Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11422 replies to this topic

#7941 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 08:09 AM

Tesla has teased its next electric car with a new image of the silhouette, and Elon Musk says it is already being built.

Today, Tesla held its annual shareholder meeting. While CEO Elon Musk said that the meeting was not the right place to make a new product announcement, he still decided to tease Tesla’s next car.

During the presentation, Musk confirmed that Tesla is currently working on two new vehicles that the automaker has yet to unveil. As the CEO discussed those, Tesla showed this silhouette of what is believed to be its next vehicle:

screenshot-electrek.co-2023.05.18-12_09_53.png

https://electrek.co/...-car-new-image/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 May 2023 - 08:10 AM.

#7942 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2023 - 08:54 AM

I suspect a larger version of the Y, and either a minivan or a smaller pickup.

#7943 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 08:57 AM

I suspect a larger version of the Y, and either a minivan or a smaller pickup.

Smaller version of Y, and van, I think.

The $30,000 car is the small Y.

• lanforod likes this

#7944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 11:23 AM

A minivan makes so much sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7945 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2023 - 05:52 PM

It seems so to me as well, especially if it also has a cargo style version for all the plumbers and electricians. Double the market.

#7946 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 05:16 AM

AI-powered RoboTire can change 4 tires twice as fast as a human

New maintenance tech can figure out how to do it

https://www.foxnews....wice-fast-human

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 May 2023 - 05:16 AM.

#7947 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 07:05 AM

Hi, welcome to Subsidy Drive-Thru Canada! Can I take your order?

I want more money.

Um, sorry, I didn’t quite get that. We’ve been having trouble with our intercom lately. Can I take your order?

Give me more money, or I’m leaving.

Uh, sorry, can you be more specific about which menu items you’d like? Here at Subsidy Drive-Thru, we have a wide variety of supports, refunds, grants, abatements, tax credits and more. All recently rebranded as Planet Saving. If you say you’re clean, we’ll give you the green. Can I take your order?

Don’t get fresh with me kid. I need you to open the till, stick your hand in and give me more money. Don’t ask too many questions; don’t impose too many conditions. And do it quick, or I swear, I’ll put this car into gear and floor it over to Joe’s Buy America Warehouse. Don’t test me.

I’m sorry sir, I wasn’t being argumentative. I’m just trying to understand how much money you would like. Here at Subsidy Drive-Thru, our motto is: The Customer is Always Right to Ask for More.

Now we’re getting somewhere. Because more is exactly what I’m after. You see, I was here earlier and I ordered the Billion Dollar Electric Battery Meal Deal and –

Oh yes, Mr. Stellantis! Welcome back! Did you enjoy your meal? I’m told it’s very filling.

Well, that’s the thing. I thought it would be. Let me tell you, between Chrysler and Fiat, I know my government subsidies, and at first, this looked very substantial. I figured I was set for years with that spread. You gave me your money, and I left satisfied.

https://www.theglobe...you-need-today/

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government is unfairly demanding that Ontario pay more to subsidize an electric-vehicle battery plant at the “11th hour,” even after cutting provincial officials out of the negotiations, the province’s premier said.

https://financialpos...al-premier-says

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 May 2023 - 07:06 AM.

#7948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 07:14 AM

Kevin O’Leary talking about the CYbErTRuCk is pure gold, Jerry!

He says it’s ugly, but that it has great potential. Finally some truth.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7949 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 12:45 AM

As seen in the wild on the internet.

IMG_3194.jpeg
  • Ismo07 likes this

#7950 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:29 AM

Chevy upgrades Silverado EV electric pickup to 450 miles of range

https://electrek.co/...50-miles-range/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 May 2023 - 02:29 AM.

#7951 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:49 AM

A new report from banking and investing giant Citi has found that Tesla now leads the automotive industry in brand loyalty by a wide margin.

With an increasing amount of competition within the automotive segment, particularly within the market of electric vehicles, a loyal following is proving to be more critical than ever. Luckily, according to a new report from banking and investing group Citi, Tesla has that in spades. Not only has Tesla surpassed traditional brand loyalty leader Ford, but it is further away from the industry average than ever before.

As initially reported by Investing.com, the analysis completed by Citi found that Tesla has a brand loyalty rate of roughly 67%, just over 20 points higher than the industry average of 46%. This means that, unlike the industry average, which is more likely to lose a customer than retain one, Tesla retains a vast majority of the customers it conquers from other brands. Citi found that the Tesla Model 3 had the highest loyalty rate for the brand, while the Tesla Model S had the lowest.

https://www.teslarat...nd-loyalty/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 May 2023 - 02:50 AM.

#7952 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 07:34 AM

2035 is a joke target. It’s an impossible date, and impractical to pretend otherwise.

The Brits are realizing their 2035 electric vehicle goals are impossible.

Challenge: The metal resource needed to make all cars and vans electric by 2050 and all sales to be purely battery electric by 2035. To replace all UK-based vehicles today with electric vehicles (not including the LGV and HGV fleets), assuming they use the most resource-frugal next-generation NMC 811 batteries, would take 207,900 tonnes cobalt, 264,600 tonnes of lithium carbonate (LCE), at least 7,200 tonnes of neodymium and dysprosium, in addition to 2,362,500 tonnes copper. This represents, just under two times the total annual world cobalt production, nearly the entire world production of neodymium, three quarters the world’s lithium production and 12% of the world’s copper production during 2018. Even ensuring the annual supply of electric vehicles only, from 2035 as pledged, will require the UK to annually import the equivalent of the entire annual cobalt needs of European industry.

- https://www.nhm.ac.u...ng-net-zer.html

Just to satisfy the UK demand for raw materials to build the EVs necessary to meet the 2035 target, would require monumental/Herculean efforts of resource extraction, and it has to be done in 11.5 years.

Not.

Happening.

Know it all.

#7953 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 07:44 AM

It’s a 2050 target.

The market going to take it that way anyway. By 2035 gas cars will be too expensive for most to want one.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 May 2023 - 07:45 AM.

#7954 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 07:50 AM

It’s 2035, 2050 is a different target.

Both are insane, however.

Know it all.

#7955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:14 AM

I don’t think it will ever happen, fully. We can’t even forecast the weather with precision.

It’s currently raining here.

Forecast sez 0% chance of rain.

I’m surprised VW is so caught up in the EV hype.

The industry is doing a good job laying out a foundation for taxpayer bailouts and subsidies and you guys are falling head over heels for it with this 2035 nonsense.

And if real life couldn’t be any more cruel, Canada has chosen VW to pump billions of dollars to for climate saving EVs, the same company that lied about and tried to cover up its dreadful emissions practices.

Know it all.

#7956 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:40 AM

It’s not hype. It’s a mandate.

#7957 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:14 AM

Ford says less is more with its electric car batteries

Ford CEO Jim Farley has said the company won't follow rivals like GM in introducing huge batteries with equally great range figures.

Don’t expect to see an electric Ford with a humongous battery pack and a wild claimed range figure anytime soon.

Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a Q&A at the company’s recent Capital Market Day the company is focussing on optimising its battery packs for efficiency, rather than plonking in huge batteries like a number of its rival brands are doing.

“Smaller batteries, less labour content, cheaper distribution,” said Mr Farley.

“When it comes to smaller batteries, I have no idea what’s going on in this industry right now. All I hear is all these announcement of 450-mile (~724km) range, and 500-mile (~805km) range.”

“There was another one today about a three-row crossover it’s going to go electric,” added Mr Farley, possibly hinting towards the recently teased Cadillac Escalade IQ that’s expected to share General Motors’ Ultium BT1 body-on-frame architecture with the Chevrolet Silverado EVGMC Hummer EV, and GMC Sierra EV.

“These batteries are huge. If you have those kinds of batteries, you will not make money. So we go to start talking about the size of batteries for the range, the efficiency,” continued Mr Farley.

“We’re not going to go to 600-mile (~966km) range. We’re trying to make the smallest possible battery for competitive range. We’re trying to get the simplicity of the product down so that we have very low labour content.”

https://www.carexper...c-car-batteries

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 04:14 AM.

#7958 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:47 AM

Buyers reminded dealerships aren't closing as Volvo launches direct sales

Volvo Car UK is informing consumers of its switch to direct-to-consumer sales in June with a reminder that this doesn't mean Volvo dealerships are closing down.

A statement released today highlighted Volvo's recent developments, including launching online new car sales, its Care By Volvo subscription offer, and online OEM-approved used car sales, and added: "In June this year we’ll be taking the next important step as the UK becomes our first 100% direct market when we close the UK wholesale channel.

"It is important to note that we are not closing the Volvo Cars retailers. They continue to be an important part of a seamless online and physical consumer experience."

Partners in its franchised network are shifting to agency model contracts which position them as a service provider for Volvo, which will be the retailer.

Volvo said its new approach to getting a Volvo car is designed around flexibility for the consumer, as there is a variety of funding options and regardless of whether someone visits a Volvo dealership, enters Volvo's 'urban studio' in London's Brent Cross shopping centre, use its website or the Volvo Cars app, and "everyone should get the same outstanding and meaningful experience".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 04:48 AM.

#7959 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,225 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:49 AM

Dear John,
I am breaking up with you but our fantastic relationship is still of tremendous value to me! You will have to move out and give me everything but until then you are welcome to continue providing me sexual relations.

Your X,
Volvo

#7960 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 12:38 PM

9BD78035-8F5E-432E-84EE-1109AA8E2FBD.jpeg

Farley (Ford CEO) and Musk to talk online on Twitter today. 2:30 our time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2023 - 12:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users