Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11555 replies to this topic

#3001 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

You haven't convinced me either.  The Model 3 is equal to a Mazda 3.  Just like we see in the condo market, "luxury" is a word thrown around too much.  Most of the luxury stuff out there is just mid range stuff and buyers have no clue what real luxury is (sorry not trying to sound elitist).  Luxury cars don't come with pleather seats, but hey maybe you think you buy high end luxury furniture at The Brick too

Nor will I invest in TSLA.  I know the question was thrown to Mike, but I think he is investing super short term, but that's an assumption too

#3002 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

I’d genuinely like to hear why that perception exists.

What exactly makes a Model 3 better than a brand new, top-trim Mazda sedan?

It doesn’t burn gas....

#3003 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Pretty big on road performance difference between the Model 3 and a Mazda 3, no?

#3004 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:39 AM

We've discussed this to death and there's no convincing you so let's not bother this time around.

The real question is why the heck you would even consider investing in a manufacturer of Mazdas that has never made a profit and yet has a market cap of $43B. If you think their product is nothing special, then an entry point at $250 is complete lunacy.

I could care less about the product. What I care about is whether there is upside to the stock so I can turn a profit.

They could be making self-combusting Christmas ornaments but if that stock will go up I’m in. Plenty of crappy companies with no revenue but promises of big things have made people copious amounts of money.

Right now Tesla investors who bought in as far as two years ago aren’t sure where they stand. Drop and run or double down?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3005 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

^so did you get in at 248 I see if dipped below that a few days ago

#3006 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:11 AM

Nope, I did not. I had a buy at $245. A dollar here and a dollar there isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but once again we're on a precipice and where it'll go is anyone's guess.

I'm willing to take a risk but at the right price. Meanwhile the bonds are still deflated. That's the barometer to watch and not the news ticker.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3007 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

I could care less about the product. What I care about is whether there is upside to the stock so I can turn a profit.

They could be making self-combusting Christmas ornaments but if that stock will go up I’m in. Plenty of crappy companies with no revenue but promises of big things have made people copious amounts of money.

Right now Tesla investors who bought in as far as two years ago aren’t sure where they stand. Drop and run or double down?

Sure I understand you don't care about the product.  But even from a purely probabilistic standpoint, if the company doesn't make good products and yet is vastly overvalued, the chance of a collapse in stock price is greater than an explosion.

And if you're gambling anyway, you're better off gambling on something that's priced lower that has more upside potential.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 11 October 2018 - 09:55 AM.

#3008 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Google announces 10 million autonomous miles driven, 7 billion driven in simulation.

They released an amazing video:  https://youtu.be/ROAwXEqDk7k

• DustMagnet likes this

#3009 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:56 AM

Nio delivered 3,268 SUV vehicles in the third quarter, 1,766 of which were delivered in September.

The stock has rebounded nicely to above $8 as of this morning.

Know it all.

#3010 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 06:35 AM

A Judge has approved the SEC Tesla settlement! Tesla is on the verge of putting their AI chip into production soon and have upgraded their self driving software significantly. Things are looking up!

#3011 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:45 AM

Every EV sold removes three or four new ICE car buyers from the auto market.

• Tesla reaches No. 4 best selling passenger car in the US and should pass Toyota Camry in Q4 to become the No. 1 selling passenger car in the US.
  • Tesla has ~90% of the US EV market space.
  • Tesla deliveries in Q3 are double the deliveries in Q2.
  • Tesla sales are projected to grow from $4B last quarter to $6.78B this quarter.  Net profit in Q3 is likely.
  • Legacy auto companies may suffer an unexpectedly rapid collapse in sales.  This collapse may already be underway.

https://seekingalpha...etition-failing

#3012 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:10 AM

Every EV sold removes three or four new ICE car buyers from the auto market.

• Tesla reaches No. 4 best selling passenger car in the US and should pass Toyota Camry in Q4 to become the No. 1 selling passenger car in the US.
  • Tesla has ~90% of the US EV market space.
  • Tesla deliveries in Q3 are double the deliveries in Q2.
  • Tesla sales are projected to grow from $4B last quarter to $6.78B this quarter.  Net profit in Q3 is likely.
  • Legacy auto companies may suffer an unexpectedly rapid collapse in sales.  This collapse may already be underway.

https://seekingalpha...etition-failing

I'm not sure I follow that headline. How does a new EV sold translate to more than one less ICE sold?

• tjv likes this

#3013 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Smart Mobility Expo in Centennial Square today (Tuesday), 11-3pm.

#3014 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Summary from the article linked. (it's the writers theory) 

-EV sales are not up by as much as ICE car sales are down. 

-When someone purchases  an EV and not a new ICE vehicle the ICE industry loses. -1

- The new EV owner often trades in a used ICE car and someone else will purchase that car so this potentially eliminates another new ICE car buyer. -2

- the new EV owner shows off his or her car, produce YouTube videos about their EV experience etc. At least two more people become convinced that their next vehicle will be an EV. -4 altogether

#3015 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:25 AM

That's a real, real stretch.

• lanforod and tjv like this

Know it all.

#3016 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

Summary from the article linked. (it's the writers theory) 

-EV sales are not up by as much as ICE car sales are down. 

-When someone purchases  an EV and not a new ICE vehicle the ICE industry loses. -1

- The new EV owner often trades in a used ICE car and someone else will purchase that car so this potentially eliminates another new ICE car buyer. -2

- the new EV owner shows off his or her car, produce YouTube videos about their EV experience etc. At least two more people become convinced that their next vehicle will be an EV. -4 altogether

That's a real, real stretch.

Wow. A stretch is generous, Mike. I'd call it nonsense. 

Happy to see Tesla deliveries ramping up though, the Q3 report will be interesting. 

#3017 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:06 PM

It’s definitely an elastic theory however the growth in demand for EVs is exponential and it’s taking sales away from traditional vehicles. This is why the traditional auto makers are scrambling to catch up....

Edited by dasmo, 16 October 2018 - 12:07 PM.

#3018 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

Nobody’s scrambling. They’re all laying plans for when the right technology comes around that makes the vehicles cheap to produce. Nobody wants to be left behind but there’s also no hysteria.

There are as many ICE vehicles built every day on this continent alone as Tesla can produce in an entire quarter. Let’s chill.

Know it all.

#3019 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:16 PM

I'm chill, as you can see by my icon....

#3020 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:28 PM

Lol, fair enough.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users