Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11498 replies to this topic

#5641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:12 PM

The old ones are heavy, but new ones are coming down in weight. Base Tesla Model 3 is 3,500 lb (same weight as similar cars, A4, C-Class, 3 series).

By the time Tesla comes out with a G2 Model 3 it will probably be 3,200 or less. A 2022 Civic is 3000 lb.

The little Rivian has a curb weight heavier than an F350 dually, a truck magnitudes times larger, with a curb weight of 7,158 lbs compared to the F350s 6,967.

I know, that’s totally bonkers!

https://www.google.c...ling-truck.html

https://www.edmunds....features-specs/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5642 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:42 PM

I am sure there are plenty of bright engineers at BC Hydro running the calculations. As I said we have 20+ years to adapt to this problem. One solution is just hiking the price of electricity to the point where solar panels make sense on the private side of things.

Right now, it costs me about $5 to fill up my Tesla at home. If you 4x the price of electricity it is still substantially cheaper than gas and at 4x the price solar panels, make a lot of sense. 

You would think if we were close to a problem they would be offering cheaper rates between 2am-5am? 

How much do you lose due to things like keeping the battery at temp, environment system, etc. Buddy of mine claims that about 20% of his range gets used that way (more so in the winter).

#5643 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:02 PM

Some models have adjustments to reduce energy required for comfortable heating and cooling.

For example my seats have both heaters and air conditioning air flow. Also a heated steering wheel. In summer driving because of the warmer ambient temperature I get more that the standard range listed for the car. Range is reduced in the winter but in Victoria mine is 5-10% max range reduction in town. I am parked in a garage at night so the car battery does not get cold.

• Mike K. likes this

#5644 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 03:30 PM

Battery temperature management is less of an issue in a place like Victoria. I have a 2019 Nissan Leaf, no active batttery temperature management, and it functions just fine. I would think it would be more of an issue in extreme heat and cold but we rarely get that here. Generally speaking the batteries function the best in temperatures that are comfortable for people, and that's most of the time in Victoria. 

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5645 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:34 PM

How much do you lose due to things like keeping the battery at temp, environment system, etc. Buddy of mine claims that about 20% of his range gets used that way (more so in the winter).

To put things into perspective

- Six years ago, I bought the smallest battery available (383 km @ 100%). The base model 3 is 430 km today. The Model S (what I have) is now 653 km in base format. 

- After >200,000 km my batter has deteriorated to 350 km @ 100%

- I drive more than 95% of people 

- I probably lose 25% of range if not more in the wintertime

and I've never had range anxiety. Why is that? Even with all those things factored in I don't drive more than 200 km in a day so that fact that I have the smallest batter + deterioration + winter loss still doesn't impact my daily use.

As far as road trips everywhere I go is covered by superchargers. Tofino, no problem. Whistler, no problem. Kelowna, no problem. Portland, no problem, etc. Yes, if I wanted to go across Canada, it would be an issue, but I don't drive across Canada. Calgary and further I am just flying. 

Range is overrated imo. Not sure why people obsess with it. 

• Mike K., lanforod and punk cannonballer like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#5646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:48 PM

How would you feel if the government mandated that every gas station must install and maintain in working order at least one universal charger by 2024?

But they can charge any price they want, up to say $0.95 per kWh (Electrify America charges 0.31-0.43).  Now range anxiety should be reduced to near zero, if you are willing to pay a sharp fee for the assurance that a charger is likely ready at the next gas stop.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2021 - 04:52 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#5647 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:27 PM

How would you feel if the government mandated that every gas station must install and maintain in working order at least one universal charger by 2024?

If they could figure out how to do it in the carwash bay that'd be ideal.  That way you can charge up while you get an overpriced mediocre wash while you're at it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5648 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:28 PM

Elon Musk hints at steer-by-wire yoke steering in Cybertruck, confirms it will be a ‘tech bandwagon’

https://driveteslaca...tech-bandwagon/

Steering by wire is neat.

That sounds like a disaster in the making.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5649 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:01 AM

Why a disaster? My 2008 GTI had no mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the rack. It’s commonplace now.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5650 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:10 AM

It's how planes work.  Why not?

Some type of electromechanical system is needed for new technologies like lane keeping, automatic steering and automatic parking, so they are necessary at some point. All enthusiasts want is to have as few layers as possible between them and the road. However, if automakers only built cars for enthusiasts they’d be out of business in a week. It’s a tradeoff.

All of these systems are really tradeoffs. You want a few more mpg by having fewer things running off the engine (hydraulic steering pumps, hydraulic brake boosters)? Electronic by-wire systems will do that. If you want visceral steering feel, you want hydraulic—though vehicles using that old system are probably in the single digits. Still, there are some electromechanical and electrohydraulic systems that are better than others. The Mazda MX-5 Miata is one of the better ones, the Subaru BRZ another. My 2014 Ford Mustang is OK, and the current Chevy Camaro and Alfa Romeo Giulia are good, too.

If you really want steering feel, get an old Lotus Exige or an Alfa 4C; they don’t have power steering at all so not only will you be able to feel what size coin you just rolled over, you’ll be able to tell if it was heads or tails. If you don’t care about steering feel, good news, you’ll probably never have to think about it again.

https://www.autoweek...al-connections/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#5651 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:21 AM

What's happening with Elon's new haircut?

25D666C100000578-2961331-image-m-28_1424

Musk, 50, the richest person in the world with an estimated net worth of $297 billion, took to the platform to discuss his company with The Wall Street Journal during a live feed on the outlet's account.

However, while the meeting may have been all business, the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley noticed that Musk was rocking an unusual swooping hairdo for the event, and quoted the tweet by simply stating "nice haircut @elonmusk."

https://www.newsweek...haircut-1656675

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 06:23 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5652 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:37 AM

Elon’s mom is a model, btw. I just recently learned that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5653 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:47 AM

Some would say that allowing humans to make manual inputs into vehicles that will and do cause crashes is a disaster already made.  Running red lights and stop signs, speeding, following too close, swerving excessively resulting in rolls, oversteering etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 07:49 AM.

#5654 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:53 AM

But your computer blasted past pulled over vehicles on the highway right next to them, at 20 km over the 80km limit.

The smart computer should know not to do that.

Know it all.

#5655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:04 AM

But your computer blasted past pulled over vehicles on the highway right next to them, at 20 km over the 80km limit.

The smart computer should know not to do that.

As a human would you have come to a full stop on the TCH?

That computer did the same thing I would have done.

That computer was also in beta test mode, and it had a human with a very strong safe driving record closely monitoring.  He choose not to override either.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 08:06 AM.

#5656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:14 AM

I would have pulled into the left lane and slowed down, yes. He was feet away from a person who poked out of nowhere, but it was 100% predictable that stopped cars under an overpass might have people milling about.

That computer likes very unsafe driving, and it’s human controller is a lucky, not a good driver.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#5657 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:33 AM

and it’s human controller is a lucky, not a good driver.

That human has been determined by Tesla to be in the top 99% of Tesla drivers, based on braking and turning habits over thousands of miles of his very own driving.   Not a perfect guage, but better than the 20-minute road test you took for your license 20+ years ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 08:34 AM.

#5658 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:40 AM

What's happening with Elon's new haircut?

I get more of a Gary Oldman 5th Element vibe.

The-Fifth-Element-gary-oldman-22009604-4

Edited by punk cannonballer, 07 December 2021 - 08:41 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5659 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:59 AM

Volkswagen chief executive Herbert Diess will retain his role at the head of the automaker but is expected to cede some responsibilities.

Diess came under fire in early November from German labor leaders after he said that the car manufacturer needed to accelerate its transition to all-electric vehicles if it wants to establish itself as a legitimate rival to Tesla. He also indicated that the car manufacturer could lose as many as 30,000 jobs if its transition to EVs is too slow.

https://www.carscoop...e-fewer-powers/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 08:59 AM.

#5660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:41 PM

Volkswagen mulling Porsche IPO to help fund shift to electric – reports

Speculation about listing comes amid reports of Porsche and Piëch families considering their VW stake

https://www.theguard...c-shift-listing

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 05:41 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)