Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11539 replies to this topic

#3161 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:43 PM

Interesting, is that the US, US & Canada or the world?

I believe it’s Canada

#3162 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:50 AM

The majority of cellphones purchased today are Android devices. Why? Because phone manufacturers are smart enough to know they don’t need to reinvent the wheel and can rely on a platform upon which they can roll out their own improvements or customizations.

It’ll be the same with vehicle software. There’s no need for 50 car brands to create 50 different software platforms that will all be expected to do the exact same thing. There’s also no need to rush here. EV sales are but a speck of sand. The big manufacturers have a lot more to worry about while running their global conglomerates than what sort of software will power vehicles of the future.

It might be all about the software but a town here in Canada could see reopening some old silver mines to go after the metal used to make batteries. That town is Cobalt

The flooded bottom of an abandoned silver mine is an unlikely source of hope. But down there in the flickering light, a once worthless metal known as cobalt has sat idle for decades. Now it's one of the most sought after metals in the world and that has many in this town in northern Ontario dreaming of boom times once again. The metal has become a key component in the electric batteries that power our phones and our cars. Almost all of it is currently mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo in central Africa. Mining there has been plagued with concerns over human rights abuses, child labour and environmental issues.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eries-1.4903276

#3163 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:05 PM

Only $4M left of CEV for BC.  They are going through nearly $1M a week.   

I bet we will get an announcement about a ZEV mandate in BC within a month or so.

Sure enough, major announcement on Nov 20th by John Horgan at the leg.   Almost certainly a zero emissions mandate in BC.  

#3164 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

Here's the Quebec model which this will likely be very similar to  http://www.environne...eglement-en.pdf

#3165 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

And the annoucement is out:   Target 100% zero emissions vehicles by 2040.  Ramping up mandatory ZEV sales as percentage of total over time to get there.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 November 2018 - 12:59 PM.

#3166 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

This legislation will set targets of 10% ZEV sales by 2025, 30% by 2030, and 100% by 2040

https://news.gov.bc....PREM0082-002226

That should be an easy target.   They're already at ~4% now.

#3167 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:02 PM

Tesla is having a presentation of their solar panels, power wall, and vehicles at our clubhouse Dec. 11th.

Anyone have any questions that you would like posed?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3168 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

evshare.png

#3169 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

This legislation will set targets of 10% ZEV sales by 2025, 30% by 2030, and 100% by 2040

https://news.gov.bc....PREM0082-002226

That should be an easy target.   They're already at ~4% now.

Not that I'll be able to afford to retire, but 100% EV by then kinda kills my will to get there.

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3170 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

Volkswagen Building Massive EV Factory To Crush Tesla

https://carbuzz.com/...-to-crush-tesla

Elon's calling Barnum & Bailey "got any tents you can rent me?"

#3171 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

Not that I'll be able to afford to retire, but 100% EV by then kinda kills my will to get there.

Dont worry the way the anti car crowd is there wont be any lanes for you to drive in unless you are a Party Member anyway....you'll be relegated to a Dear Leader E-Bike

#3172 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:04 PM

Guess you’ve never driven one...

Not that it matters. Few will be driving their own cars by then

#3173 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:09 PM

Guess you’ve never driven one...

Not that it matters. Few will be driving their own cars by then

I have driven a Cayenne hybrid on battery, a Leaf and a Prius. Looking forward to trying out the A3 E-tron and the upcoming Taycan. So far I've been underwhelmed by the ones I've driven...its a good benchmark as it can only get better.

#3174 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

I have driven a Cayenne hybrid on battery, a Leaf and a Prius. Looking forward to trying out the A3 E-tron and the upcoming Taycan. So far I've been underwhelmed by the ones I've driven...its a good benchmark as it can only get better.

Neither the Prius nor Cayenne hybrids are electrics so wouldn’t apply here. Totally different beasts.

Leaf is electric but you’re talking about a first generation car that competes with other basic cars, definitely not a drivers car.

Drive a Model 3 performance, they have them in Vancouver. Or the Jaguar ipace should start showing up soon. Taycan will be good for sure but will still take a while.

BMW i3 is supposed to be good too but I haven’t tried it. Smart EV is super fun to drive, the gas version was dreadful.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 20 November 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#3175 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

How much is the installed cost for 2000 sqft. With enough battery storage for say 300 kWh/month.

#3176 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

as part of this announcement did they forecast where all the electricity capacity will come from?

also, what about the environmental costs of recycling all the EV batteries.

This province/country can't get anything built now.  Environmentalists are opposed to everything,

I know we have to start somewhere, but I am doing my part by driving less and taking public transit.

#3177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:37 AM

Luckily Site C is being built, right NDP government?

What else will this government be regretting it did or didn’t do in its rush to appeal to its base of supporters? If it had killed off Site C this 2040 announcement would have been a pie in the face moment.
  • spanky123 and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3178 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:58 AM

How much is the installed cost for 2000 sqft. With enough battery storage for say 300 kWh/month.

Of what?

#3179 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:07 AM

as part of this announcement did they forecast where all the electricity capacity will come from?

also, what about the environmental costs of recycling all the EV batteries.

This province/country can't get anything built now. Environmentalists are opposed to everything,

I know we have to start somewhere, but I am doing my part by driving less and taking public transit.

Electricity capacity is not an issue. We have enough right now, site C will add lots of capacity in 2025, and after that if we need more residential rooftop solar will be so cheap it will be easy to add it piecemeal as required.

Modern batteries are now at the point where it seems they will outlast the vehicles for almost all use cases. After that there is so much demand for batteries that they will be used for another decade in stationary storage applications. So no real volume of batteries to recycle for about 15 years at which point there will be facilities to do so.

But of course not driving at all is the best for the environment! CO2 aside there is more and more research about the health impact of traffic pollutants. This transition will make everyone a lot healthier and live longer.

#3180 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:27 AM

End up in a Tesla convoy on the Pat Bay Hwy this morning. White Model X in front of me and Red Model 3 behind me :) The look of the Model 3 is really growing on me. Love the front end, much better than the front end on my Model S. Rear is a little so so.

Love seeing more and more electric cars on the road.

Edited by MarkoJ, 21 November 2018 - 10:27 AM.

• rjag likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

max.bravo