to roll off the lot yesterday...

And they've crashed it into a garden already?

Tesla stock started the month of October at $775.

And ended at $1114.

Who’s making big money here on VV? Mike?

HA! I wish.  Can I just buy their stock at Tesla.com like their cars?

#5420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 03:41 PM

You can buy it on many cheap or free platforms. Wealthsimplle.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users