Photo

Electric and autonomous cars in Victoria and on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
11501 replies to this topic

#3521 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

I know y’all ignore me but it was actually relevant to this conversation what I highlighted....

Sad dasmo.  You know we love you.  In my eyes you'll always be the only investor with credibility.   And balls given the investment into the highly volatile Tesla.

Last year I said that the phasing out of the tax credit is going to be biggest threat to Tesla in the near future. Looks like those challenges are starting now and they are reacting.   Will be interesting to see if they can orchestrate the shift of production to Europe, and then shift that again to China from their new factory while US sales take a dip.  That should take them to the point of being able to profitably sell the base version of the Model 3 and offer leasing which should sustain demand but it's going to be a hell of a tricky year for them.

#3522 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

Apparently Ford is readying hybrid and fully electric versions of the venerable F150 in part because they are concerned that Tesla (among others) are enough of an upcoming threat in that market.

But, I expect them to be priced to not sell like hotcakes, pardon my pessimism.

GM just hinted at the same..   "Stay tuned" for something to compete with the Tesla pickup truck.  That'll be interesting.  A good/mainstream EV pickup is at least 5 years away though.  

Edited by LeoVictoria, 18 January 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#3523 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:20 AM

The Human condition is hypocritical Mike. All things we humans do destroy something in order to create. It's a process of evolution to maybe achieve sustainability but deep down we know it's not really possible long long term.

Right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3524 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

In terms of weight I wonder if you could replace the 4x4 system in a half-ton to equip it with batteries while the motor picks up the slack once the juice is low. A winning truck needs to be reliable in that regard, but most pick-ups that never leave the city won’t need 4x4 (think municipal fleets).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3525 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

In terms of weight I wonder if you could replace the 4x4 system in a half-ton to equip it with batteries while the motor picks up the slack once the juice is low. A winning truck needs to be reliable in that regard, but most pick-ups that never leave the city won’t need 4x4 (think municipal fleets).

That's basically exactly the Workhorse W-15.   Pickup targeting the fleet market.  130km electric range + gas range extender to go further.  Supposed to be in production now but not sure if it is.   Seems the company is a bit unfocused and working on some crazy autonomous personal drones at the same time.  

https://workhorse.com/pickup/

Looks like a neat platform but I doubt the economics at $52k make sense even if you put a relatively hefty price on CO2 emissions.    Capability wise it is still only a light truck.

https://cleantechnic...nica-exclusive/

Edited by LeoVictoria, 18 January 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#3526 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Right.

Fleet trucks tend to come in at the $25k range, and even lower depending on incentives or fleet discounts. To be competitive electric alternatives would need to come in at $35k.

Know it all.

#3527 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

I would be willing to pay up to 100k for a Tesla truck with 400+ km of range. A F150 with a few options is already hitting 70k.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#3528 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

I would be willing to pay up to 100k for a Tesla truck with 400+ km of range. A F150 with a few options is already hitting 70k.

I think a very large part of the market would not.  The pretty-common XLT trim starts at $32,600, so I'd say Mike's numbers are probably right.

#3529 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

I think a very large part of the market would not.  The pretty-common XLT trim starts at $32,600, so I'd say Mike's numbers are probably right.

Every other one I see has a Lariat badge. 

It's only a matter of time (8 to 10 yrs?) before there is a 50k electric truck. So many advantages like pretty much no need for generators on construction sites anymore. Just plug the power tools into the truck.  

I am in Taichung right now and super cool EV technology here. My friend has a scooter that goes 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds, 80 km range, and the batteries you swamp at convenience stores using a card (no need to deal with a person). You walk in, drop the empty battery in a bank and pick up a fully charged one and throw it back into the scooter (no need to connect any wires). Works really well as my friend is not close a plug in his parkade. 

• rjag likes this

#3530 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

I think a very large part of the market would not. The pretty-common XLT trim starts at $32,600, so I'd say Mike's numbers are probably right.

Different market though. Workhorse is targeting the fleet market so economics is all that counts (ok some fleets will pay extra for the environmental benefits but not most).

Consumer market is mostly about consumer taste, and consumers like expensive trucks. Average sales price for trucks in Canada is over $40,000

Edited by LeoVictoria, 19 January 2019 - 08:33 AM.

#3531 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

Porsche reportedly now planning to make 40,000 of the electric Taycan per year.

That would be more than they sell of their 911.

#3532 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Ford just announced an EV partnership with VW, Porsche (owned by VW) just announced 40k cars, etc. Meanwhile Tesla’s stock price has imploded and its reducing its workforce.

Could a lot of this just be a ruse to unseat Tesla on the markets?

Know it all.

#3533 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

According to the news this morning a lot of VW owners would love to trade their lemons for a Ford, Porsche or Tesla. In fact I bet they'd take a Lada at this point.

Edited by Rob Randall, 21 January 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#3534 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Lol, speaking of which I just saw a guy driving a Lada.

Yeah...

Know it all.

#3535 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

When a greater percentage of folks are driving EV's and the gas tax revenue is thus reduced where do we expect the tax to be increased to cover the shortfall?

I remember back when they were trying to convince people to convert to NG and when they got a certain percentage converted they raised the price of NG.

Would we expect a (bigger) transportation tax on our electric bills?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3536 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Tesla just increased the cost of charging at their Superchargers by as much as 40%, depending on where the charger is located.

Know it all.

#3537 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Tesla just increased the cost of charging at their Superchargers by as much as 40%, depending on where the charger is located.

I was at Uptown tonight supercharging and first time I've seen no one there :) To supercharge a model 3 is equivalent to a car that consumers around 6L/100km.

I am all pro the increase in cost....should clear up space for us that have free supercharging for life.

Edited by MarkoJ, 21 January 2019 - 09:54 PM.

#3538 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

When a greater percentage of folks are driving EV's and the gas tax revenue is thus reduced where do we expect the tax to be increased to cover the shortfall?

I remember back when they were trying to convince people to convert to NG and when they got a certain percentage converted they raised the price of NG.

Would we expect a (bigger) transportation tax on our electric bills?

We don’t need one Mike assures us drivers already cover all the infra costs in the entire province.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#3539 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

On Vancouver Island, most definitely.

Know it all.

#3540 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

"Jaguar E-Paces delivered to customers missing irreplaceable WiFi software

Owners of SUVs permanently lacking navigation, Apple CarPlay and other digital features to be offered a $600 credit instead"

https://driving.ca/j...e-wifi-software

I don't know what to say.  I don't know if this level of "customer care" is normal in these circles but I can't imagine if I were to spend the money on an E-Pace that I would be cool with $600 in exchange for a crippled infotainment system.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users