Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11499 replies to this topic

#7541 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:00 AM

At highway speeds it's even more pronounced.

There's a car dealer in the UK that put together a Youtube video with a nice big list of gas vs EVs in terms of decibles emitted as they drive at 10, 20 and 30mph, because of the line of thinking that EVs are too quiet, and therefore dangerously so. He argues they're not quiet at all, that they're just as loud, if not louder than gas vehicles.

The loudest cars on his list are Teslas, outpacing a Ford Ranger diesel pick-up in every category.

He is an EV car dealer?  Sometimes fellas just want to hate so they bring up things that can kind of make sense....  I'd like to hear from Tesla drivers when they turn their radio off...  This guy is saying a Tesla is louder that a diesel pick up at 10mph?  Do they even drive in mph in the UK?

Sharing before I watch this..

(8) Testing how LOUD the Tesla Model 3 is on the Highway! | More road noise than normal cars?? - YouTube

Odd they didn't test other cars and say that they aren't louder. 

I can't find your YouTube of the UK dealer...

Edited by Ismo07, 28 March 2023 - 11:09 AM.

#7542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:06 AM

Yes, he's an EV dealer, but argued, and proved, his point that EVs are not dangerous at low speeds due to being quiet, instead the exact opposite is true.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7543 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:07 AM

A Hybrid is not an EV, it’s not as heavy.

The data is pretty solid on the noise emissions. At normal driving speeds there is no difference, if slightly worse for the EV due to its weight.

Didn’t you just explain there is no noise difference in a hybrid?

#7544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:08 AM

Look, here's the thing. My friend just bought a Model Y and we went out the other day, him picking me up. The Model Y was louder than my vehicle. It's all about the insulation. I have double thick glass, and sound dampening, so the outside noise is heavily muted, and the motor is well insulated from causing interior noise.

I also have 22" rims, his I think are close, maybe 20", but his tire profile is much slimmer than mine and it makes a huge difference for noise.

Here's a fun fact. The original Leaf was so horrendously ugly, because they had to design it that way to minimize wind noise.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7545 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:09 AM

Didn’t you just explain there is no noise difference in a hybrid?

No difference, correct. You claim there is, but science says otherwise.

An EV is even louder than your hybrid.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#7546 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:10 AM

Yes, he's an EV dealer, but argued, and proved, his point that EVs are not dangerous at low speeds due to being quiet, instead the exact opposite is true.

Can you post it? Eventually...

Edited by Ismo07, 28 March 2023 - 11:10 AM.

#7547 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:12 AM

No difference, correct. You claim there is, but science says otherwise.

An EV is even louder than your hybrid.

Now you trust the experts? Lol

#7548 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:14 AM

Look, here's the thing. My friend just bought a Model Y and we went out the other day, him picking me up. The Model Y was louder than my vehicle with a 6.2L motor. It's all about the insulation. I have double thick glass, and sound dampening, so the outside noise is heavily muted, and the motor is well insulated from causing interior noise.

I also have 22" rims, his I think are close, maybe 20", but his tire profile is much slimmer than mine and it makes a huge difference for noise.

Here's a fun fact. The original Leaf was so horrendously ugly, because they had to design it that way to minimize wind noise.

Did you use a sound monitor?  Or you were just judging it?  You really need to drive on the same road at the same speed too...

#7549 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

You're also a lot further away from your tires in a truck as opposed to a Model Y. Its really hard to compare.

All this aside, if you compare a Model Y to say, a Mazda CX-5, which would be similar in size and profile somewhat, I doubt there's going to be a huge difference in decibel levels inside the vehicles on the same roads. Modern ICE engines aren't that loud, especially at cruise. Accelerating is different though.

• Matt R. likes this

#7550 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

Oh my truck is loud. It has all-terrain tires that are much louder. My daily driver has low profile tires on 22s but not as low profile as Tesla tires.

Accelerating comes with its own noise in an EV. There’s some sort of whine or pitch.

Know it all.

#7551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

Now you trust the experts? Lol

The guy was disagreeing with the experts. I agree with him.

Know it all.

#7552 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 01:35 PM

Anti expert?  Clown world, expert edition.

• dasmo likes this

#7553 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:01 PM

Thanks, truckers!

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#7554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:05 PM

Cox, yesterday:

https://www.coxautoi...play-available/

screenshot-www.coxautoinc.com-2023.03.28-19_03_26.png

#7555 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:29 PM

2024 Kia EV9 Offers Up To 336 Miles Of Range WLTP, 380-HP AWD Trim

Besides preliminary specifications, Kia has also revealed the GT-Line trim level that brings sportier design details.

Kia did not reveal the targeted range for the EV9 RWD Standard and EV9 AWD models, but said the ultra-fast 800 Volt charging system adds 148 miles of range in approximately 15 minutes.

https://insideevs.co...-line-exterior/

screenshot-insideevs.com-2023.03.28-19_30_04.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 March 2023 - 03:30 PM.

#7556 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:54 PM

Lucid Motors just laid off 18% of their staff.

https://techcrunch.c...-restructuring/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7557 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

So what he was arguing was that EVs are noisy enough in neighbourhoods that they won't sneak up on people....  Can you find it again?  I can't seem to..

#7558 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:31 AM

My experience is they are quieter but the tire noise is enough. I walk a narrow country road often enough to know.
What isn’t known is if it’s because I am tuned to hear all the noises of a gas car as a subconscious self defence mechanism so do I render that noise sooner vs actually measuring the two with a device that has no bias or cognition.

Edited by dasmo, 29 March 2023 - 08:33 AM.

• Mike K. and Ismo07 like this

#7559 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

So what he was arguing was that EVs are noisy enough in neighbourhoods that they won't sneak up on people....  Can you find it again?  I can't seem to..

Sure, here it is: https://www.youtube....h?v=HCkSQre9Y4c

Know it all.

#7560 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 12:24 PM

European Union countries gave final approval on Tuesday to a landmark law to end sales of new CO2-emitting cars in 2035, after Germany won an exemption for cars running on e-fuels.

The approval from EU countries' energy ministers means Europe's main climate policy for cars can now enter into force - after weeks of delay caused by last-minute opposition from Germany.

The EU law will require all new cars sold to have zero CO2 emissions from 2035, and 55% lower CO2 emissions from 2030, versus 2021 levels. The targets are designed to drive the rapid decarbonisation of new car fleets in Europe.

E-fuels are considered carbon neutral because they are made using captured CO2 emissions - which proponents say balances out the CO2 released when the fuel is combusted in an engine.

Porsche and Ferrari are among the supporters of e-fuels, which they see as a way to avoid their vehicles being weighed down by heavy batteries.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2023 - 12:27 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

m3m